The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Europe Buying “new” in stock vehicle

Hitchedprawn

Production/Transit
Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
Good morning all

Placed an order for a car that was in stock and available for immediate delivery (<200km on clock) only to discover the car has a vin number ending in the PF001000s - which makes me believe the car is in fact 1 year old. Would that be a correct assumption? And if so, any thoughts on whether I’m doing the right thing?!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:50 PM
Reaction score
Sounds like an early one. I have had mine almost a year and my VIN ends with 2527. It goes without saying that as production increased, things would have improved. If the price reduction was significant enough, it would likely still be worth considering. Bear in mind the cost locally of used models sold online. You could possibly buy newer for less and still have the remainder of the warranty.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Good morning all

Placed an order for a car that was in stock and available for immediate delivery (<200km on clock) only to discover the car has a vin number ending in the PF001000s - which makes me believe the car is in fact 1 year old. Would that be a correct assumption? And if so, any thoughts on whether I’m doing the right thing?!
September 2023 build vin were 7600 so your > 12 months old would be a valid assumption. Check what software version it is running. If 1946 it has been updated.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
Good morning all

Hi @Hitchedprawn I see it like @Cheshire cat . If it's significantly reduced in price, I wouldn't be averse to it. Even if one or two issues have perhaps improved or been resolved in newer vehicles, this vehicle doesn't have to be bad.
I have one of the first series production vehicles. My VIN ends with only a 3 digit number in the mid range. I haven't had any major issues so far. The lower door seal had come off once, causing water to collect in the door, like many others. I glued the seal on properly. It's been quiet ever since. I also don't have the rubber cut open (perforated), as is now probably the case with current production vehicles.
I have a recall action, the replacement of the transfer case, which is due soon. But that doesn't worry me.
Above all, I don't have all the assistance systems in the vehicle, which makes me happy.
All the locks, the heating/air conditioning and the radio basically work. Sure, there is room for improvement. But that has nothing to do with the fact that the vehicle is a year old in comparison with the actual ones.
Why don't you use the hint that you are buying an "older" vehicle and plead for a price reduction?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
September 2023 build vin were 7600 so your > 12 months old would be a valid assumption. Check what software version it is running. If 1946 it has been updated.
Oh yes, that's another good tip from @Eric . @Hitchedprawn insist on the 1946 software update.

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Good morning all

Mine is 1026, registered in the UK in May 2023.

Hitchedprawn

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks all for the input. For sure I will bring this up with them even though I’ve signed the order form so technically agreed the price. I think it’s a bit disingenuous on their part not to be open about the actual age of the vehicle but nothing surprises me anymore.

The car was supposedly taken into the service center last week to have a software update but when I showed up yesterday it was not there and was told they’d parked it up elsewhere waiting for “parts”. No visibility on when they can deliver it so the longer this drags on the higher the discount I will be requesting. Luckily no money has been paid!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks all for the input. For sure I will bring this up with them even though I’ve signed the order form so technically agreed the price. I think it’s a bit disingenuous on their part not to be open about the actual age of the vehicle but nothing surprises me anymore.

The car was supposedly taken into the service center last week to have a software update but when I showed up yesterday it was not there and was told they’d parked it up elsewhere waiting for “parts”. No visibility on when they can deliver it so the longer this drags on the higher the discount I will be requesting. Luckily no money has been paid!
Possibly waiting on the Transfer box which was replaced on many of the earlier models including mine.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Possibly waiting on the Transfer box which was replaced on many of the earlier models including mine.
Yes, I assume that too. My gearbox will probably be replaced in the next few days. However, I could have had it done last autumn. In consultation with the dealer, we agreed that we would do it together with the first service, which is now due. I also wanted the dealer to gain experience with the exchange in the meantime. I don't want my Grenadier to be a guinea pig.

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Funnily enough, responding to you and Rovie, mine is currently in being serviced for the first time (@ 3750 miles roughly) and having the transfer box replaced. Should have had it back yesterday, but a broken clip has delayed completion. Frustrating.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Maybe request a new warranty from your date of purchase. Definitely worth asking. 🤔

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have the service warning light come on a month early @ 9000 miles. Dealer tells me it can't be reset without service being carried out. I explained I didn't want to service the vehicle a month early as it was at my cost so to speak. They have contacted Ineos to see if there might be some good will towards the £550.00 service cost. The vehicle service clock was obviously set a month before I received the vehicle. Definitely worth asking the question.

Hitchedprawn

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I have the service warning light come on a month early @ 9000 miles. Dealer tells me it can't be reset without service being carried out. I explained I didn't want to service the vehicle a month early as it was at my cost so to speak. They have contacted Ineos to see if there might be some good will towards the £550.00 service cost. The vehicle service clock was obviously set a month before I received the vehicle. Definitely worth asking the question.
I already got them to give me €500 towards the first service because “they have no idea what the cost of the first service is”…..

Hitchedprawn

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Just for the benefit of the thread…still not taken delivery of the car. Another “couple of weeks” waiting for parts…on a year old car….thats been sat for a whole year waiting for a buyer to come along…..
Convince me why I shouldn’t buy something else 😂

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Just for the benefit of the thread…still not taken delivery of the car. Another “couple of weeks” waiting for parts…on a year old car….thats been sat for a whole year waiting for a buyer to come along…..
Convince me why I shouldn’t buy something else 😂
It’s pretty standard not to do any repairs or servicing until the car is sold. If a used car may not sell (and that is accepted as all of them) , and goes back to trade, why expend the effort?

If you don’t wait, you’ll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not….. (really must watch Casablanca again)

If you are a serious potential owner, it’s worth the wait.

Hitchedprawn

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Funnily enough, responding to you and Rovie, mine is currently in being serviced for the first time (@ 3750 miles roughly) and having the transfer box replaced. Should have had it back yesterday, but a broken clip has delayed completion. Frustrating.
It’s pretty standard not to do any repairs or servicing until the car is sold. If a used car may not sell (and that is accepted as all of them) , and goes back to trade, why expend the effort?

If you don’t wait, you’ll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not….. (really must watch Casablanca again)

If you are a serious potential owner, it’s worth the wai

If you are a serious potential owner, it’s worth the wait.
I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t serious but I’ve been misled on what Ive agreed to buy. It is not a used car though. It is unregistered and essentially new. So why wait to prepare it? There isn’t exactly a queue of buyers out of the door… at least not where I am.

What’s your genuine view on buying an almost 3 ton car that’s been sat for a year ?

Back
Top Bottom