The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Have you opened your NATO plug cap?

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:01 AM
Reaction score
1000003419.jpg
Have you opened your cap? Any special way to do it? Mine won't budge. I don't know of a strap wrench would be of use due to the metal flange that wraps around the cap. Any ideas?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:01 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 7851348
Have you opened your cap? Any special way to do it? Mine won't budge. I don't know of a strap wrench would be of use due to the metal flange that wraps around the cap. Any ideas?
Give it some boonty 😁
Find a grandad. Old man strength (finger/wrist) is a real thing.
Pure hate sometimes works.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Give it some boonty 😁
Find a grandad. Old man strength (finger/wrist) is a real thing.
Pure hate sometimes works.
I'm grandad age. Putting myself to shame. Where's that GI Joe with kung fu grip?!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm grandad age. Putting myself to shame. Where's that GI Joe with kung fu grip?!
I'm also a grandad. Sometimes when I can't conjure up enough hate , I defer to my wife's methodical nature 😊
Try padding the jaws of a vice grip tool and carefully adjusting the pressure so as not to crush the cap.
And when you do finally loosen it , clean the threads with a fine wire brush and some WD40

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
One other thing , given the soft threads it can be tricky getting it seated correctly before screwing the cap on.
I marked the 12 o'clock point after finding the sweet spot, so I know it will start in the groove every time.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:01 AM
Reaction score
I tried mine tonight and it opened with no issue. Is anti seize on the threads a good idea?

Les

Contract Signed
Local time
11:01 AM
Reaction score
Just picked mine up (only 15 months 😂)it’s a late MY23 and no NATO plug to be seen? Drives really well and yes well worth the wait

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I tried mine tonight and it opened with no issue. Is anti seize on the threads a good idea?
Yes and no. If you use that socket for a cable to a trailer , the cap will be open to the elements, grit, sand will stick.
My approach : clean the threads with a brass wire brush , add some silicone spray.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Finally got the cap unscrewed with large taped up channel lock pliers. Some clear liquid spilled out. Couldn't tell what it was. Might have been water. It dried up quickly on the warm driveway. I put anti-seize copper on the threads and put the cap back on, hand tight. Thinking of sealing the cap with a rubber o-ring.

Back
Top Bottom