The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas USA Buying Process--Beware (dealer vehicle pricing and business practices)

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
4:29 AM
Reaction score
Tesla found a loophole which is slowly closing. The laws written never accounted for a electric cars. Tesla can sell because they are electric are are made in states. Ineos indicated that they could have gone to court to fight but that it would have been a 3 year process with no guarantee that they would win. So instead of a 2023 delievery, it would have been 2026.
I will probably compose a purchase offer letter, specifying what I am willing to pay, and what I am not, and start circulating it to dealers to see who it is that wants to sell me a car.
There’s enough time between now and when my vehicle might be put on a boat that there is probably a dealer that is happy to do the processing for me. It’s not like they’re ever going to see it again after I get it.
I will have to fly somewhere to pick it up anyway.

Local time
1:29 AM
Reaction score
I would love to see potential owners and current owners (in the US) gather to come up with a better approach (co-op, owner owned dealer, …)

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@DDG Ineos also sent an email out that explained the reasoning for refund. I believe they are force to go this route because of our dealership model. In other countries, they are agents who help with the purchase and sale of the Grenadier. Here in America, the dealership buys the car from Ineos and then sells it to you. The deposit of 450 was a deposit to Ineos. Since your not buying from Ineos but dealer, they must refund your money. The people whose cars are builded seem to being getting the refunds first.
Sounds like email was somewhat random as well. Some got it, some didn't and some got it a few weeks after they got their refund.

Dagger22

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve had a very disheartening experience with this whole process. 2021 reservation and put my order in immediately in June. I selected the Danbury, CT dealership. I spoke to IA by phone and by email a few weeks back and was told it was in the dealer’s hands and everything was “in order” on IA’s system. I’ve tried unsuccessfully to contact them (Curry Ineos in Danbury). No one has answered the phone, returned messages, or replied to emails. Then I noticed a refund of my initial $450 reservation fee to my checking account. So it seems as though Ineos and/or Curry has decided not to finalize the Grenadier I ordered.
I tried one more time to call this morning and spoke to a nice receptionist; however, the sales person did not pick up the phone. Incredibly strange way to end my Grenadier journey but if it’s THIS bad just trying to speak to someone, what will the actual service be like? Seven years of actively following and pursuing this vehicle. Many other customers have build dates and even tentative deliveries and I’m left wondering what the hell happened. I’ve never expected to be catered to, but I’ve also never had to fight so hard to spend $95k.
As others have mentioned already, IA sent out an email about the refund. The following is a quote from the email:

"Don’t worry – refunding your reservation fee doesn’t affect your pre-order in any way. As we process refunds back to the original payment method, you’ll see the credit appear on your credit card or bank statement."

As for the dealership, I have yet to reach anyone via phone either (not for the lack of trying). I have, however, had a number of emails with Michael Hanley, Sales Manager. He's been very responsive but sounded like he was the only one answering emails and that they are in the process of or have hired an additional person to help him. For whatever reason, Micheal also mentioned that they still had limited access to the IA database. That said, he was able to confirm my pre-order was in the system and provide an ETA on delivery which IA just updated on their website (again as mentioned multiple times on the forum, the website is not a great source of info).

Don't give up just yet. I'm guessing your pre-order is still live. Maybe leave a message and/or email with Michael (DM me and I'll give you his email; not sure he wants it posted on the forum just yet).

Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone have any actual clarity on why IA chose this model, versus the Tesla sales model?
I resent getting rolled over after sticking with them and providing an interest free loan for almost 5 years.
Setting up a new sales network in the US would be very expensive. Why should INEOS shell out that much cash, when there are private dealers willing to make the investment? Not to mention all the different dealer franchise laws in each of the fifty states that would have to be challenged.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Warner.ineosgrenadier.com. I am the General Manager. - Tony Warner m: +1-801-580-5336. Cory Lovoi is the Sales Manager. How can we help?

MSRP only. Our DOC fees are $299, plus registration fees $275 for in-state (UT) or $95 for out-of-state temp tag.
Thank you, Tony! I actually just spoke with Cory right before I saw this reply. Looking forward to meeting you all next month! Exciting times!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Warner.ineosgrenadier.com. I am the General Manager. - Tony Warner m: +1-801-580-5336. Cory Lovoi is the Sales Manager. How can we help?

MSRP only. Our DOC fees are $299, plus registration fees $275 for in-state (UT) or $95 for out-of-state temp tag.
Thanks for the clarification Tony, I've updated the quick reference post!

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, at least with Triad, the "documentation fee" is applied even for out of state purchases, which means that they do nothing other than process the purchase and send me paperwork. I'll fly down there to pick up the vehicle with a license plate and registration in hand from my state (and have already paid my state for the taxes/tags/etc). As I've stated before, it's a blatant mark up and pure profit with a deceptive name added to it
Have you heard anything from Triad in the past few weeks? Outside of a rather "central location" for NC (ocean to the mountains) and out of the chaos of Raleigh, I would really like to understand the reasoning IA selected a Bentley dealership to handle an off road/on road vehicle.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Have you heard anything from Triad in the past few weeks? Outside of a rather "central location" for NC (ocean to the mountains) and out of the chaos of Raleigh, I would really like to understand the reasoning IA selected a Bentley dealership to handle an off road/on road vehicle.
Their dealer chain has lots of car brands (26 brands and 31 stores across 6 states), the initial address listed by Ineos was for the CDJR store in South Charlotte; I'm assuming it was switched to the location of Bentley of High Point because of space and centrality in the state.

As far as hearing from them, I emailed Jamal 2 weeks ago with a few questions (like confirming my build sheet), and got a reply in a few days

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Their dealer chain has lots of car brands (26 brands and 31 stores across 6 states), the initial address listed by Ineos was for the CDJR store in South Charlotte; I'm assuming it was switched to the location of Bentley of High Point because of space and centrality in the state.

As far as hearing from them, I emailed Jamal 2 weeks ago with a few questions (like confirming my build sheet), and got a reply in a few days
So then that gives them inside opportunity when IA expands dealerships into other states. I admit High Point much more friendlier to get to than South Charlotte. I remember Charlotte far enough back to when it was safe to bike from UNCC to Independence Blvd 😂
If at all possible, not planning on needing future assistance from Triad - but one never knows. Wander what /how their hiring for 4x4 mechanics is progressing. Am I wrong to think mechanics from a Bentley to a Grenadier might be just a wee bit different??

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wander what /how their hiring for 4x4 mechanics is progressing. Am I wrong to think mechanics from a Bentley to a Grenadier might be just a wee bit different??
I would imagine as with many other dealers, same exact techs, just different (additional) vehicle specific training

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
RTGT in Oregon sells at MSRP, no sales tax, dealer “paperwork/Doc fees” in Oregon is capped at $150. Only bunk fee we get is a corporate tax which is like $.03%. If you reside in another state, consider the Montana or Dakota “loophole” for registration
$115 to be exact. I am calculating DMV fees to be about $250 (title and registration), but add $60 if you live in Clackamas and Washington counties, and $120 for Multnomah county.

Undecided

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Regarding the dealers that Ineos selected - I'm hypothesizing that Ineos wanted dealers in certain geographic areas as well as these initial dealerships to be part of larger "dealership groups" for subsequent expansion. I don't believe any dealership group got more than 1 of the initial dealerships (let me know if I'm wrong on this). This was likely the "carrot and stick" to hold the dealers to MSRP. If a dealer charges a markup or quickly has "used" 50 mile Grenadiers on the lot marked-up - Ineos can withhold future dealerships from the group.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Regarding the dealers that Ineos selected - I'm hypothesizing that Ineos wanted dealers in certain geographic areas as well as these initial dealerships to be part of larger "dealership groups" for subsequent expansion. I don't believe any dealership group got more than 1 of the initial dealerships (let me know if I'm wrong on this). This was likely the "carrot and stick" to hold the dealers to MSRP. If a dealer charges a markup or quickly has "used" 50 mile Grenadiers on the lot marked-up - Ineos can withhold future dealerships from the group.
The dealership in Seattle is a high end used car dealer. Never have they sold vehicles new.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Seattle group is part of Gee, who also got Boise according to the manager at Elliott Bay.

Local time
Reaction score
Curious...

on CarGurus (UK) there are about 20 'ish' Grenadiers for sale. A few months back (maybe longer than that) the prices were near list or maybe a bit above. There were fewer cars then but now the prices have settled in at what I would expect for a pre-covid used car price.

Here is my question: Does the deal between dealers and Ineos prohibit selling a new Grenadier at below MSRP?

Has anybody seen a thread that talks about how many of the pre-orders cancelled? I've been following the "anyone else considering returning..." thread but it's kind of gone off.

JATT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Unable to find a clear answer to the below 2 questions.

1. Is the max production of IGs from the factory is capped at 25,000 MAX per year?
2. For US, are the numbers capped at 5000/year only? or could it be any number as long as they can sell.

Thanks in advance.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Unable to find a clear answer to the below 2 questions.

1. Is the max production of IGs from the factory is capped at 25,000 MAX per year?
2. For US, are the numbers capped at 5000/year only? or could it be any number as long as they can sell.

Thanks in advance.
Good luck. I don't know how one would find this info, if it even exists, or what value it would have to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom