The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Special Edition Badging - 3rd long post

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:51 PM
Reaction score
Thus far I have bored you with my affinity for old things and a personal take on “new” retro vehicles. Then I compounded that drek with a second post about the INEOS logos and badging on the Grenadier. Yet, not unlike Whitesnake, here I go again…

I’ll throw this out there first though – I’m a sucker for “special edition” stuff. Not just cars though - cameras too if I’m honest. I was a working photojournalist before my teaching career and am a bit of a Nikon nerd.

Anyway, like I said, I’m a fool for that stuff. It’s a common plan of attack from car makers to draw people like me in – add a few bespoke logos, stickers, addons, and maybe a limited color option and there you have something for suckers. I used to think of these editions as end-of-the-line cash grabs from manufacturers for outgoing models, but the proliferation of “launch editions” flips that around.

I think for a good bit of the folks here, exclusivity is part of the appeal; it’s why I want something most people don’t have when it comes to what I drive. I just want my vehicle to stand out a bit from the crowd – which is why I drove a G4-edition Land Rover Discovery.

Some of my favorite “special editions” in the Land Rover world include the aforementioned G4 DISCO, any of the TREK trucks, the Continental Divide RRC, and of course the final Heritage Edition DEFENDERS. Sure, they might just be bright paintwork and snazzy decals, but they are something different and just a little bit special.

But it’s not just JLR – lots of other manufactures have put out special editions that caught my eye. The 2006 Gulf Livery Heritage Edition GT-40, Porsche’s 2009 997.2 SPORT CLASSIC which tips its cap to the Carrera RS 2.7 (it even had the little duckbilled spoiler), and the BILL STROPPE BAJA first generation Broncos.

The Grenadier, with its very low production numbers, provides that opportunity without the need to shell out a few extra bucks for the privilege. I’m sure there will ultimately be some special edition Grens too, even if they’re just ones for specific markets. Only time will tell.

One aspect of limited editions that really appeals to me is the custom badging/logos that are often part of the package. I actually have an authentic BADGE off a Continental Divide RRC displayed on my toolbox. I also hang there a less common, before Solihull Land Rover “BIRMINGHAM” badge and a last-of-the-line Discovery II “DECADE of DISCOVERY” badge (I managed to get two of these gratis and applied one to my G4 and kept the other for myself).

Now, if you’ve actually tread this far, you must be wondering what the hell I’m on about. Consider this essay as an extension of my first two pieces and what I’m getting at is that the INEOS Grenadier begs for heritage/vintage/retro badging! I think this applies to the names INEOS and Grenadier and can also apply to a unique logo identifying that it is four-wheel drive equipped. I have been working to create several things that I will share with you in the not-too-distant future, in search of opinion and potential interest.

I am attaching to this post two collections I have put together; first is a list of old, scripty vehicle/model names from the past. These are mostly US domestic ones because that’s what I am familiar with, but please feel free to add any others that interest you. The second is a gathering of four-wheel-drive logos from a variety of marques. There are several from Jeep’s history, but Toyota and others as well. Please take a look and see what catches your eye – good or bad. I love that vehicles from back in the day used script badging; some of it looks quite bespoke while others seem to use very similar typefaces.

I certainly know this suggestion isn’t for everyone and many of you might think I’m crazy for investing this much thought. But I think some unique badging would give an extra touch of special to something I think INEOS overlooked. Regardless I will be removing the INEOS badge from the left-side rear door (provided it’s just attached with adhesive) and look to making something to replace it with – albeit an actual badge or decal.

If this sort of thing is of no interest to you, sobeit – I can’t blame you, then please just move on. I’m not looking for any negativity this close to the holidays.

Attachments

• ScriptBadgesUPLOAD.jpg
    ScriptBadgesUPLOAD.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
  • 4WDLogosUPLOAD.jpg
    4WDLogosUPLOAD.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 97

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:51 PM
Reaction score
Thus far I have bored you with my affinity for old things and a personal take on “new” retro vehicles. Then I compounded that drek with a second post about the INEOS logos and badging on the Grenadier. Yet, not unlike Whitesnake, here I go again…

I’ll throw this out there first though – I’m a sucker for “special edition” stuff. Not just cars though - cameras too if I’m honest. I was a working photojournalist before my teaching career and am a bit of a Nikon nerd.

Anyway, like I said, I’m a fool for that stuff. It’s a common plan of attack from car makers to draw people like me in – add a few bespoke logos, stickers, addons, and maybe a limited color option and there you have something for suckers. I used to think of these editions as end-of-the-line cash grabs from manufacturers for outgoing models, but the proliferation of “launch editions” flips that around.

I think for a good bit of the folks here, exclusivity is part of the appeal; it’s why I want something most people don’t have when it comes to what I drive. I just want my vehicle to stand out a bit from the crowd – which is why I drove a G4-edition Land Rover Discovery.

Some of my favorite “special editions” in the Land Rover world include the aforementioned G4 DISCO, any of the TREK trucks, the Continental Divide RRC, and of course the final Heritage Edition DEFENDERS. Sure, they might just be bright paintwork and snazzy decals, but they are something different and just a little bit special.

But it’s not just JLR – lots of other manufactures have put out special editions that caught my eye. The 2006 Gulf Livery Heritage Edition GT-40, Porsche’s 2009 997.2 SPORT CLASSIC which tips its cap to the Carrera RS 2.7 (it even had the little duckbilled spoiler), and the BILL STROPPE BAJA first generation Broncos.

The Grenadier, with its very low production numbers, provides that opportunity without the need to shell out a few extra bucks for the privilege. I’m sure there will ultimately be some special edition Grens too, even if they’re just ones for specific markets. Only time will tell.

One aspect of limited editions that really appeals to me is the custom badging/logos that are often part of the package. I actually have an authentic BADGE off a Continental Divide RRC displayed on my toolbox. I also hang there a less common, before Solihull Land Rover “BIRMINGHAM” badge and a last-of-the-line Discovery II “DECADE of DISCOVERY” badge (I managed to get two of these gratis and applied one to my G4 and kept the other for myself).

Now, if you’ve actually tread this far, you must be wondering what the hell I’m on about. Consider this essay as an extension of my first two pieces and what I’m getting at is that the INEOS Grenadier begs for heritage/vintage/retro badging! I think this applies to the names INEOS and Grenadier and can also apply to a unique logo identifying that it is four-wheel drive equipped. I have been working to create several things that I will share with you in the not-too-distant future, in search of opinion and potential interest.

I am attaching to this post two collections I have put together; first is a list of old, scripty vehicle/model names from the past. These are mostly US domestic ones because that’s what I am familiar with, but please feel free to add any others that interest you. The second is a gathering of four-wheel-drive logos from a variety of marques. There are several from Jeep’s history, but Toyota and others as well. Please take a look and see what catches your eye – good or bad. I love that vehicles from back in the day used script badging; some of it looks quite bespoke while others seem to use very similar typefaces.

I certainly know this suggestion isn’t for everyone and many of you might think I’m crazy for investing this much thought. But I think some unique badging would give an extra touch of special to something I think INEOS overlooked. Regardless I will be removing the INEOS badge from the left-side rear door (provided it’s just attached with adhesive) and look to making something to replace it with – albeit an actual badge or decal.

If this sort of thing is of no interest to you, sobeit – I can’t blame you, then please just move on. I’m not looking for any negativity this close to the holidays.
Hi Krabby, Thanks for posting all these iconic badges. If your looking for ideas for the Grenadier,
I like the Roadless Fordson badge as it mirrors the Lamba A in Grenadier. It also has a vintage look too. At the top it could say "4x4" and then below "Ineos" and along the bottom "Grenadier". Color in Red like the Grenadier lettering. DaBull

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I like the Roadless Fordson badge as it mirrors the Lamba A in Grenadier.

The Fordson badge is pretty cool. "BUILT ON PURPOSE" worked into the "A" might work.

Always wanted a late 1950s Chevrolet pick-up with the Napco option.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok - I have been playing around and came up with an idea for an Ineos four-wheel drive badge.

I am going to post here a bunch of things I have been playing with that are the same yet different at the same time. I would anticipate getting something like this made up to put on my truck somewhere (probably on the back).

I'm not looking to get hammered here, just some input. The resolution won't be great as it's just a screen grab.

1704224271399.png

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I can see some old school script "Trialmaster" looking pretty sharp.

Trialmaster
US 1st Edition

I could dig that ;)

Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok - I have been playing around and came up with an idea for an Ineos four-wheel drive badge.

I am going to post here a bunch of things I have been playing with that are the same yet different at the same time. I would anticipate getting something like this made up to put on my truck somewhere (probably on the back).

I'm not looking to get hammered here, just some input. The resolution won't be great as it's just a screen grab.

View attachment 7838160
Hi Krabby, If you are thinking clear decals, then any black lettering or lines would be lost on the darker painter colors on the Grenadier.
If the decals are clear, then all Red would be best, except perhaps for the Grenadiers that are painted Queens Red.
My choice if decal is all clear or all white, is the first one in row 3.
DaBull

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Trailmaster
US 1st Edition

I could dig that ;)
Patience grasshopper. 😂

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:51 AM
Reaction score
Waiting for

Trailmaster
US 1st Edition

I could dig that ;)
Or Feildmaster

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:51 AM
Reaction score

View attachment 7838160
The kids will ask what an intravenous wheel drive is???

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Could be viewed as a joc(k)ular response :cool:
Four years of high school Latin and that's about all I remember. Totally should have taken Spanish instead. Mea culpa! 🤣

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Krabby, If you are thinking clear decals, then any black lettering or lines would be lost on the darker painter colors on the Grenadier.
If the decals are clear, then all Red would be best, except perhaps for the Grenadiers that are painted Queens Red.
My choice if decal is all clear or all white, is the first one in row 3.
DaBull
I had not actually accounted for different colors, but you are certainly correct - there would need to be a few varieties. If the overall shape is squarish, I'd hope a sticker company could punch cut several on the same decal, that way there could be three or four different color combinations on one sheet.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My preferences (from what you posted) are the top of Column 2 and the last one of Row 2

Tho my only change to the Last of Row 2 would be to replace "Wheel Drive" w/"Permanent" then add "Wheel Drive" underneath the IV

Back
Top Bottom