The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Harry’s Farm and Garage. Why does Harry Metcalfe hate the Grenadier?

RavenVoice

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
l didn't buy my Defender as a "posers vehicle" although the blinged up ones are probably more so.
Mines a base spec 90 HT
You could probably "pose" better in a Grenadier tbh because of its rarity and great looks.

The Defender is flippin' awesome off road. The off road features aren't gimmicks if you actually go off road in the vehicle, although a purist would probably turn off the HDC and traction control.

l l've never seen one racing round the streets breaking the speed limits! ln fact it doesn't encourage that kind of driving. lt certainly feels well built too, l've had no issues with mine.

Having said that, if l wanted an expedition vehicle l would choose the Grenadier. Not that l don't think my Defender would make it, but the Grenadier just looks more fit for purpose.

lf l change my Defender for a Grenadier it will be mainly for the looks of it, and the perceived lifespan. Also the option of a five seat Commercial.

These are both great vehicles and it's good to have a choice.
Sorry buddy, I didn’t mean any offence & I’m not trying to tarnish everybody with the same brush here (there’s always exceptions to the rule of course). I personally don’t see many new Defenders like yours, most of the one’s I see on the roads (& I must add that they seem to be absolutely everywhere where I live) are the blinged out posing mobiles that will likely never ever see a dirt track; plus, anybody I’ve spoken to who has bought one for actual off-road or utility use has had nothing but problems & has regretted their purchase (which rings totally true to me as I had these same issues myself with the Discovery Sport).

I think it’s fantastic if yours has worked out for you though as that’s really the only thing that matters: the vehicle purchased is fit for purpose & makes the owner happy. There’s no judgement from me regarding people looking for a different thing than I am as we all have different needs &/or desires; I just don’t like people trying to smear/trash products for unjustified reasons. I feel that comparing the Grenadier to a modern SUV (which is what the new Defender is in it’s bones regardless of the person driving it) just makes no sense to me unless there’s an ulterior motive behind doing so.

RavenVoice

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
…oh, & it’s not that I’m trashing anyone for blinging out their vehicles either, my Grenny probably looks pretty blinged out by most people’s standards! Haha 🙃

Reactions: Max

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:28 PM
Reaction score
Sir Jim commented well over a year ago that he was also disappointed that some of the electronics had to be included, against his wishes, to pass global vehicle laws so it could be sold and registered on the road.
For instance in Australia you must have
ESC
ABS
Reversing camera
Airbags

I am not aware of any vehicle that has an analogue speedo/tacho anymore.
Some have digital ones made to look like them.

At least we have a proper handbrake and transfer case lever.
Shame the diff locks weren't just rocker switches.
That's absolutely true and people complain about that seem to live out of the contemporary world... BTW many of us use to own or still own an old Defender. I must admit that I spent some time (in 2017) to decide to follow the Grenadier project or to invest 20-30.000 euro in improving my Def. I must admit, without any shame, that to get something in the same philosophy of Defender not just improved in the basics, but with some creature comforts and some pieces of modernity, appeals me. It's very fancy to declare yourself faithful of plain vanilla old Defender, but spending every day many kms in your car, to be able to make a call in a quiet environment or to be able to listen a Mahler symphony with good quality detracts nothing from the great tough and pure qualities of the Grenadier... When I switch from a Td5 to a Td4 it seemed a heresy (like to switch from a Series to a Defender), but to get a decent a/c instead of the under windshield flaps, or real rear seats instead of the benches was a great improvement for people using a car not just as a toy...

Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
Because you can’t really compare the two (anyone who has seen a Grenadier in the flesh & had the pleasure of driving one will know this). The Grenadier is in a whole other league in terms of build quality than anything that has ever bourne the Land Rover badge (the only thing that could possibly come close is an old G-Class but, as an owner with real experience of the car, that’s even beat by the Gren in my opinion).

On top of this the new Defender is an SUV with some electronically controlled off-road features/gimmicks (a posers vehicle & nothing more if we’re being totally honest); the Grenadier is a true old-skool 4x4 & software issues do not inhibit it’s performance when it comes to driving. I can live with a few overly sensitive warning messages flashing on the screen from time-to-time - I cannot live with a car that will have a hissy-fit, switch into limp mode, prevent me from driving properly & cost me a fortune in continual repair bills that don’t ever really fix anything.

Those who want an SUV for the school & shopping mall runs that they can kit out with useless street-cred accessories (like big plastic side boxes that look like Beats headphones), put their seat in sports-car position & race around the roads breaking the speed-limit will most certainly want the Defender & will despise the Grenadier. Those who want a reliable, take anywhere, last years, built-like-a-tank, true off-roader will be smitten with the Grenadier & never even consider the Defender regardless of what rubbish corporate shills like Harry Metcalfe try to push on people. They’re totally different cars which are built for totally different purposes & for totally different types of people; it’s moronic to compare the two if you ask me. Would you compare a Tesla Model S to a Dodge Charger SRT (tried to make my comparison make sense to those of you on the other side of the pond there 🙂).

I also don’t see why you take issue with the option of adding heating seats etc? For many of us this car is (or will be) a daily driver & a few creature comforts make it a nicer experience without inhibiting the performance of the vehicle in any way; plus, if you don’t want them then simply don’t option them!?
There’s lots of irony and projection in this reply, with all due respect. This could be a case study on cognitive dissonance, lol.

You seem desperate to differentiate yourself from those who drive a Defender, and that “image” is ultimately what the IG project represents - even though the vehicles aren’t all that different in the grand scheme of things. Make no mistake, both the IG and Defender are nothing but overland cosplay items for 90% of drivers. In similar vain as the Defender, the IG is only “old-skool” in BOF engineering.

I’ve sat in a Grenadier, and everything from the quality of the plastics to the switches didn’t scream $72k vehicle, let alone one that would last 30 years (even though that’s a moot point as we move away from ICE). I will not debate LR’s spotty quality control, but I should mention my 110 has been rock solid. Regardless, I’m not sure it’s fair to assess build quality until more are out in the wild, any broad statement made on build quality or reliability is nothing more than speculation at this point in time.

Back to the L663: As @lightning said, those off-road “gimmicks” are remarkably useful on the new Defender. I’ve taken mine to some very intensive terrain and have had no issues whatsoever. As I previously mentioned, many of those “gimmicks” are present in the Grenadier and are already causing problems for owners - the same problems LR owners have dealt with for years. See the irony here?

You want a vehicle that is off-road capable AND comfortable as a daily driver - the latter of which has already been questioned by a number of IG reviews. Isn’t that mix of on road refinement and off-road capability the very ethos of modern era LR products? Again, do you see the irony here?

I’m not intending to sound disrespectful, this is for the sake of discussion.

Local time
Reaction score
I should add, I REALLY wanted to like the Grenadier. I’m pointing this out because I think there are things to be improved upon in a refresh/revision. Constructive criticism from potential buyers will be key to Ineos’ long term viability in the industry. I stand by my points and hope future models will align closer with the original ethos of the Grenadier. I think the first release poses some glaring questions that need to be answered with future revisions.

RavenVoice

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There’s lots of irony and projection in this reply, with all due respect. This could be a case study on cognitive dissonance, lol.

You seem desperate to differentiate yourself from those who drive a Defender, and that “image” is ultimately what the IG project represents - even though the vehicles aren’t all that different in the grand scheme of things. Make no mistake, both the IG and Defender are nothing but overland cosplay items for 90% of drivers. In similar vain as the Defender, the IG is only “old-skool” in BOF engineering.

I’ve sat in a Grenadier, and everything from the quality of the plastics to the switches didn’t scream $72k vehicle, let alone one that would last 30 years (even though that’s a moot point as we move away from ICE). I will not debate LR’s spotty quality control, but I should mention my 110 has been rock solid. Regardless, I’m not sure it’s fair to assess build quality until more are out in the wild, any broad statement made on build quality or reliability is nothing more than speculation at this point in time.

Back to the L663: As @lightning said, those off-road “gimmicks” are remarkably useful on the new Defender. I’ve taken mine to some very intensive terrain and have had no issues whatsoever. As I previously mentioned, many of those “gimmicks” are present in the Grenadier and are already causing problems for owners - the same problems LR owners have dealt with for years. See the irony here?

You want a vehicle that is off-road capable AND comfortable as a daily driver - the latter of which has already been questioned by a number of IG reviews. Isn’t that mix of on road refinement and off-road capability the very ethos of modern era LR products? Again, do you see the irony here?
We’ll have to beg to differ my friend. I own a Grenadier (have done for about a month now) & my previous car was a modern Land Rover so nothing I’m saying regarding quality is speculative as it comes from real-world experience. I also think the main difference here is that when you talk about quality you’re talking about interior surface finishing materials like plastic trim; when I talk about quality I’m talking about the actual mechanical aspects of the vehicle. Compare what’s under the bonnet, under the wheel arches or the underside of the vehicle & you’ll see what I mean. Again, different vehicles for different needs & I’m not questioning people choosing a Defender, I’m just questioning the continual comparisons & the attempts to trash the Grenadier by using these apples for oranges comparisons.

RavenVoice

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I should add, I REALLY wanted to like the Grenadier. I’m pointing this out because I think there are things to be improved upon in a refresh/revision. Constructive criticism from potential buyers will be key to Ineos’ long term viability in the industry. I stand by my points and hope future models will align closer with the original ethos of the Grenadier. I think the first release poses some glaring questions that need to be answered with future revisions.
I totally understand your perspective dude & respect your opinion. For me though the Grenadier does not miss mark & I couldn’t be happier with my new vehicle (don’t ask me about my experience with the agent though as that has been utterly atrocious). My whole reason for answering you like I did was because you said you didn’t understand why people would chose the Grenadier & not just go for the Defender; therefore, I was trying to explain this from the perspective of those of us whom have …all meant with the best of intentions. 🙂

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Grenadier is far from perfect. But its way better than the new Defovery or Discender. Its a much more worthy successor to the old defender thats for sure.
I think it will do well, it won’t outsell the defender, in fact I bet it doesn’t come close, but with sales restricted by emissions regs anyway I don’t suppose that will bother INEOS.
My perfect grenadier would have the same build, axles, transmission etc. Same interior but ditch the bits that were designed by the lawyers. I.e. Ditch the wont drive with door open, ditch the diff lock engagement system, ditch the off road mode and just have each system on a driver decides setting. Ditch the plastic bumpers, (I’ll be doing that anyway at some point.)
So if you wanted to turn the PDC off just press a button.
If you’re stupid enough to engage the diff lock at 80mph then you should be able to.
I’d have no audible bongs at all. None. Just warning lights.

Apart from that kind of thing, I think its great! Mechanically ideal for my needs. Enough power, decent handling for a live axle vehicle. Well built, and nice to look at.

I’m sure Harry’s Defovery is a nice car and I’m happy for him that he likes it, but I just know that I wouldn’t.

Local time
Reaction score
We’ll have to beg to differ my friend. I own a Grenadier (have done for about a month now) & my previous car was a modern Land Rover so nothing I’m saying regarding quality is speculative as it comes from real-world experience. I also think the main difference here is that when you talk about quality you’re talking about interior surface finishing materials like plastic trim; when I talk about quality I’m talking about the actual mechanical aspects of the vehicle. Compare what’s under the bonnet, under the wheel arches or the underside of the vehicle & you’ll see what I mean. Again, different vehicles for different needs & I’m not questioning people choosing a Defender, I’m just questioning the continual comparisons & the attempts to trash the Grenadier by using these apples for oranges comparisons.
I mean, if we’re narrowing the goalposts on what “build quality” is, should we first pay recognition to both the L663 and IG having BMW engines? Both sharing the same ZF 8 speed transmission? Both using largely aluminum body construction?

I would also impart that it isn’t an “attack” on the IG to compare it to the L663. Ineos made many decisions in respect to the vehicles’ design which ultimately aligns it with the new Defender. People will cross shop between the two - regardless of live axles or IFS. My criticism of the IG is that it IS similar to my L663, I really wanted it to be different.

I will add that the Disco Sport is perhaps the most unreliable model LR ever made, but that doesn’t discredit your experience. I would never buy a Disco Sport, lol.

Local time
Reaction score
The Grenadier is far from perfect. But its way better than the new Defovery or Discender.

Have you driven the new Defender ?

"It's a much more worthy successor to the old defender thats for sure"

l agree. But the Grenadier and Defender are both equally capable it just depends on how you want to handle your expedition, in a Grenadier or in a Defender.

For most people the Defender will work better, as the furthest they will get off road is a field at the local horse trials.
But for those 10% who actually plan to do serious off road or head into the Wilds, the Grenadier would be the better choice.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have you driven the new Defender ?

"It's a much more worthy successor to the old defender thats for sure"

l agree. But the Grenadier and Defender are both equally capable it just depends on how you want to handle your expedition, old Skool or new.
No, I’ve been a passenger on a fairly long trip in one. Its a nice car for sure. But its a car not a truck.

FlyingTrotter

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For me it’s also a factor that the new Defender is practically uninsurable in London - check out the LR theft data - it’s scary - I have many friends with Defenders and others considering them - I respect them but I don’t warm to them and they have their weak points - rear luggage area being a big one making it compromised for my use but they sell millions so they are obviously successful despite the reliability issues

Local time
Reaction score
For me it’s also a factor that the new Defender is practically uninsurable in London - check out the LR theft data - it’s scary - I have many friends with Defenders and others considering them - I respect them but I don’t warm to them and they have their weak points - rear luggage area being a big one making it compromised for my use but they sell millions so they are obviously successful despite the reliability issues
The theft thing is weird and inexplicably seems to be a non existent issue w/ the L663 in the US. Here Hyundais and Kias are uninsurable.

I’m not sure the L663 has any major reliability concerns thus far in its lifespan - perhaps besides an issue with the premium halo LEDS shorting out randomly. I can only speak to the petrol models though.

No, I’ve been a passenger on a fairly long trip in one. It’s a nice car for sure. But it’s a car not a truck.
How can you criticize a vehicle’s capability if you’ve never sat in the drivers seat, yet alone taken it off road yourself?

RavenVoice

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I will add that the Disco Sport is perhaps the most unreliable model LR ever made, but that doesn’t discredit your experience. I would never buy a Disco Sport, lol.
Ha. I would never have bought one under normal circumstances either. I needed something as a stop-gap while waiting for my Grenadier though & thought it was a sensible choice as it would be easy to move on. Certainly glad to see the back of it! 😆

Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
The Grenadier is far from perfect. But its way better than the new Defovery or Discender. Its a much more worthy successor to the old defender thats for sure.
I think it will do well, it won’t outsell the defender, in fact I bet it doesn’t come close, but with sales restricted by emissions regs anyway I don’t suppose that will bother INEOS.
My perfect grenadier would have the same build, axles, transmission etc. Same interior but ditch the bits that were designed by the lawyers. I.e. Ditch the wont drive with door open, ditch the diff lock engagement system, ditch the off road mode and just have each system on a driver decides setting. Ditch the plastic bumpers, (I’ll be doing that anyway at some point.)
If you’re stupid enough to engage the diff lock at 80mph then you should be able to.
I’d have no audible bongs at all. None. Just warning lights.

Apart from that kind of thing, I think its great! Mechanically ideal for my needs. Enough power, decent handling for a live axle vehicle. Well built, and nice to look at.

I’m sure Harry’s Defovery is a nice car and I’m happy for him that he likes it, but I just know that I wouldn’t.
"My perfect grenadier would have the same build, axles, transmission etc. Same interior but ditch the bits that were designed by the lawyers. I.e. Ditch the wont drive with door open, ditch the diff lock engagement system, ditch the off road mode and just have each system on a driver decides setting. Ditch the plastic bumpers, (I’ll be doing that anyway at some point.)
I’d have no audible bongs at all. None. Just warning lights."

My 25 year old Hilux only bongs at you if you leave the lights on. It is slightly irritating but I have decided over the 25 years I've owned it that I'm OK with that. It doesn't care about seat belts or anything else. And obviously no lane assist or this sort of nonsense

My Grenadier came last week. Shale Blue Utility - I see you've ordered Shale (not sure if you have it yet). It's a great colour. So glad I stuck to it. I have had a few spurious beeps and bongs, I am hoping software update will fix them. I ignore them ofc but will not ignore lights on one!

Cheers Mike

Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
"My perfect grenadier would have the same build, axles, transmission etc. Same interior but ditch the bits that were designed by the lawyers. I.e. Ditch the wont drive with door open, ditch the diff lock engagement system, ditch the off road mode and just have each system on a driver decides setting. Ditch the plastic bumpers, (I’ll be doing that anyway at some point.)

My 25 year old Hilux only bongs at you if you leave the lights on. It is slightly irritating but I have decided over the 25 years I've owned it that I'm OK with that. It doesn't care about seat belts or anything else. And obviously no lane assist or this sort of nonsense

My Grenadier came last week. Shale Blue Utility - I see you've ordered Shale (not sure if you have it yet). It's a great colour. So glad I stuck to it. I have had a few spurious beeps and bongs, I am hoping software update will fix them. I ignore them ofc but will not ignore lights on one!

Cheers Mike
PS - Harry's reviews on Grenadier really bizarre I think

RavenVoice

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Cheers Mike
FYI. it will drive with the door open, it just won’t drive with both the door open AND the seatbelt unbuckled. 😉

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

How can you criticize a vehicle’s capability if you’ve never sat in the drivers seat, yet alone taken it off road yourself?
I’m not criticising its capability. Its clearly very capable. But I want solid axles, manually operated diff locks, and a vehicle thats easy to customise. The commercial version that my friend has got is actually quite small in the load area, smaller than the grenadier with the seats down, let alone the 2 seat Gren.
I’ve had lots of JLR products, 3 defenders, which I put a combined 490,000 miles on, a freelander 2 and a disco3. I liked them all. I just dont like the new discender.

Back
Top Bottom