The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Deutsch DTP plugs

Local time
8:39 PM
Reaction score
Not quite, thanks.
What is the question again? This images very clearly specifies how the switches are mapped to the various power points. Yes the roof has 4 power locations but three of them are controlled by a single switch, Ext 2, and the fourth (right front) is switched separately by Ext 3. If you are thinking each roof power point has a separate switch that is not how the Grenadier is wired.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
What is the question again? This images very clearly specifies how the switches are mapped to the various power points. Yes the roof has 4 power locations but three of them are controlled by a single switch, Ext 2, and the fourth (right front) is switched separately by Ext 3. If you are thinking each roof power point has a separate switch that is not how the Grenadier is wired.
Thanks for you reply. I clearly stated my question twice. It was not complex. From the picture you are referring to, I thought the owner collectively bundled three wires to be controlled by one switch. Why would three plugs be wired to one switch from the factory? Makes no sense, since there are four external labeled switches on the ceiling panel and four plugs on the roof. This is crazy. How would anyone know that? Frankly, it's a stupid idea!

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for you reply. I clearly stated my question twice. It was not complex. From the picture you are referring to, I thought the owner collectively bundled three wires to be controlled by one switch. Why would three plugs be wired to one switch from the factory? Makes no sense, since there are four external labeled switches on the ceiling panel and four plugs on the roof. This is crazy. How would anyone know that? Frankly, it's a stupid idea!
The three power points are indeed bundled to a single switch from the factory. I agree it is an odd configuration. One of several strange choices by Ineos regarding the electrical system. Most owners question how the dual battery system is structured as well with everything powered by the starting battery and the second battery only serving as a backup.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I don't find the roof switch/power outlet configuration strange at all. One switch controls a single forward roof plug intended for roof-mounted off-highway lighting controlled from the driver's seat (or front seat in general). The other three roof outlets are intended to be used once parked up at the end of the day. A single switch sends power to whatever you have installed at the rear and (for RHD vehicles) on the off side. One click turns them on as you exit the driver's seat then you control each appliance individually through their dedicated on/off controls. I wouldn't want to have to return to the driver's seat to control my camp lights at the end of the day. On top of that the roof outlets aren't intended to be used for tactical purposes. If you need a different configuration start cutting. 🤷‍♂️

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I don't find the roof switch/power outlet configuration strange at all. One switch controls a single forward roof plug intended for roof-mounted off-highway lighting controlled from the driver's seat (or front seat in general). The other three roof outlets are intended to be used once parked up at the end of the day. A single switch sends power to whatever you have installed at the rear and (for RHD vehicles) on the off side. One click turns them on as you exit the driver's seat then you control each appliance individually through their dedicated on/off controls. I wouldn't want to have to return to the driver's seat to control my camp lights at the end of the day. On top of that the roof outlets aren't intended to be used for tactical purposes. If you need a different configuration start cutting. 🤷‍♂️
OK, so which top power plug is connected to the single switch and which switch controls the other three? Is it as shown in the user labeled photo?

Local time
Reaction score
OK, so which top power plug is connected to the single switch and which switch controls the other three? Is it as shown in the user labeled photo?
The right front roof power point is controlled by switch Ext 2. The other three roof power points are all controlled by switch Ext 3, just as is shown in the image posted by Michell300. Horses for courses as to whether this works for any particular owner. Using Ext 2 to switch a front light bar is intuitive. Some people might like having the single switch Ext 3 control camp lights for both sides and the rear of the vehicle. Others might have preferred more control. Say one switch for a front light bar, one switch for camp side lights and a third switch to power a roof top tent. Of course the factory configuration can modified by the owner to better meet their needs. Personally I am likely to install an aftermarket switching system from sPod or Switch Pros in the blank section of the overhead panel which will add a much more flexible switching setup.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:39 AM
Reaction score
This post shows you the relevant switches here. Or look at the diagram below.
1707447996637-png.7843571

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The right front roof power point is controlled by switch Ext 2. The other three roof power points are all controlled by switch Ext 3, just as is shown in the image posted by Michell300. Horses for courses as to whether this works for any particular owner. Using Ext 2 to switch a front light bar is intuitive. Some people might like having the single switch Ext 3 control camp lights for both sides and the rear of the vehicle. Others might have preferred more control. Say one switch for a front light bar, one switch for camp side lights and a third switch to power a roof top tent. Of course the factory configuration can modified by the owner to better meet their needs. Personally I am likely to install an aftermarket switching system from sPod or Switch Pros in the blank section of the overhead panel which will add a much more flexible switching setup.
Yes, I have two sPods controlling the Bantam control unit on my Sprinter. Fully flexible and dimmable. Probable too much of a task to re-wire the Grenny overhead to my liking. How would you modify it? How to find where the wires from the four plugs join? If it were to be under the ceiling panel, then it's doable, but there's probably one wire going to the roof innards and then goes from plug to plug. Even installing an sPod requires a re-wire.

Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I have two sPods controlling the Bantam control unit on my Sprinter. Fully flexible and dimmable. Probable too much of a task to re-wire the Grenny overhead to my liking. How would you modify it? How to find where the wires from the four plugs join? If it were to be under the ceiling panel, then it's doable, but there's probably one wire going to the roof innards and then goes from plug to plug. Even installing an sPod requires a re-wire.
I don't plan to change the factory switch setup. It will be used to power some items but left as designed by Ineos. The sPod will be added as a separate system. The switch pad will simply be surface mounted to the blank section of the factory overhead panel (see image). The wire from the sPod panel will be routed behind the overhead panel, down the A-pillar and back to the electrical box under the rear seat to where the sPod Bantam will be attached to the 2nd battery. I will also be replacing the Ctek unit with a DC/DC dual battery system from Redarc.

434400283_790396969207604_488944080069377314_n.jpeg

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:39 AM
Reaction score
Not quite, thanks.

Since this information is apparently not available, I have an easier way. I have three exterior mounted lights that I'll just connect to the closest provided plug. Then I'll simply flip the switches until I identify the one for each light and mark it appropriately.
That is the best way to do it since, I believe some have been found to be connected differently inside the overhead panel
I believe @ jean was and he switched them round when he had the overhead panel off.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
That is the best way to do it since, I believe some have been found to be connected differently inside the overhead panel
I believe @ jean was and he switched them round when he had the overhead panel off.
I had indeed inverted connectors in the overhead panel. I diagnosed the problem thanks to a picture of the dismounted panel of another early user (perhaps @bemax ), but my dealer solved the problem.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not quite, thanks.

Since this information is apparently not available, I have an easier way. I have three exterior mounted lights that I'll just connect to the closest provided plug. Then I'll simply flip the switches until I identify the one for each light and mark it appropriately.
Hi @Jeffrey
This image first posted by @DCPU provides most of your answer because it matches the control relays to the overhead switches. Reposted by @TheDocAUS above.
From DCPU's investigation EXT 2 is for the front rooftop light bar. If memory serves me correctly that's the front right roof outlet. EXT 3 is for all other roof outlets on a common circuit. Ideally those outlets would be on individual switches but that's not the case. This assumes that MY24 and NA vehicles use the same setup.
If you want to switch those lights independently you will need to use lights with inbuilt switches, or add an inline switch at each outlet. I think a couple of dedicated users have rewired those outlets to achieve separate switching. Not a trivial task but do-able.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @Jeffrey
This image first posted by @DCPU provides most of your answer because it matches the control relays to the overhead switches. Reposted by @TheDocAUS above.
From DCPU's investigation EXT 2 is for the front rooftop light bar. If memory serves me correctly that's the front right roof outlet. EXT 3 is for all other roof outlets on a common circuit. Ideally those outlets would be on individual switches but that's not the case. This assumes that MY24 and NA vehicles use the same setup.
If you want to switch those lights independently you will need to use lights with inbuilt switches, or add an inline switch at each outlet. I think a couple of dedicated users have rewired those outlets to achieve separate switching. Not a trivial task but do-able.
The image I posted above I took and annotated. The diagram was supplied to me by a forum member, who has asked me to keep their identity confidential.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not quite, thanks.

Since this information is apparently not available, I have an easier way. I have three exterior mounted lights that I'll just connect to the closest provided plug. Then I'll simply flip the switches until I identify the one for each light and mark it appropriat

The image I posted above I took and annotated. The diagram was supplied to me by a forum member, who has asked me to keep their identity confidential.
Better not be DCPU. Why have you got privileges? :)

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well, that was unresolved last time that you and @DCPU disagreed over originality and attribution of this same image.
What I can see in the media gallery is that DCPU posted this image without annotations on 20 May, 2023 complete with intact camera metadata.
1712138185709.jpg

Also from a Media Gallery search, you first posted the same image on 31 July, 2023 and used it in this post with credit to @Jean Mercier for at least some of the annotations.
1712138597979.jpg
1712139051627.jpg
So if it's your image taken on Sunday 30th, July 2023 at 3:07pm, as per the metadata, I'm at a loss to understand how it popped out of DCPU's Nokia Lumia phone on Friday 19th May at 3:06pm. Can you please set me straight on this image and the source of the annotations so I can correctly attribute this image as presented?

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well, that was unresolved last time that you and @DCPU disagreed over originality and attribution of this same image.
What I can see in the media gallery is that DCPU posted this image without annotations on 20 May, 2023 complete with intact camera metadata.
View attachment 7851107

Also from a Media Gallery search, you first posted the same image on 31 July, 2023 and used it in this post with credit to @Jean Mercier for at least some of the annotations.
View attachment 7851109
View attachment 7851110
So if it's your image taken on Sunday 30th, July 2023 at 3:07pm, as per the metadata, I'm at a loss to understand how it popped out of DCPU's Nokia Lumia phone on Friday 19th May at 3:06pm. Can you please set me straight on this image and the source of the annotations so I can correctly attribute this image as presented?
That is not the image I posted above in this thread. Yes that image is in the other thread I linked. However, any image than any member posts can be used by other forum members - it is part of the Forum Rules and this has been confirmed to me by Admins. Stop trying to create controversy, when all I did was try and help a member in this thread using my own image and a diagram that I was sent by another member and they were happy for me to use.

DCPU is on my Ignored Members list and has been for a very long time. I cannot see his posts, read his posts or comment on his posts.

Last edited:

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That is not the image I posted above in this thread. Yes that image is in the other thread I linked. However, any image than any member posts can be used by other forum members - it is part of the Forum Rules and this has been confirmed to me by Admins. Stop trying to create controversy, when all I did was try and help a member in this thread using my own image and a diagram that I was sent by another member and they were happy for me to use.

DCPU is on my Ignored Members list and has been for a long time. I cannot see his posts, read his posts or comment on his posts.
Appreciate your attempts to assist other members. Not aware of past politics and not looking to go there.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

DCPU is on my Ignored Members list and has been for a long time. I cannot see his posts, read his posts or comment on his posts.
So attribution is important if you claim an image is yours, or you wouldn't bother correcting me at post 232, but you're happy to lean on the forum rules to use an image contributed by someone else? Attribution is about acknowledgement of the work done by others which makes this forum such a valuable resource.
You took similar offence at @DCPU when he called you out for the same thing previously which resulted in a series of ugly exchanges between you, Stu, Krabby and DPCU. Based on the treatment he received in that exchange he withdrew at his choice from making further contributions to the forum - to our collective loss.
Goodbye.

Back
Top Bottom