The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas USA Buying Process--Beware (dealer vehicle pricing and business practices)

Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
I'm going to post a bit of a long thread, telling my story about a recent purchase, as a way of educating U.S.A. buyers who may not already know this. The tldr (too long didn't read) version of this story is--you are not buying a car from Ineos. You are buying it from a dealer. The dealer orders it for you. When it arrives, it's theirs. Then they sell it to you, if you agree to their price.

So, here goes.

I ordered an F150 Lightning (the electric truck) in June of 2021. I got a call from the dealer in August 2022, saying they could allocate one to me. So, I went through the Ford website, chose my color and options, and placed the order with Ford. Everything on the Ford website made it look like I was buying directly from Ford. The price was set at MSRP. (At the time, there were people paying WAY over MSRP. $10,000 over was about average.) The dealer signed off on the order, and left the "additional markup" line blank. I thought I had a deal at MSRP.

Later, after reading forums, I learned that dealers were accepting orders, then telling people that they were charging above MSRP after the order was placed. You could switch dealers between pre-order and order, but not after the order was placed. So at that point they think they have you. If you refuse to pay their markup, then they get an even bigger markup from the guy who can walk on the lot and buy one and skip the line.

So I started looking back at my order from Ford. It sure looked like a contract. The web page did have a FAQ button, though. I clicked that, and on that other page, Ford clearly states that your "order" is not an agreement to purchase at a set price. It only allows Ford to build a vehicle for you and send it to the dealer. Final price is negotiated between the dealer and the buyer.

I called my dealer, and sure enough, they told me they wanted $5,000 over MSRP. Told me if I refused it, they could sell it for $10,000 over (which was true at the time). I told them that I believed I had a contract, and that they had their opportunity to add the markup when the order was placed. There was even a box for the markup. They submitted the order with that box blank.

When the truck arrived in October 2022, I went to the dealer, looked it over, and said "Looks good. I can write you a check for MSRP and take it home." They would not sell it to me for MSRP at that time. So I walked. They threatened to sell it out from under me if I walked out. I turned around and said, "No you won't. That's my truck, and I'm buying it at the price we agreed to." I waited 3 days, and they called again and threatened to sell it. (All of this was accompanied by emails to document our conversations.)

Finally I got a standard "Thank you for buying from us" email from the general manager. I replied to that, telling my story, and copied a mid level manager that I knew from previous purchases. He called me, apologized, and told me to come get the truck at the agreed price.

So here's the deal. In the USA, in most states, manufacturers can not sell directly to car buyers. Tesla and others have been trying to break those laws down, with varying success. But in the case of Ineos, they clearly are not going to fight the fight. They are using existing dealers.

The bottom line--you will not know what your vehicle will cost until you make a deal with the dealer. It is their car to sell. I am hoping that Ineos has paid attention to the Ford fiasco, and has chosen dealers who will not do what the Ford dealers were doing. (Many of these dealers had their vehicle allocations reduced by Ford in response to their shady tactics.) So, GET YOUR DEAL IN WRITING FROM THE DEALER AHEAD OF TIME!!! Don't just order it and hope the dealer sells it to you for what you expect. Otherwise, when it gets there, there will be someone willing to pay $20,000 more than you ordered it for, to jump the line and buy the vehicle sitting on the lot. That's quite an enticement for the dealer to sell it to someone else.

Perhaps someone in contact with Ineos can add some insight into their dealer contracts, so we can have some peace of mind. Maybe they have made them sign a deal that says "You get to sell our vehicles if you sell them for what we tell you to sell them for." If not, when these things hit the US, the prices may be insane for a while.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:41 AM
Reaction score
This is car buying in the US....

There's nothing to "beware" of

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be rude at all. I see that you're fairly new to the forum, but the price and buying process has been turned and churned for months.

I'm not sure how it was possibly misconstrued as a "dealerless" purchase, but some people on the Internet believed it to be true at one point and spread that misconception. Any reservation holder that came to the PTO2 tour was told in clear terms that purchases would happen through a dealer, and that there was no reason to believe dealers would do markups for their purchases (effectively a gentleman's agreement).

There are already several US dealers active on the forum that have seconded everything that was *officially* told to reservation holders and pre-orderers.

Having spoken with lots of the potential dealers during the PTO2 tour, every one I spoke to was on board with MSRP, at least for reservation holders, and after that when regular orders start arriving (Q2 '24 build windows currently), then it will go to market value.

JATT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:41 PM
Reaction score
Dealers are always painful to deal with, no doubt.
I was one of the early reservation holder for Lightning and I checked specifically with my dealer for it to be at MSRP.
They honored it but there was nothing on paper.

But I didn't pick up the Truck as it will be a hard sell once the CyberTruck comes out.
Lightning is a great practical product, but the next model year Lightning will be much better.

Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
Okay, maybe I'm just the only naive one. True, I have not read the rehash of the buying process on the forum. But the rehash on an internet forum and a gentleman's agreement from a car dealer don't add up to a set price. You have more trust in car dealers than I do!

Looking back, perhaps my post should have been in this thread as a caution about what dealers actually do. Moderator, feel free to move it. And as I said, maybe they have learned from the Ford fiasco and these dealers will play nice.

Local time
Reaction score
And on the flip side, if the market supports it, some people who are able to purchase Grenadiers at MSRP will turn around and immediately sell them to make a profit. At the Grenadier reveal in DC in March 2022, there were potential purchasers who were happy to tell us how they had flipped Ford Broncos for sizable profits.

Mr.Espresso

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
And on the flip side, if the market supports it, some people who are able to purchase Grenadiers at MSRP will turn around and immediately sell them to make a profit. At the Grenadier reveal in DC in March 2022, there were potential purchasers who were happy to tell us how they had flipped Ford Broncos for sizable profits.
Anybody who flips should be reprimanded for it in my personal opinion. Ineos should follow Mercedes and make buyers sign a 12 month no flip agreement like they do for all G-Class buyers in USA.

2wheelfish

Production/Transit
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I may be a little naive myself, but I don’t think this will be an issue. Yes, you should do your due diligence with your dealer, it is a big pruchase. I just don’t think there is a hot market at this time for this vehicle. It’s too new, unproven and obscure. This isn’t a Bronco or a Raptor.

We love these cars, but the general public probably indifferent at this point. Case in point, the Bronco was available to order for about a day and Ford has spent 3 years at about 75k truck/year trying to catch up. Flip side, there was a forum member that just preordered a Gren without a reservation and he already has a Q2/2024 build date, that doesn’t scream large demand to me.

I think the dealers have more to gain by getting some of these out on the streets with a good word of mouth than by screwing what very few customers they have. We’ll see I guess.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:41 AM
Reaction score
Lightning is a great practical product, but the next model year Lightning will be much better.
Isn't that what the marketing people always want you to believe?

Mr.Espresso

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Why? Do you want someone to control your property?
As an ex-auto-industry insider, and life long auto enthusiast, I think it is important to preserve the ability of others to enjoy the Ineos Grenadier. Allowing flipping, prevents the core enthusiast group from receiving the product as they lose out to the deep-pocketed collector types, thus never allowing the Grenadier to be seen in public by the masses. A prime example, is for you to walk on down to your local Porsche dealer and try your hand at landing a (Zuffenhausen factory GT car, as opposed to a Stuttgart factory car). You will quickly realize if you are not a who’s-who millionaire you stand no chance in hell of getting an allocation, even if you have a cashiers check in hand!

**You would be surprised to learn some insider Toyota Corporate secrets in regards to our views of certain “dealer groups” who engage in these tactics with limited production Toyota/Lexus products…** ( I no longer work there, I now own coffee shops in the Midwest)

Trust me I am a capitalist, and all for small government, but I hate to see these specialty cars fail to inspire the next generation of enthusiasts because they are locked up on some dudes estate in Montana never to be seen or driven by the public.

Last edited:

JATT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Isn't that what the marketing people always want you to believe?
The marketing people have still not spoken about the upcoming Lightning.

Current Lightning was built in a rush to be the 1st EV pickup to hit the market. There is a lot of things Ford learnt and hopefully will be improving on the new model.

2024 F150 is going to be launched in couple of weeks with 1500 less parts (refinement). Let's see what Ford pulls off !!

Local time
Reaction score
**You would be surprised to learn some insider Toyota Corporate secrets in regards to our views of certain “dealer groups” who engage in these tactics with limited production Toyota/Lexus products…** ( I no longer work there, I now own coffee shops in the Midwest)
In the US, OEMs are free to feel however they want about dealers, because dealers have a ton of protections enshrined in law to protect their legal monopoly and the allocations they are given from the automakers.

There's nothing automakers can do barring a major shift in law or doing something like granting Amazon franchises so they can wipe the floor with existing dealers via online sales.

Back
Top Bottom