The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

loose nut of front stabilizer

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:52 PM
Reaction score
As I have some "noises" since I did some off-road and stone tracks some weeks ago, I regularly try to find out what's wrong.

Yesterday, as my left front wheel was in a "left turn" position, I could easily inspect the wiring and conduits. I also grabbed with my hands several parts and tried to move them, and suddenly I perceived that the stabilizer was loose, the nut became loose, see the picture. Picture was taken after giving a quarter turn to the nut, with my hand! No tools.
View attachment 7828420

I tightened it, and used the paint marks to tighten it a bit more than the original position, see picture:
View attachment 7828422
This was rectified as part of a campaign when my software was updated. I think it was just a case of a double nut solution

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:52 PM
Reaction score
I don't want to carry a whole factory in my car :devilish:
Otherwise it isn't "made in Hambach" anymore :ROFLMAO:
I was thinking of how annoying it must be for the French when the prominent flags on the vehicle seem to be British and German. Just a stick on reference to France on the rear, side window.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:52 PM
Reaction score
I was thinking of how annoying it must be for the French when the prominent flags on the vehicle seem to be British and German. Just a stick on reference to France on the rear, side window.
They are probably thinking the Germans are going to invade again.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:52 AM
Reaction score
Woah. Step 7 gives me ptsd from commissioning Siemens simatic systems.

In this case I’ll go with step 7. Drive it like you stole it.
I know I'm being pedantic. It's clearly a typo. The takeaway is that an M16 locking nut of not less than 17.7mm height is fitted in each instance.
This is a manufacturer's safety recall notice released via a US Federal Agency. Evidently the Ineos drafter, reviewer and approver all missed the typo. The NHTSA guys also missed it, or chose to overlook it.
It's sloppy work.

Full confession: I'm in the aviation business and my curse is that I tend to think and act like an Engineer, where 'Engineer' can be characterised as 1 part vocation and 3 parts affliction 🤓

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
12:52 PM
Reaction score
Particularly sloppy as it’s there until they offer a secondary update.

Being pedantic is part and parcel of the Grenadier experience sometimes it seems. I’m as guilty as the next person with that ;)

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I know I'm being pedantic. It's clearly a typo. The takeaway is that an M16 locking nut of not less than 17.7mm height is fitted in each instance.
This is a manufacturer's safety recall notice released via a US Federal Agency. Evidently the Ineos drafter, reviewer and approver all missed the typo. The NHTSA guys also missed it, or chose to overlook it.
It's sloppy work.

Full confession: I'm in the aviation business and my curse is that I tend to think and act like an Engineer, where 'Engineer' can be characterised as 1 part vocation and 3 parts affliction 🤓
@Clark Kent : had I been 20 yrs younger we may have crossed paths! One of the impediments to clear tech. documentation harks back to primary school education and the failure years ago to teach proper grammar... Every major defence project I was involved with from late the 80s to 2000+ was burdened by a lack of competent literate technical writers..
On a related subject, the layout and content of the Owner's Handbook in its present format is, in my view, singularly unfit for purpose, and represents the very antithesis of Ineos's mantra "form follows function"
but I digress...!!;)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
This was rectified as part of a campaign when my software was updated. I think it was just a case of a double nut solution
For the sway bar. Not the drag link/tie rod. Which should always be locknutted, and marked with ink to prove it's been torqued right.
Anyway the sway bar just needs a locknut as well.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
61 affected vehicles : VIN range begins with SC6GM1CA0RF010858 and ends with SC6GN3CAXPFP10148
Just for some context

https://www.drive.com.au/news/austr...to-stop-driving-due-to-steering-failure-risk/http://📸 Look at this post on Faceb...PtDy0gk48pe1nA0iqO7cFFSb1TWCqjUPr0pOIAuwzgxn8

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
12:52 PM
Reaction score
@Clark Kent : had I been 20 yrs younger we may have crossed paths! One of the impediments to clear tech. documentation harks back to primary school education and the failure years ago to teach proper grammar... Every major defence project I was involved with from late the 80s to 2000+ was burdened by a lack of competent literate technical writers..
On a related subject, the layout and content of the Owner's Handbook in its present format is, in my view, singularly unfit for purpose, and represents the very antithesis of Ineos's mantra "form follows function"
but I digress...!!;)
Don’t get me on about defense contracts, I lost an OZ passport via RR. But I digress. I’ve passed this sentiment on multiple times. Trust me. There’s been a bit of kicking off about a few things with the literature.

But back on topic. I’m not affected by the recall. I’m told. I’ll check my vin tomorrow to make sure ;)

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
"Due to a remanufacturing process issue"

What sort of industry gobbledegook is that?
Imported F150 vehicles go through a Second Stage Manufacturing (SSM) process for conversion from factory LHD to Australian RHD before first registration. Australia has an impressive capability for this work with factory-backed and warranted conversions. It's a low sales volume alternative to establishing a RHD product line at the factory, and allows for the import and sale of vehicles that would otherwise not be available in our market.

I'm interpreting 'remanufacturing process' as a defect has resulted from the SSM work to convert LHD to RHD. Looks like there is an issue with the intermediate shaft that connects the base of the steering column to the steering rack pinion. I don't know how the steering crossover is achieved for the F150 conversion. Some conversions use a crossover intermediate shaft that connects a right side column to a left side steering box (Australian delivered Unimogs are one example), others get a complete new right side steering rack.

Edit: If you scroll down the above Performax page there is some info on the steering conversion. They install a new recirculating ball steering box on the right side (same tech as the Grenadier).

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I still don't know how this crucial mechanism has passed professional testing and inspection.
Then again, plane doors just fall off in mid air.
Re the locknut issue , it could be easily resolved if locknuts were colour coded.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I still don't know how this crucial mechanism has passed professional testing and inspection.
Then again, plane doors just fall off in mid air...
Boeing can build great aircraft and can do some amazing engineering. I have great respect for them as a company. One of the many great US manufacturing institutions.

They got caught up in a commercial contest with Airbus (A320Neo) and made some grave (fatal) mistakes in the rush to get the 737 Max 8 and Max 9 to market. When your insomnia next gets the better of you, look for the doco 'Downfall: The case against Boeing'.
In the case of the Max 8 and Max 9 certification, the 'professional testing and inspection' was further compromised because of an inappropriate arrangement with the FAA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom