The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas USA Buying Process--Beware (dealer vehicle pricing and business practices)

Local time
2:06 PM
Reaction score
I didn’t find that to be the case when I bought my ND. After I put in my allocation and told it would be about 6-9 months for the 6 cylinder and more than a year for the 8, I got a call from my sales guy offering to bump me up to a different allocation slot, only 3 months wait. Of course I took it, but then asked him how I got moved up.

Turns out a loyal LR buyer was on his 3rd ND order when he got busted for selling/flipping the cars for $50-$75K over sticker. He was banned by LR. Apparently when a vehicle gets sold a VIN check comes back to the original dealer, or something to that effect.

The most ironic part was that after few months go by, and I get a call from a different sales rep and he tells me he’s taking over all the previous reps accounts and just wanted to introduce himself. I later find out that the first rep, along with other guys in sales and. finance all got caught and fired.

When I finalized my deal, I was warned by the dealer, in a friendly way of course, that I would be black listed if I sold my vehicle in the first 6 months. He said if I genuinely hated the vehicle and wanted to get rid of it, to bring it back to the dealership and he’d take care of me, but not to flip it.

Whether this will be a problem for the IG, IDK but it certainly applies to the Defender.
They were just pissed that they were not the ones making the money.
How come the manufacturer doesnt care that those same LR dealers were selling at what ever mark ups they can muster?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:06 AM
Reaction score
I didn’t find that to be the case when I bought my ND. After I put in my allocation and told it would be about 6-9 months for the 6 cylinder and more than a year for the 8, I got a call from my sales guy offering to bump me up to a different allocation slot, only 3 months wait. Of course I took it, but then asked him how I got moved up.

Turns out a loyal LR buyer was on his 3rd ND order when he got busted for selling/flipping the cars for $50-$75K over sticker. He was banned by LR. Apparently when a vehicle gets sold a VIN check comes back to the original dealer, or something to that effect.

The most ironic part was that after few months go by, and I get a call from a different sales rep and he tells me he’s taking over all the previous reps accounts and just wanted to introduce himself. I later find out that the first rep, along with other guys in sales and. finance all got caught and fired.

When I finalized my deal, I was warned by the dealer, in a friendly way of course, that I would be black listed if I sold my vehicle in the first 6 months. He said if I genuinely hated the vehicle and wanted to get rid of it, to bring it back to the dealership and he’d take care of me, but not to flip it.

Whether this will be a problem for the IG, IDK but it certainly applies to the Defender.
You can only sell up to 4 cars per year in Australia without a motor dealers license.
Of course with one you have to offer a warranty.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:06 PM
Reaction score
They were just pissed that they were not the ones making the money.
How come the manufacturer doesnt care that those same LR dealers were selling at what ever mark ups they can muster?
IDK, my dealer never added ADM. In fact before COVID and all this supply chain nonsense, we normally got discounts on LRs. Unfortunately ADM is a money maker, and a big reason why dealerships still have the reputation as sleezeballs, looking to milk you for ever cent they can get, unless you educate yourself to the process and their tricks.

I know Rolex did, or still continues, to penalize you from buying more watches if they find you’re flipping them. In some countries/boutiques watch forum members were saying that they would hold onto your warranty card for a year to discourage flipping. Rolex HQ will also pull an AD’s (Authorized Dealer) card if they add any kind of mark up.

It’s probably for the same reasons we’ve heard before…devaluing the brand, blah, blah…. One reason I do agree with however, is that people who flip as a business/profit, shortchange the enthusiast the opportunity of owning the thing they're passionate about because the flipper is taking up spots in the queue for an item they never intend to keep.

For the most part, I agree that if you buy something, you can do whatever you want with it (ie sell, trade, test, destroy). But I also respect the brands right not to sell to certain individuals or groups that buy only for the profit of selling in the secondary markets.

For clarity, these brand restrictions are generally only 6 months to a year. It doesn’t prohibit selling forever

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve always found that behind the people really making a lot of money on flipping; there is a dishonest dealer. This is certainly true in the Porsche GT car market. The same buyers getting numerous allocations every time a rare vehicle is produced. They’re not even sly about it. Often returning the car to the dealer to have it listed as “used” with less than fifty miles on the odometer. It’s how they get around being punished for markups on new cars. You can walk into most Porsche dealerships and buy a brand new “used” GT3 for $75k over sticker. Which is down from $100k the last few years. At least a lottery system for allocations would be more fair. Maybe some buyer would actually DRIVE one of those cars; instead of locking them up as pseudo investments. Rant over😬

JATT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Got an email from IG that the Retail partner network will be revealed on Sept 28th.

After that, we need to reach out to the dealer to finalize the purchase of the Grenadier.

It's Moving !!!

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Got an email from IG that the Retail partner network will be revealed on Sept 28th.

After that, we need to reach out to the dealer to finalize the purchase of the Grenadier.

It's Moving !!!
Same here

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

It's Moving !!!
Yes, Just received the same email....

"Mark your calendar. On September 28th we’ll reveal our retail partner network, and the partner covering your preferred delivery area.
You’ll need to contact that partner to finalize the purchase of your Grenadier. We’ll be in touch soon with all the details."

It's getting a bit more real with each email from Ineos.....DaBull

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
The little video linked webinar came in a separate email after that dealer day announcement. I’m very encouraged that Ineos of North America are doing, what looks like, a pretty thorough inspection before the vehicles go to dealers. The more that team gets to see and learn, the better they’re going to be at supporting the dealers’ technicians and mechanics. That made me quite happy to see. Maybe they are listening? Definitely will be introducing myself to my dealer on 28 September.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:06 PM
Reaction score
The little video linked webinar came in a separate email after that dealer day announcement.
Can you post a link for the video please.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I know the Roo-Bar is not coming to the US model.
Will it be available for the US market as an option?
You probably purchase it from a AUustrilia dealer and pay for shipping. Many LR Defender owners went that route until US fabricators made some.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:06 AM
Reaction score
I know the Roo-Bar is not coming to the US model.
Will it be available for the US market as an option?
Are roo's that much of a problem in the US?

Strangely until Ineos started referring to a "ROO" bar I had never heard anyone use the term.
They are commonly called "BULL" bars here in Australia.

JATT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You probably purchase it from a AUustrilia dealer and pay for shipping. Many LR Defender owners went that route until US fabricators made some.
$2000 + Shipping seems quite a bit since it is only an attachment that connects to the existing bumper (without the side arms to running board).

Local time
4:06 PM
Reaction score
I am searching the forum, but can't find the answer, so I will ask here. In the US, people have mentioned conversations with Ineos in which the Ineos personnel indicate that the dealers will honor the MSRP for certain early adopters. Does this refer only to the Reservation holders who paid the $450, or does it also include people like me who pre-ordered a few months ago, but have not paid a reservation fee. All I did was configure a vehicle. I now have a pre-order number and Q1 build date.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Clearly there are a lot of opinions here but no one actually knows the truth. In America, the free market allows dealers to do anything they want. It is sad that Ineos is not protecting those of use who put money down two yeas ago and have been quite patient. There were no dealers then (still aren't, until next week), Ineos get the money directly from us, and they set the price. I strongly believe that must be honored. If a dealer has a rig on the lot with no pre-order then it's his to deal with. It sure was pleasant buying my Tesla, in California.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Clearly there are a lot of opinions here but no one actually knows the truth. In America, the free market allows dealers to do anything they want. It is sad that Ineos is not protecting those of use who put money down two yeas ago and have been quite patient. There were no dealers then (still aren't, until next week), Ineos get the money directly from us, and they set the price. I strongly believe that must be honored. If a dealer has a rig on the lot with no pre-order then it's his to deal with. It sure was pleasant buying my Tesla, in California.
I believe this conversation has been flogged to death. Let's see how this all plays out. Also, as American, I disagree with the notion that the US has a free market. We don't have a free market just a belief system that we have a free market. If we had a free market we would not have subsides for farmers or industries. No bailouts for the market. We would allow anyone to sell brand new cars. We would not have import taxes or duties. To name a few.

Back
Top Bottom