The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas USA Buying Process--Beware (dealer vehicle pricing and business practices)

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:16 AM
Reaction score
Dealers take anti-export restrictions extremely seriously. It's something that can lead to losing your franchise.
The manufacturer can also refuse to sell you new cars in the future. Especially if they feel their franchise contract could be pulled. Rolex has pulled the rug from under ADs for catering to flippers. Mercedes, Porsche, Ineos could do the same.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
Dealers take anti-export restrictions extremely seriously. It's something that can lead to losing your franchise.
I'm talking about sales to consumers. But anything for export (I want to ship to X country) is controlled by the State Department and Commerce department. If I were to export my newly bought Grenadier to a country that Ineos did not like - but was not restricted by the US government - Ineos would be powerless to stop it.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
The manufacturer can also refuse to sell you new cars in the future. Especially if they feel their franchise contract could be pulled. Rolex has pulled the rug from under ADs for catering to flippers. Mercedes, Porsche, Ineos could do the same.
They are totally within their rights to do that, correct.

Mr.Espresso

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
Chopard is where your watch money should go… take a look, you might like what you see!!! Rolex is for your accountant!

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Chopard is where your watch money should go… take a look, you might like what you see!!! Rolex is for your accountant!
Nice but I'm not an Chopard guy at all. Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko, Blancpain, Tudor are my jam. If I splurge it's probably going to be a Lange. I did buy my Rolex before the boom, so I didn't have your typical modern experience.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They are totally within their rights to do that, correct.
Yep. In my area the dealership fired @6 employees for flipping highly desirable LR vehicles when supply chain stuff was at its peak. These employees in sales, finance,, etc…were making $50-$75K over sticker on vehicles they purchased themselves for the sole purpose of flipping them. They only got to do it once, maybe twice before they got fired, but other dealers will hire them so it’s easy money.

Mr.Espresso

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Nice but I'm not an Chopard guy at all. Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko, Blancpain, Tudor are my jam. If I splurge it's probably going to be a Lange. I did buy my Rolex before the boom, so I didn't have your typical modern experience.
Don’t get me wrong, I love Rolex, but the AD bullshit / false-scarcity just ruins the brand for me. Too many dudes, in shiny suits, who play golf thinking they are someone with their Rolex. Great product, ruined by the sales experience. Just my personal opinion.

Local time
Reaction score
I'm talking about sales to consumers. But anything for export (I want to ship to X country) is controlled by the State Department and Commerce department. If I were to export my newly bought Grenadier to a country that Ineos did not like - but was not restricted by the US government - Ineos would be powerless to stop it.
There are a ton of groups that use straw buyers to purchase vehicles for grey market export to other countries. OEMs are extremely strict about this and if they see a North American VIN in another country they find the dealer it was originally sold to and look at registration data to see if it was purchased for export use. If the dealer facilitated this, they can easily lose their franchise or be otherwise severely penalized by the OEM. It's one of the few things that dealers actually can get in trouble for.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Dealers want sales, any kind of sales, because there’s two real ways to make money. High volume, won’t have, or service departments. Considering how much warranty work is going on they should be licking their chops at that.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Dealers want sales, any kind of sales, because there’s two real ways to make money. High volume, won’t have, or service departments. Considering how much warranty work is going on they should be licking their chops at that.
All I can say is it is a mistake to not reach out to everyone on their resold list.
These are slam dunk deals, unless they blow it.

Only an idiot would not call everyone and keep them on the hook. They don’t have to ask for money, they just need to let you know that they care, and are ready and waiting to serve you when your vehicle gets here.
In sales, they call it buying it back after it’s already sold. When you screw up by over talking, or taking your customer for granted, and you lose the sale, your efforts (whatever they were or weren’t), resulted in you buying back a sale that was already made.
It literally cost about five minutes per customer on their list. So the potential yield is huge. And the potential loss.
It cost millions to get a new customer, it costs almost nothing to keep your old ones.

Mr.Espresso

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
All I can say is it is a mistake to not reach out to everyone on their resold list.
These are slam dunk deals, unless they blow it.

Only an idiot would not call everyone and keep them on the hook. They don’t have to ask for money, they just need to let you know that they care, and are ready and waiting to serve you when your vehicle gets here.
In sales, they call it buying it back after it’s already sold. When you screw up by over talking, or taking your customer for granted, and you lose the sale, your efforts (whatever they were or weren’t), resulted in you buying back a sale that was already made.
It literally cost about five minutes per customer on their list. So the potential yield is huge. And the potential loss.
It cost millions to get a new customer, it costs almost nothing to keep your old ones.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold your horses. THAT MADE TOO MUCH SENSE!!!! :) You must have been speaking to Sergio Marchionne at Alfa Romeo circa 2017.

Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I like minimal contact. I don’t need to be petted all along the way. I got an intro call, followed a few weeks later with “your vehicle is entering production and was assigned a VIN”. I never asked for the VIN, so I called Monday to get it, and after a little digging found it’s sitting port at Baltimore!

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Whoa whoa whoa, hold your horses. THAT MADE TOO MUCH SENSE!!!! :) You must have been speaking to Sergio Marchionne at Alfa Romeo circa 2017.
I’ve screwed up before, and it was expensive.
And humbling.😒
I like minimal contact. I don’t need to be petted all along the way. I got an intro call, followed a few weeks later with “your vehicle is entering production and was assigned a VIN”. I never asked for the VIN, so I called Monday to get it, and after a little digging found it’s sitting port at Baltimore!
That’s the point.
It doesn’t take much.
“No slack line” in salesman’s parlance.

Mr.Espresso

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve screwed up before, and it was expensive.
And humbling.😒

That’s the point.
It doesn’t take much.
“No slack line” in salesman’s parlance.
I 2nd all of this!!! @Lord Ripon USA , it seems we went to the same school of business!

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Most people don’t want over communication but do need some communication. When I received the email about dealer assignments I reached out a few days later and received an immediate call back. Once I saw dealers had vehicles, I dropped in on my local dealer. They provided my VIN to me and I scheduled a test drive as they had already started them. At no point during all of this has my dealer ever reached out to me.

The point being the consumer is reliant on the dealer to get the vehicle in their hands. If the dealer opts to not take 30 minutes a day or even a week to provide updates then they won‘t have a customer base that will promote them to other potential customers. Word of Mout is extremely important with new businesses/startups.

Mr.Espresso

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Most people don’t want over communication but do need some communication. When I received the email about dealer assignments I reached out a few days later and received an immediate call back. Once I saw dealers had vehicles, I dropped in on my local dealer. They provided my VIN to me and I scheduled a test drive as they had already started them. At no point during all of this has my dealer ever reached out to me.

The point being the consumer is reliant on the dealer to get the vehicle in their hands. If the dealer opts to not take 30 minutes a day or even a week to provide updates then they won‘t have a customer base that will promote them to other potential customers. Word of Mout is extremely important with new businesses/startups.

Do you mind sharing who your dealer is?

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting thing is that my dealer has 2 “upcoming events“ listed on their website yet no emails from them announcing these. Not sure how many preorders are coming into this dealer but would be easy for them to send an email and try to get more attendance

Back
Top Bottom