The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Price shock (US)

Local time
11:43 AM
Reaction score
I think if you are weighing up between a TRD/hybrid Tacoma and Grenadier then the Grenadier will never win.
Tacoma doesn't come to Australia but no doubt it is excellent.
Just a completely different type of vehicle to the Grenadier.
For the utility of the machine, not really so much different. I have a certain volume of dive equipment that I need to move on a pretty regular basis between Canada, the US, and Mexico over very unimproved roadways. That volume will fit in the Grenadier with the back seats removed and flat panel installed over the battery compartment. The Grenadier has slightly more power than the Tacoma, which will help with the towing the small camper with the weight inside. The suspension on the TRD Tacoma is trash (always has been) and not rated for the weight i carry in it. The Grenadier is likely to be similar in this regard. From a strictly utilitarian standpoint, the Grenadier might actually have a leg up over the Tacoma, but Toyota has a very good reputation for making things easy to work on- I have doubts about how tight that BMW engine is squished into the Grenadier engine bay.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:43 AM
Reaction score
For the utility of the machine, not really so much different. I have a certain volume of dive equipment that I need to move on a pretty regular basis between Canada, the US, and Mexico over very unimproved roadways. That volume will fit in the Grenadier with the back seats removed and flat panel installed over the battery compartment. The Grenadier has slightly more power than the Tacoma, which will help with the towing the small camper with the weight inside. The suspension on the TRD Tacoma is trash (always has been) and not rated for the weight i carry in it. The Grenadier is likely to be similar in this regard. From a strictly utilitarian standpoint, the Grenadier might actually have a leg up over the Tacoma, but Toyota has a very good reputation for making things easy to work on- I have doubts about how tight that BMW engine is squished into the Grenadier engine bay.
Yes I see the Tacoma suffers from the same load carrying short fall as most US vehicles. Pretty small compared to Grenadier.
BMW engine is squeezed in tight
Sounds like the diesel would be better suited to you but not available over there.

Local time
11:43 AM
Reaction score
Yes I see the Tacoma suffers from the same load carrying short fall as most US vehicles. Pretty small compared to Grenadier.
BMW engine is squeezed in tight
Sounds like the diesel would be better suited to you but not available over there.
The diesel would be nice, but it wont happen over here, and with the price of diesel being almost double gas at the moment, it wouldn't be cost effective, either.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:43 PM
Reaction score
Just drove past my local Ford dealership stealership (the ones who tried to screw me) and they had a Bronco Raptor on the lot (oddly though not out front or in the showroom but rather kinda on the side). Sticker was $77k but there was a $25k “market adjustment.” Greedy bastards.

Attachments

• 9CB97F14-5F7D-49D7-8D9D-75FBE857C292.jpeg
    9CB97F14-5F7D-49D7-8D9D-75FBE857C292.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 3E1097C5-06C9-4CBD-915C-D15A6C2D63AF.jpeg
    3E1097C5-06C9-4CBD-915C-D15A6C2D63AF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:43 PM
Reaction score
Bah! (n)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just drove past my local Ford dealership stealership (the ones who tried to screw me) and they had a Bronco Raptor on the lot (oddly though not out front or in the showroom but rather kinda on the side). Sticker was $77k but there was a $25k “market adjustment.” Greedy bastards.
That is just theft or as my mother used to say "Highway Robbery"

Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
This right here is my major concern. I'm on the fence right now- at the price we're talking about in here I can get a fully worked out TRD Tacoma to replace my 2004 TRD Tacoma which has 350k miles on it. Reliability of the parts and availability of the parts (less service, I do most of that myself) is a major concern for me. I'm also less worried about the timeframe- I'm hoping to see a Hybrid Tacoma in 2024- so waiting that long to make my final decision, and see what Toyota brings to the market works for me. It sure wouldn't hurt my feelings to see much better gas mileage, as much as I'd like to be driving a Grenadier.
It looks like there will be two options for the Tacoma in 2024: a turbo-charged I4, and a hybrid I4. This has not yet been confirmed by Toyota, but TFL is running with the story, so I think its likely to be true:

I agree that the utility of a pickup is awesome. There are - of course - pros and cons when comparing a wagon to a pickup, and it comes down to what works the best for any one person most of the time. You probably know all this, but what the hell, I'll waste both our time...

A wagon is much better for technical off-road driving, for driving around town, and there are other nice things - like you don't get snow, frost, or moisture build-up blocking your view the way you do if you own a truck with a topper (truck guys know what I'm talking about).

A truck is much better for hauling lots of gear, and (if you have a topper) it allows you to leave big items in the bed that you want to use regularly, if (1) you don't want the stuff taking over the interior of your vehicle, or (2) you don't want it on your roof. For example, I leave recovery gear in the bed; and sometimes my mountain bike - secured and protected from the elements by a topper. In the winter, I leave 10 pairs of skis in the bed. My wife and I ski 4-5 days per week, and we each have 5 pairs of skis in the bed: 1 pair of Tele skis, 1 pair of Classic skis, and 3 pairs of Skate skis - each waxed for different conditions 😁 Its kind of nice not having this stuff in the cab with us, and its also nice not pulling stuff out of a Rocket Box on the roof.

While the Grenadier has a much better payload than the Tacoma, you can modify the Tacoma to improve payload. The first option I'll suggest has not yet been finalized (either in spec or in price), but the second option is viable, would give you a truck bed, decent payload, and still be half the price of a Grenadier.

(1) Toyota is coming out with a new overland package called the Trailhunter, that can be added to a Tundra, Tacoma, or Sequoia. Details have not yet been confirmed, but it is supposed to improve payload, and provide things like steel bumpers, a suspension lift, larger tires, and appropriate gearing for the larger tires. Again, we don't know the specifics of the package or the price. Here is a story from TFL on the Trailhunter package:

https://tfltruck.com/2022/11/new-toyota-tundra-trailhunter-sema-debut-news/

(2) Get the Tacoma TRD Off-Road model - not the TRD Pro. The Off-Road starts at $35,440 while the Pro starts at $46,685 - you pay a premium for the "Pro" badge. Yeah, you get really nice Fox shocks on the Pro, which are great for high-speed desert driving and high speed dirt roads, and there are a couple of other nice features (like better fog lights), but both come with a rear locker, and both run the same size tire from the factory 265/70/R17 (which is the same size as the Grenadier). The payloads for the two models are similar, but you can get a higher payload if you get the Off-Road with the Access Cab, and the 6-foot bed.
Payload TRD Off-Road: 1,135 pounds (four-door with 5-foot bed) or 1,285 pounds (access cab with 6-foot bed).
Payload of TRD Pro 1,155 pounds (the Pro is only available in one configuration: 4-door with 5-foot bed).

After you get your Tacoma Off-Road, swap out the suspension with one that provides a little lift, and improves payload. I'm running a Stage 5 Icon suspension on my Tacoma, and there is significant improvement all around (2-inch lift, I run 33-inch tires, it carries weight much better, is fantastic at speed on washboard roads, great in the whoops, and flexes more on rocky trails). Another great option is Old Man Emu's BP51 suspension (sold in the U.S. by ARB), and you can opt for the Heavy Duty springs. Again, this will carry weight much better than the stock suspension.

After modding your Tacoma, you total cost would be between $40,000 - $55,000 depending on how you spec the vehicle. Who knows what the Grenadier will cost - maybe $70,000 - $80,000. Just remember: no modification can change the legal payload of your vehicle, which is defined by the door sticker. So its always best to get a good payload from the manufacturer (advantage Grenadier). Of course, if payload is super-important, the Ford Ranger has better payload than the Tacoma, and is still a "midsize" truck, or you can step up to a larger truck, and then you can get up to 4,000 pounds of payload no problem!

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
I recall a video by the head of IG North America a few weeks ago stating we will have guidance in December on how we will be able to order in January 2023. The comment was also made that we will have an update on pricing in January 2023 in order to place orders. I do hope I remember correctly.

The video included a statement that we will have more regular updates from IG NA, but at this point have to wonder if anything useful is forthcoming before Christmas 2022. I appreciate the struggles with supply chains etc, but certainly simple update videos, even if to announce changes in previously made time commitments, will be possible and help us all in the US and Canada.

At this point, in the void of regular communications, I am really wondering if the pricing will push it out of reach of many of the reservation holders and also will result in such a long delay in actually delivering the vehicles given capacity/supply chain/shipping constraints that placing an order will push into 2024 deliveries.

At a minimum, I would expect IG to communicate with us more frequently in the US and Canada, without asking them to predict the future pricing. The key reason I frequent this forum is to see who has what updates on timing and product details.

Is this too much to ask for from IG NA? Anything at this point is better than nothing.
I, too, remember that we are suppose to receive further info in December for North America and then pricing in January 2023 at which time we would pay the final reservation amount. Did I not read that reservation holders were not subject to paying dealerships and that we would pay Ineos direct??

Local time
Reaction score
I, too, remember that we are suppose to receive further info in December for North America and then pricing in January 2023 at which time we would pay the final reservation amount. Did I not read that reservation holders were not subject to paying dealerships and that we would pay Ineos direct??
I was told at the Overland Expo in Colorado (August 2022) that there would be a fleet of Grenadiers (maybe five vehicles) touring the country in order to provide test drive opportunities. The chap from Ineos told me that Colorado test drives would be available in October or November - in order to beat the winter weather. He said that after leaving Colorado they would be heading south with the fleet to Arizona and New Mexico. He also said that orders would likely open in January 2023 - requiring the $2,500 additional deposit (on top of the $450 reservation fee collected a year ago. Clearly, they are running behind this planned schedule. Only fair to point out that many other car manufacturers are also experiencing delays.

Local time
Reaction score
Yep, Vancouver in June we did the viewing, word was, "see you in Nov/Dec for your test drive". Crickets since.

IIRC Ford had some fumbles with the Bronco roll out. Communication was one issue for reservation holders.

New company, chance to do this differently.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, Vancouver in June we did the viewing, word was, "see you in Nov/Dec for your test drive". Crickets since.

IIRC Ford had some fumbles with the Bronco roll out. Communication was one issue for reservation holders.

New company, chance to do this differently.
Looks like this site was for the original demo registration
This is the site I booked my drives on

Local time
Reaction score
Looks like this site was for the original demo registration
From that web page:
"... we’ll be keeping you updated on further events later in 2022. "

:chuckle:

I get it, stuff happens. This is a business, you take my money, you give me the stuff or tell me what's happening.

They know what's happening.

Local time
Reaction score
... And just in case you think I'm being sour. They are communicating with me.

I'm thrilled to bits about their bicycle team. And they've given me ample opportunity to buy swag, - grrreat !

Even solicited me for questions once or twice. Of course that was after the cut off, but still, nice to know they haven't forgotten about me.

:)

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:43 PM
Reaction score
Interesting perspective, welcome to the forum!

I’d rather see funds spent on engineering and testing before marketing. Not convinced that the millions spent by major manufacturers on grooming motoring journalists and the media is producing better cars. Notwithstanding Ford carpet bombing everyone about the exciting new Bronco.

Noted that US has not been first cab off the rank but in the launch markets Ineos has provided periodic access to prototype vehicles, which is unheard of.
Agree. - Also - the US-Market is (probably for many reasons not the first choice of Ineos, I wouldn't sell to the US either because if lawyers, product liability stuff and perhaps more court fights than else where - no matter what. Also no common approach - in that state direct sales in another a dealer has to be used. And this with a brand new product and not an established automaker and a high competitve environment in a niche market of full offroad capable vehicles.
Instead Australia, Africa and Europe - that is where the old defender was at home - and for that purpose it was used for.
So once the vehicle is on the road there - and more and more attention gained - then the US may become an interesting market. - However - the IG is something different that rock crawlers like Jeep and fullsize Pickups - Like Ford and Ram.

Your rhetorical question @globalgregors :
"Ultimately though, in terms of development engineering, is it truly an Ineos product or a rather a Magna product? Where one lands on that may have a big impact on one’s confidence to commit."
- To me I answered - it is indeed a Magna development. - The technology and design has truely Magna's fingerprint - except of some special ideas making it different. - Like the roof panel and safari windows or gadgets like the toot horn. But the whats "under the skirt" - its magna.
So they knew from experience with G Wagon - (size is similar) - and inside.. so IGs recipe is
some G-Wagon Experience, and use best ingredients available of the market, plus remove all design flaws from past plus some ideas from drivers and investors
No car maker politics interferes with that has to be restricted here and there. Just. Do. It.
That is the reason why I put quite some faith in it. - Not because of Ineos - but of Magna.
The rest of Ineos Automotive are currently acting as very beginners. No proper processes, no IT, everything is at the very beginning. So more like a child in nappies. Just beginning to walk freely. The car is there, oh what now production? oh no what customers asking questions, and what ist that, regulatory - impact and what is there .. service. and spareparts and this and that.. - All at once.
Of course - I trust in Magna - the rest is still a learning curve for Ineos. - But they will do. - That is the change in CEO.
1. Step make the car ready and have a product - Now step 2 - get it to the customers and make it a reality on road and off road. If they go on the US market with this little experience with that competition Ineos will get a problem as a new kid on the block and get stripped nude. - So get it ready elsewhere first.

Local time
Reaction score
I would basically be fine with a base model, but not really interested in pure open diffs. While we don't know the package amount, I am expecting the lockers to juice the price quite a bit. Should be an option for a limited slip rear end.

Local time
Reaction score
I would basically be fine with a base model, but not really interested in pure open diffs. While we don't know the package amount, I am expecting the lockers to juice the price quite a bit. Should be an option for a limited slip rear end.
I'd want the available lockers as a min option, for capability and resale. So far the pricing for other markets has been reasonable IMO (~1,725 USD and they'll throw in KO2s if you'd like).

I don't know enough about the central locker to know how feasible an additional single axle traction device would work (?)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The diff locks by themselves ad AUD$2,940 which is USD$1,973 or you can get them with the K02 tyres for AUD$3,015 which is USD$2,023.15

1671475642104.png1671475755070.png

Local time
Reaction score
The diff locks by themselves ad AUD$2,940 which is USD$1,973 or you can get them with the K02 tyres for AUD$3,015 which is USD$2,023.15

View attachment 7798189View attachment 7798190
That's not terrible and the KO2s are basically a 'free' upgrade at that point.

I'd still prefer the LSD for daily duties (particularly snow blown county roads). LSDs can get you 98% of the benefits of a full blown locker, if you know what you're doing, but a manual selectable locker only does you good in like 2% of the situations where an LSD will provide benefit.

Local time
Reaction score
Or better still - they should follow the Ram Power Wagon, and have a limited slip in the rear, as well as an electronic locking rear differential. This makes a big difference in the snow when you don't want to lock up the rear (and certainly not the front).

Back
Top Bottom