The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

loose nut of front stabilizer

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:25 AM
Reaction score
As I have some "noises" since I did some off-road and stone tracks some weeks ago, I regularly try to find out what's wrong.

Yesterday, as my left front wheel was in a "left turn" position, I could easily inspect the wiring and conduits. I also grabbed with my hands several parts and tried to move them, and suddenly I perceived that the stabilizer was loose, the nut became loose, see the picture. Picture was taken after giving a quarter turn to the nut, with my hand! No tools.
20230930_144749 loose nut.jpg

I tightened it, and used the paint marks to tighten it a bit more than the original position, see picture:
20231001_114922 nut retightened.jpg

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:25 AM
Reaction score
As I have some "noises" since I did some off-road and stone tracks some weeks ago, I regularly try to find out what's wrong.

Yesterday, as my left front wheel was in a "left turn" position, I could easily inspect the wiring and conduits. I also grabbed with my hands several parts and tried to move them, and suddenly I perceived that the stabilizer was loose, the nut became loose, see the picture. Picture was taken after giving a quarter turn to the nut, with my hand! No tools.
View attachment 7828420

I tightened it, and used the paint marks to tighten it a bit more than the original position, see picture:
View attachment 7828422
Goodness me, Jean, I think INEOS just needs to take your car back and give you a new one, no one has had more issues than you. And yet you are still cheerful.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:25 PM
Reaction score
That might not be an issue with just Jeans as it looks as though that nut has clearly backed off according to the green alignment marks.

Perhaps others should check theirs.

Not sure if there are torque settings for this but would be interesting to see if the green marks equate to a correct torque setting.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:25 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7828420

View attachment 7828422
I take such advice seriously and appreciate it very much. Many thanks @Jean Mercier. I'll have a look at mine later on.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:25 AM
Reaction score

View attachment 7828420

View attachment 7828422
Has your cluck when you drive over a bump now disappeared?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has your cluck when you drive over a bump now disappeared?
No, because nothing has been done about it, and it is NOT related to that nut!
I indeed post my "problems" here, so that other people can check if they have similar problems.
The other side (right wheel) was OK in my car.

It is NOT so that I drive my car the whole time on bad roads, this is impossible in Belgium. I didn't register, but from the almost 15000 km, I probably drove less than 500 km on bad roads (mainly in Eastern Europe).

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Far out... I will now also have to get my tork set out and make ready for some tightening!!! That is poor form from IA... can anyone explain what happens in that bolt disengages entirely..??

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
That might not be an issue with just Jeans as it looks as though that nut has clearly backed off according to the green alignment marks.

Not sure if there are torque settings for this but would be interesting to see if the green marks equate to a correct torque setting.
Hardly.

It is not possible to predict the position where the correct torque will be reached. So normally, the nut is tightened with the correct torque and then the mark is applied.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It’s an anti-roll bar link, so it would roll a bit more in the corners.
Could it roll you sideways over the mountain when you're overlanding, and it let go when you thought you were safe???

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:25 AM
Reaction score
Smart overlanders do regular checks. Sometimes daily if the roads are rough.
Also pays to have spare nuts/spring washers/loctites , torque wrench for when you forget to check.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Smart overlanders do regular checks. Sometimes daily if the roads are rough.
Also pays to have spare nuts/spring washers/loctites , torque wrench for when you forget to check.
Wrench for sure - and a tig.

Back
Top Bottom