The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roof racks, Head up displays and dash cams etc. Any after market accessory.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
For a simple work light these are hard to beat, I have them on one of the tractors. Very consistent wide beam pattern. I had one on the back of my 110 too.
edit, i have the Scene beam pattern.
I've never used roof mounted lights in the bush, I know plenty that have them but for the outlay it seems to be (IMO) expensive for for the amount of use they get, different if your farming in the UK in winter, but for general camping/overlanding I don't see the point when we have great head torches with us.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
I've never used roof mounted lights in the bush, I know plenty that have them but for the outlay it seems to be (IMO) expensive for for the amount of use they get, different if your farming in the UK in winter, but for general camping/overlanding I don't see the point when we have great head torches with us.
Here in winter its dark at 4 and light at about 8-8:30, so I’m often unloading / loading in the dark, reversing the trailer too was a big reason for a high level light. I had the flush mounted one on the defender. I don't like a roof mounted driving light as it reflects off the bonnet / bull bar..

Attachments

• 854C324E-29BD-4977-BD1E-B13147164B6D.jpeg
    854C324E-29BD-4977-BD1E-B13147164B6D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 53

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
Here in winter its dark at 4 and light at about 8-8:30, so I’m often unloading / loading in the dark, reversing the trailer too was a big reason for a high level light. I had the flush mounted one on the defender. I don't like a roof mounted driving light as it reflects off the bonnet / bull bar..
Yes @Tom D I can fully appreciate the need for your business in the depths of winter (y)

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:02 AM
Reaction score
On the subject of head-up displays… came across this one:

Australian retailer:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
On the subject of head-up displays… came across this one:

Australian retailer:
This is what I'm thinking now - just a basic on-screen HUD with speed, temp, fuel. Thats about all I want. If we can get Tacho on their that would be great!

MilesD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
agree Tom, Petzl reactive tech good, unfortunately I found output too low and battery life not so good for extended use. Discovered Exposure lights for night time MTB biking - can take serious abuse, be handheld/head mounted etc, fantastic build quality and light throw. sadly make all other lights look vv cheap @-)

Del

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know the overall height with roof bars. Normal clean height is shown as 2036mm.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
agree Tom, Petzl reactive tech good, unfortunately I found output too low and battery life not so good for extended use. Discovered Exposure lights for night time MTB biking - can take serious abuse, be handheld/head mounted etc, fantastic build quality and light throw. sadly make all other lights look vv cheap @-)
The petzl’s come in a wide range of outputs, the NAO that I have is very bright.

Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score

Front runner now have a full length available and a 3/4 it would seem.
I’d like to install a rooftop tent directly on the roof. It appears that the 4 rubber strips are all in the same plane so am brainstorming how to secure it to gutters and/or existing cylindrical roof handles. If this were possible the overall height might solve parking clearance problems for members. Thoughts??

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
I’d like to install a rooftop tent directly on the roof. It appears that the 4 rubber strips are all in the same plane so am brainstorming how to secure it to gutters and/or existing cylindrical roof handles. If this were possible the overall height might solve parking clearance problems for members. Thoughts??
If I remember right, are the cylindrical roof handles not strong enough to fix roof tents etc.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would be comfortable using the roof to carry occasional loads but never to have something like a roof tent fixed directly to it Permanently. The sound of the movement between tent and roof would be unbearable offroad and there would be wearing of tent base or roof strips I think. Even when using a roof rack with a tent on things can go wrong. Fixings working loose or breaking free from my own experienceIMG_3048.jpeg. I attach a photo of what happened to us in 2019 after some heavy off road use in Mauritania. Some fixings had worked loose even with thread lock and lock nuts and the remaining fixings ripped out of the slots in the slats of the roof rack.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I would be comfortable using the roof to carry occasional loads but never to have something like a roof tent fixed directly to it Permanently. The sound of the movement between tent and roof would be unbearable offroad and there would be wearing of tent base or roof strips I think. Even when using a roof rack with a tent on things can go wrong. Fixings working loose or breaking free from my own experienceView attachment 7807699. I attach a photo of what happened to us in 2019 after some heavy off road use in Mauritania. Some fixings had worked loose even with thread lock and lock nuts and the remaining fixings ripped out of the slots in the slats of the roof rack.
You wouldn't be covered by insurance or warranty in Australia I could guarantee that

Local time
Reaction score
Hey JG - have you figured out yet how you will mount the ARB Base rack to the IG? I really like the utility of the new rack!
Had a Slimline II rack on the Disco for the RTW expedition (pictured below).

Pluses:
  • Robust design, with some options wrt assembly (although your description is inaccurate - the cross rails cannot be slid back and forth without driling new holes, you can simply opt to delete some when assembling the rack
  • Excellent range of accessories
  • Looks good on the vehicle
Negatives:
  • Not great quality of powder coating, with delamination occuring in several locations
  • Fasteners prone to corrosion
  • Had mechanical failure (due to fatigue) of both roof attachment beams - noting typical load shown below, with jerry cans usually empty. So not much weight up there.
To be fair to Frontrunner, there might be a bit more E-W flex in my vehicle (it has the panorama roof) than the rack design conceives.

I do like the system but at this stage am planning on an ARB Base Rack for the IG.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone know the overall height with roof bars. Normal clean height is shown as 2036mm.
I thought height without bars was 2050. But would need at a very minimum an additional 100mm for bars I would think.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey JG - have you figured out yet how you will mount the ARB Base rack to the IG? I really like the utility of the new rack!
Yes, they have a gutter mounting kit available (see link). I don’t see it on their website or on the wall at St Peters but they were kicking around at the last Sydney 4WD show. Their steel racks are probably a more durable option but they lack the nifty engineering of the modular system.

Back
Top Bottom