The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Terminology: Full-Time 4WD / AWD

Local time
9:21 AM
Reaction score
Maybe I am out of line here, but I was thinking about terminology after reading some "corrections" on the forum.

Full-Time 4WD vs AWD
Most of the time, full-time 4WD works pretty much the same way as AWD: the center differential sends engine power to both the front and rear axles all the time. The center differential allows the front and rear drive shafts to move at different speeds, allowing the vehicle to operate normally on dry roads (i.e. in "high-traction" conditions).

The key difference between full-time 4WD and AWD is that full-time 4WD vehicles have a locking center differential that’s built into the transfer case. When a driver engages it, the center differential locks the front and rear drive shafts together so that they turn at the same speed thus delivering equal amounts of torque to the front and rear wheels. In general, a full-time 4WD vehicle with the center differential locked acts like a part-time 4WD vehicle when the 4WD is engaged.

But in "street mode" (driving on-road in dry conditions), full-time 4WD and AWD function the same. It makes sense to refer to the Grenadier as full-time 4WD - because that is what it is - but referring to street mode as "AWD" doesn't seem to do any harm. I think we all understand that if someone says "when driving in AWD mode" this means driving the Grenadier without the center diff locked.

Mostly taken from this excellent source: How Full-Time 4WD and All-Wheel Drive Work

Is it a car, a truck, or a vehicle?
I can't see how it matters whether we refer to the Grenadier as a "car", "truck", "4x4", "4-wheel drive utility vehicle", or "SUV". It doesn't seem necessary to correct someone for using one term vs. another. Some people in the Jeep community lose their minds if people refer to a Jeep as anything other than a "Jeep". In my humble opinion - no need to follow that example. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Local time
9:21 AM
Reaction score
The key difference between full-time 4WD and AWD is that full-time 4WD vehicles have a locking center differential that’s built into the transfer case. When a driver engages it, the center differential locks the front and rear drive shafts together so that they turn at the same speed thus delivering equal amounts of torque to the front and rear wheels. In general, a full-time 4WD vehicle with the center differential locked acts like a part-time 4WD vehicle when the 4WD is engaged.
It's not a question of delivering torque but what the tyres can transfer to the ground. If front axle is in air it can't absorb any torque so nothing can be either delivered. Also power transfer will vary between 0-100% depending on traction (=torque) and revolutions.

In my opinion AWD is used by the car manufacturer if the car is profiled for street use, not regarding the technical solution.

Back
Top Bottom