The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Harry’s Farm and Garage. Why does Harry Metcalfe hate the Grenadier?

Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
I have watched Harry’s reviews of the Grenadier and he does not like it. My experience driving this car is quite limited to a short, off-road track
in Bowmanville, Ontario last weekend.
I would appreciate any feedback from others who have driven the Grenadier and also viewed Harry’s videos.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:22 PM
Reaction score
I have watched Harry’s reviews of the Grenadier and he does not like it. My experience driving this car is quite limited to a short, off-road track
I would appreciate any feedback from others who have driven the Grenadier and also viewed Harry’s videos.
Then you might be interested in this link here:

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:22 AM
Reaction score
His LinkedIn profile is not active that I can see at the moment but it previously stated: "Harry Metcalfe · Independent Consultant for Jaguar Land Rover Special Operations" I think any self respecting journalist would be up-front about any possibility of bias or conflicting interest.

Local time
4:22 PM
Reaction score
From what l've watched he said that he doesn't need what the Grenadier is offering, not that he doesn't like it.

He wasn't entirely taken with the Defender 90 Commercial either, complaining mainly about the load space and under floor storage.

Reactions: PBD

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I thought the same. I think it is the tone of the review that makes it seem unduly negative. For example he seems disappointed that it makes it up the hill. And when describing the on road handling instead of praising it he grudgingly says “I’ll give it that” I think its fair to say that he didn’t want to like it.

Like lightning I it makes me like it more not less. I actually like the fact that it won’t have mass appeal. IA would probably prefer that it did however.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:22 PM
Reaction score
I think he has proven that he is biased against the Grenadier. Not only in "Harry's Garage," but also in combination with his "Harry's Farm" video, it's obvious. There he simply puts on wellies and repeats shots and comments from the "Harry's Garage" video. How stupid is that?

The farm video claims to examine Grenadier for his suitability for farm work. But I didn't see a single scene where the Grenadier was used for agricultural purposes. What a load of crap.

To me it looks more like he wanted to spread his message about as many people as he can reach with his channel.

To answer the question of the thread: Because Grenadier doesn't fit his clientele and will most likely "take away" some potential LR Defender buyers from him.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Grenadier isn’t for everybody and nor should it be. For me, the uniqueness of it, combined with back story were a compelling reason to own one. Have driven mine for nearly five weeks, it’s the heft of the thing, its capability, the engine noise (diesel of course) the subtle drive line whine, the power transfer you feel going on underneath gives it character.. every time I get in it, it makes me feel i’m really “going somewhere” as you have to engage with it. That’s missing from most vehicles nowadays..

Yes it has some niggles, it likes a drink but there’s literally nothing like it on the market.
In breeding terms it is a cross between a BMW 5 series and a Unimog - the axles are literally from a tractor… Reviews be damned….
IMG_0423.jpeg

Local time
Reaction score
l didn't feel the negative vibes in the review as much as many people have.

He had the Defender on loan for 12 months.
l think if he kept the Grenadier it would almost certainly have grown on him. A week is not enough, particularly to get to grips with a vehicle like a Grenadier.

Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
His criticism of the turning radius is valid but overblown. I noticed the same issue at the beginning of my test drive but, by the end, I had adjusted and it was a nonissue. It certainly does not merit the amount of whining he did about it.

Local time
Reaction score
lf it's anything like the old Defender, the front lock stops can be adjusted to reduce the turning circle. They are set conservatively as standard to account for various wheels that could be fitted by owners.

Local time
Reaction score
l bet Land Rover bosses are crying into their cornflakes looking at the success of the Grenadier project, and the missed opportunity to create a proper Defender replacement

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hard to judge success of The Grenadier just yet IMO. Pretty sure that the new Defender is successful though (based on demand/sales/global appeal).
I personally don’t like the route taken by JLR and their hypocritical attempts to thwart Ineos but they remain a successful manufacturer IMO.

Local time
Reaction score
Land Rover could have done both. They had the old Defender factory already running that could have been re purposed to produce something like the Grenadier.

And they could still have done the new "Defender"
The two are so far apart that there would have been few sales lost either way.

Tu Sugars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:22 AM
Reaction score
I also watched the review and recalled Harry's Defender comments... I thought his opinion of the Grenadier seemed uninformed. Like he had a very cursory read of a brochure, and that was it.
I watched Harry's Bentley Bentayga review. My existing VW Touareg R V8 has maybe 90% of the Bentayga's fluffy bits ... The VW, at a fraction of the money, was a great capable drive when new but .... now, after 90K, the "clever bits" are failing.... they are not kinda Bosch generic, and is that not what we all want? Simple basic stuff that we can tinker with?

Harry's was, to my mind, a one-eyed opinion. OUR choice of a Grenadier is that it is not meant to be up there as the Bentley Bentayga with a growl, the fruits and excess of a $350K vehicle - We are here on this forum as many of us are sick of the BS of computers and button brakes. An old bloke like me cannot wait to get my Grenadier with HANDBRAKE!

Back
Top Bottom