The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Price shock (US)

Clunster

Production/Transit
Local time
9:04 PM
Reaction score
Hi Christian - I think we're all in the same boat here. A few weeks back I spec'd the truck the way I truly want it in both UK and Aus prices and then used XE.com to convert into USD. There's lots of room for error, but when I do that it fits in my budget (barely). There are certainly things I will forgo need be to drop the price if I need to once US figures are announced.

If I am honest though, my true worry is d-bag dealers and their "market adjustment fees." I really do want a Grenadier - I have since the project got underway - but I will not pay over list. It's not right how dealers get away with it and what's worse, the manufacturers are helpless because of our own state laws. I'm not sure about the direct sales logistics working out (someone posted a map on a different thread) so maybe some states can offer direct sales through Ineos, but I know for a fact that my state, NJ, is not one of them. I have expressed to others that I am willing to travel to not get ripped off! I bought a Ford Raptor a few years back down in Florida because the dealer four miles from my house wanted $10k over when the order banks first opened. I said thanks but no thanks but a few months later, they had the balls to call to see if I was still interested and that the adjustment was up to $15k. Screw that. Greedy bastards.
INEOS have zero tolerance when it comes to that sort of thing. I can't see them accepting any sort of dealer price inflation, it's not how they do business.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:04 PM
Reaction score
I do not disagree, but the unfortunate reality is that Ineos can’t really prevent it. I can again only speak to New Jersey, but it is illegal for manufacturers to sell directly to the consumer. Manufacturers sell to dealers and then dealers to customers.

Not sure if you saw my other post, but the Ford dealership around the corner has marked up a Raptor Bronco $25,000 and Ford is helpless. They can threaten and balk and say all the right things, but the practice continues. Dodge (Hellcats), Honda (Type-R), Toyota (GR Carolla, Supra), Ford (Raptors, Focus RS, Broncos), are just a few off the top of my head that have seen some stupid markups.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
I do not disagree, but the unfortunate reality is that Ineos can’t really prevent it. I can again only speak to New Jersey, but it is illegal for manufacturers to sell directly to the consumer. Manufacturers sell to dealers and then dealers to customers.

Not sure if you saw my other post, but the Ford dealership around the corner has marked up a Raptor Bronco $25,000 and Ford is helpless. They can threaten and balk and say all the right things, but the practice continues. Dodge (Hellcats), Honda (Type-R), Toyota (GR Carolla, Supra), Ford (Raptors, Focus RS, Broncos), are just a few off the top of my head that have seen some stupid markups.
Ineos can refuse to supply that dealer or put a clause in their dealers agreement which stops them from doing it.
Apple originally stopped their dealers from giving discounts here in Australia but that was stopped as being restraint of trade.
May have the same problem with markups as well.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
1:04 PM
Reaction score
“So these are my comments and observations as well as the information that we were given during the talk. they made it clear that if anyone was filming that the Q&A session would not be as candid and lose.

Overall a very casual event, some people brought along a +1 didn't seem to be an issue. There were about 20 people there. The Grenadier was presented with the bonnet' hood closed, all other doors open. It is a static display.

The vehicle just to see as it the only one in the USA at the moment. It is here for several months on the countrywide roadshow in the USA and Canada. It looked better and in more proportion in the flesh than in renderings or online.Delivery mid 2023 hoping for August, delays due to certification for USA market.130 prototypes around the world testing.5 figures number for reservations held globally.Over 3k USA reservations held.Oct - Nov USA test drives anticipated. USA orders expected to be delivered August 23.UK & Europe deliveries August / September, SA and OZ 4th quarter of this year.Dealerships sales model not direct sale, dealers will be setup by spring of next year in NA earlier in the other markets.Pricing confirmed later this year for the NA market, indicated to be around 75K USD.

Price 4th quarter this year, with a frozen time window only for reservation holders to decide on purchasing or not.

Sadly can’t commit to ruling out dealer price gouging but will try their best to deter.

Speaking to BMW for servicing in NA but can’t confirm at this point.

Service primarily handled by the selling dealer or Bosch accredited service centers as well as some other independents.

Central and South American markets not decided on yet for sales.No diesel for NA market in this generation. Is there the option for Ad Blue tank replacement with fuel tanks, no for USA market but have spoken to some suppliers in Australia as possibility for the future. 1.1 million miles of testing completed aiming fir 1.2 no catastrophic failures.40% of options are on website at the moment, spring this year the full configuration will be published more choice content and flexibility. Essentially the configurator is a preliminary one and the full one will be released int he spring. Some options will not be ready for the initial deliveries and will not be on the configurator, as these become available they will be included online. They will have driving experience centre but not sure where in the USA it will beDriving experiences coming this year to us and Canada , full test drives for the customer. Electrification is in the future and they are looking into it closely.Fuel cell is in the near future partnered with Hyundai and BMW and is the direction they want to go due to the duty cycle of the vehicle.No heated front windshield, just vents and blowers.No heated steering wheel, if you want it then contact them and ask, if there is demand then they will look at it, its a steering wheel just designed for them, not off the shelf unit so some reengineering is necessary, they have raised the issue before but Sir Jim wears gloves. Quoted figures
Towing 7716lbs

Payload about 1000kg but tbc depending on final weightGround clearance 10.4"Length 194"Height 80"Width 84"Interior dimensions are basically locked in 6’4” can fit comfortably

Max speed limited to just over 100mph.
No blackout screen for the safari windows, but there will be a solar reflective tint applied to them.On 33” tires max from INEOS, aftermarket for larger wheel tire combinations and lifts. Pre wired front and rear terminal boxes. For auxy switchgear with controls wired back to the cabin.Housebattery under rear seat. Starting battery in engine bay.Front and rear winch capacity. Regular low octane fuel can be used no problem.Braking same across the board, caliper size and disc etc. Observations

Seats hug well, bolstering fine and comfortable for the 3 minutes I sat, seating position natural, didn't sit in the rear seats, time ran out.

The bottom of the front radiators are in line with the bottom of the tow hooks.Bottom of the rear valence is in line with the bottom of the differential. All of the running gear is tucked up really well Underneath Rear door setup final.

Rear ladder is very close to the rear glazing, maybe 4" clearance, aftermarket protection for the window is the way I'd go.

The overall feel of the Grenadier is one of it being substantial, the nuts and bolts underneath are more akin to commercial vehicles than consumer.

Not sure where the online maintenance instructions stop. Will look into if it covers engine and gearbox etc. Deep sump or extra baffling for engine, don’t know will look into it.

Sorry I don't have more but it was a good event, I'm sure that others will ask more questions, the group I was with spent almost 20 minutes talking about California pricing and options for buying direct from INEOS overseas.

Very glad I went, and now the long wait. Oh, the baby blue Grenadier looks much better in person than online, but thats just my opinion.

Stu”

This is from the transcript I took of the LA event for the 2b tour back in January

In the USA dealer price gouging is basically beyond the direct control of INEOS, they can try and deter by reducing availability of vehicles to offending dealerships and that’s pretty much it.

Obviously the time frames have come and gone but it’s pretty representative overall of what we’re in for I think.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos can refuse to supply that dealer or put a clause in their dealers agreement which stops them from doing it.
Apple originally stopped their dealers from giving discounts here in Australia but that was stopped as being restraint of trade.
May have the same problem with markups as well.
I hope you are right, but I’m not going to hold my breath. It’s going to be very interesting to see who Ineos pair themselves with here. BMW dealers don’t inspire my confidence.

Clunster

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score

INEOS have a very different ethos to Ford. I know your car franchise laws are different to ours but assuming IA operates is the same way as the rest of the group I'd bet their contracts with dealers covering sale price are watertight. Would be a good question to put to Greg Clarke in Raleigh.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My point wasn’t against Ford, but rather the dealership responsible for representing them. Perhaps unfairly, but I put very little faith in the ethical direction of most stealerships. I thoroughly hope the case with Ineos and their chosen partners is as customer friendly as all appearances elsewhere have demonstrated.

Local time
Reaction score
Just spent the afternoon visiting various dealers around Trenton NJ. I need a new truck quickly.
All the dealers were great and upfront. MSRP at all of them no “added” fees. 👍🏻

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What about Tesla ~ seems they have an interesting history in NJ?

Selling direct under their own dealer licence back in 2012.

Banned from selling direct under a new regulation introduced in 2014 but turned their stores into being galleries, where you can see the car and ask questions of the staff, but they don't discuss price or complete a sale in the store. That was done at their Manhattan store just over the river in Chelsea or the King of Prussia store near Philadelphia. Alternatively, you could just order from the website for delivery in New Jersey.

2015 - granted an exemption to sell cars direct at a limited number of locations but still operating more "gallery" sites.

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They're the only MFG to have an exception here. I believe it had to do with them being "green" but I'm not sure.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea. But I do know that ford has huge municipal and governmental contracts and Tesla does not, so a fair comparison would be what was the lobbying specifically intended for. But this is going very off topic now and quite frankly is a moot point.

What I do know, as it stood at the start of the year.

We were told by the EVP of INEOS automotive in the US at the LA viewing. We all flogged this conversation for about 10 minutes of the session and there was no deviation

There will be no direct sales buy INEOS in the USA. At this time. They are going the dealer route. The reasons sighted were delays to deliver because of additional red tape, reluctance being involved in numerous court cases pertaining to direct sales. All for a very small number of vehicles, it was sighted a simply not being worth it and not having funds to achieve that direct sales model.

Sadly as that is for us in the USA.

I wonder if BMW also had their say on how the vehicles are sold as well. Who knows.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Further to my last, I’d love to hear from anyone that’s been to one of the North American viewings if they have anything further to add, and if they were told anything different.

One thing I forgot to mention was that the factory delivery option was raised as a way to circumvent dealer markup and the answer was “I’m not sure, possibly. “

I’ll pull the transcript and see if there was anything I missed.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:04 PM
Reaction score
Don’t underestimate the power of lobbying in the USA.

View attachment 7798218

Funny numbers.

It counts in tens if not hundreds of millions in Germany - let alone Europe 😲.

Below you only see the "official" numbers which had been "approved" by the German Government. The dark figure is of a different order of magnitude.

Screenshot_20221220_192253.png

Local time
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea. But I do know that ford has huge municipal and governmental contracts and Tesla does not, so a fair comparison would be what was the lobbying specifically intended for. But this is going very off topic now and quite frankly is a moot point.

What I do know, as it stood at the start of the year.

We were told by the EVP of INEOS automotive in the US at the LA viewing. We all flogged this conversation for about 10 minutes of the session and there was no deviation

There will be no direct sales buy INEOS in the USA. At this time. They are going the dealer route. The reasons sighted were delays to deliver because of additional red tape, reluctance being involved in numerous court cases pertaining to direct sales. All for a very small number of vehicles, it was sighted a simply not being worth it and not having funds to achieve that direct sales model.

Sadly as that is for us in the USA.

I wonder if BMW also had their say on how the vehicles are sold as well. Who knows.
If so they might as well slap a bmw logo on it.

Back
Top Bottom