The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas My Grenadier / Thoughts After 6 Weeks

Tergosa

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:26 AM
Reaction score
Agreed.
I don’t want to hijack this thread, but the driver assist “nannies” have been creeping for decades. I see both side but still fall on the side of “dangerous freedom”.

We could solve a lot of traffic deaths and injuries if we restricted licensing. No drivers under 25, or over 65, or with 1 DWI etc…
Completely unrealistic and that would destroy peoples lives. However, overregulating the rest of us that choose to act responsibly is BS also.

Back to the Grenadier though, at least when you select “off road” mode, it lets you drive without the seatbelt, disabled auto start/stop and you can open the door while backing up.
Over 65 huh, careful for those of us older with plenty of wit and health

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
That’s sorta what I meant……it’s ludicrous to think that such rights could be impeded based on some arbitrary thing…. Regulations have a way of creeping, so who knows what’s possible
I’m 67 and feel that my driving abilities are the same as they were years ago. So hopefully the regulations don’t outlaw my age group in the coming years.

Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
All - This is my somewhat lengthy / long-winded review of the Grenadier after 6 weeks.

If you follow Tesla at all, Elon Musk is always quick to say, 'Prototypes are easy; manufacturing is hard.' INEOS seems to have figured out both the prototype and manufacturing sides! Great job on that.

Overall, I love the Grenadier. Looks, style, color choices, options, engine, transmission, interior, seats, storage/cargo space, rear doors, the list goes on and on.

I anticipated issues with a first-generation vehicle/first-time manufacturer. Overall, I am pleasantly surprised. Some software bugs are here and there, a few fit-and-finish things here and there, but nothing that dramatically takes away from what I love about the Grenadier.

I hesitate to use the word 'hate,' so I will say there are a few things I 'strongly dislike.' It's a very short list and includes the way INEOS implemented the ADAS system in the USA (I know, big surprise coming from me).

But that's not what this post is about. This post is about 'FRICTION.'

I have a few vehicles, but I'm going to focus on my 2006 Land Cruiser. It has 175,000 miles, center locking differential, BFG K02s, Rock Sliders, Bluetooth add-on, heated seats, and an old-school key. It has airbags and seatbelt reminders but no other meaningful safety features like lane departure, blind spot awareness, speed alerts, etc., because of its age.

The Land Cruiser is my utilitarian, do-anything, go-anywhere, anytime vehicle. Bad weather? I take the Land Cruiser. Trail run? I take the Land Cruiser. Lowes/Home Depot? I take the Land Cruiser. Dog park? I take the Land Cruiser. Road trip? I take the Land Cruiser. You get the point.

Why is this important? For me, the Land Cruiser is the type of utilitarian, purpose-driven vehicle the Grenadier was designed to replace. And, so far, it's not.

For a frame of reference, the Grenadier is better than my 2006 Land Cruiser in 'almost,' and maybe even 'every way.'

So, after having the Grenadier for almost 6 weeks, I am still somewhat defaulting to the Land Cruiser. Why? There is no 'friction' when I get in the Land Cruiser and GO. For the most part, it has everything I want and nothing I don't. This is really important to me.

An important side note: My friend with a 2021 G-Wagon has defaulted to the Grenadier.

So, where are the 'Friction' points with making the Grenadier my 'Get in and Go' vehicle?

It's New: To be fair, maybe the 'newness' hasn't worn off to the point I'm ready to use it the way it was designed to be used. Maybe I don't want the dog scratching the leather seats (Seat covers ordered and on the way). Time will tell.

Physical Ignition Key: I don't mind the physical key. The Land Cruiser has one as well, and it slides right in. However, in the Grenadier, the key is awkward to get in the ignition, pretty much every time, day or night. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the angle, maybe it's just hard to see the angle, or maybe the 'ignition and the key' don't like each other. Not sure about this one.

Auto Start/Stop: The Auto Start/Stop is not bad. It's not abrupt, and it doesn't rock the whole vehicle like other cars I've been in do. And, importantly, the button is in a great location and easy to turn off! The problem is, if I don't turn it off, it often activates when I'm trying to do a three-point turn (more on this up next). I shouldn't have to deactivate Auto Start/Stop trying to park. More on parking later.

Steering: Why do new car companies mess around with steering? Tesla with the rectangular steering wheel and now INEOS with old-school steering box or whatever makes the number of turns so many and the turning radius so bad?

Unrelated to the Grenadier comparison to the LC, there is a night and day difference between the steering dynamics of my '76 Bronco and my '97 Defender D90. The D90 tracks straight down the road in all conditions, and the turning radius is good as well. I have no idea if the steering wheel returns to center because it's largely effortless. The '76 Bronco, less so. Somewhere along the way, manufacturers figured these things out, and they seem to be missing in the Grenadier.

I understand (and appreciate) the mentality of 'it's an offroad vehicle first,' but sometimes you go into town for supplies or a movie or dinner or go to the city for the weekend.

Others have complained about the 'lack of return' to center. I put this in the 'tolerate' category, but parking lots/parking garages are tough to navigate and somewhat embarrassing with people watching. Parallel parking, especially in somewhat tight spots, is an athletic event. It's difficult at best and, in some cases, impossible.

Automatic Driver Assistance System (ADAS): ADAS, which includes AEB, Land Departure, Traffic Sign Recognition, Speed Alert, and a few other things, is actually good, but the Alerts and the ability to configure the system are 'terrible bordering on intolerable' in my opinion.

The major issue (for me) is that you must turn it partially off every single time you start the vehicle if you don't want to hear the clicking (8 CLICKS in a row) when you go a few miles an hour over the speed limit. Repeat these clicks in your head because it happens over and over and over and over as you speed up and slow down in traffic.

The Lane Departure feature in ADAS, which I would argue is a 'more relevant' safety feature, gets 'one' very tolerable chime. Simple and to the point. No Friction!

ADAS, unfortunately, does not have 'Blind Spot Assist.' I would say it is one of the best and most important safety features a car can have.

In the case of the Grenadier, I would think this would be one of the most important safety features given the lack of visibility with the B Pillar (that's what you see when you turn your head directly to the left and can't see the car next to you) and the lack of visibility with the double rear doors and spare tire.

Height: Yes, I know, it's an off-road vehicle. And, yes, it's somewhat of a pain to get into at 5'9". The optional Side Steps/Sliders unfortunately don't help much. Both seem to be mounted too far inside the frame. The Sliders can't be used as even a partial step like on my Land Cruiser, and the side steps are also too close to the vehicle, and feet get caught between the step and the underbody when getting into the vehicle. My G-Wagon friend pointed this out, and I agree.

Pre-Flight Routine: This is the Major Friction Point for me, and this is what makes the Grenadier not a 'get in and go' vehicle. Every time I get in it, I must go through the same routine.

Here is what the Pre-flight Routine looks like in both vehicles:

Land Cruiser: Unlock w/ Key Fob, Open Door, Climb in, Close door, Seatbelt on, key in ignition, Start car, GO.

Grenadier: Unlock w/ Key Fob, Open Door, Climb in, Seatbelt on, key in ignition, Start car, Turn off Auto Start/Stop, Wait for display to boot, Hit Favorite Button (Usually works the first time), Turn Off Speed Limit Warning, Push CarPlay button, GO.

That is a lot of Friction. Maybe not on a long drive, but as a daily driver, it is too much, in my opinion. Leave the house, Pre-Flight Routine, Get gas, Pre-Flight Routine, Go to the grocery, Pre-Flight Routine, Stop at FedEx, Pre-Flight Routine. I probably sound like a soccer parent (I'm not), but there is a version of this even when you are offroad if you're not on an identified road with a posted speed limit.

Finally, and importantly, I really like the Grenadier as a new vehicle, but I want to love it like an old one.

The 'problem' here is that the 2% of things I can 'handle' and 'strongly dislike' overshadow the 98% I love. Why? Because the 2% is on my mind, in my face, and in my ears 100% of the time. Customer satisfaction lives and dies in that small but important 2%.
Good review. The points you hit are the reasons I didn't accept mine when it arrived. As much as my heart wanted it, my common sense wouldn't let me spend almost a $100,000.00 for something that was going to aggravate me every time I got in it.

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you now officially a reject?
I am trying to understand the process of rejecting . I have stated I want a brand new replacement with all costs eg tracker, dash cam , private plate transfer to be covered. I am told they will make a decision on the defects on my car next week.......
This may be an Ineos week though..........

Local time
Reaction score
I’m 67 and feel that my driving abilities are the same as they were years ago. So hopefully the regulations don’t outlaw my age group in the coming years.
This is a 1964 Brabham BT11 being raced by a 72 year old in 2022 Monaco Historiques.
Capability is not related to age.

Attachments

• IMG_2178.jpeg
    IMG_2178.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:26 AM
Reaction score
This is a 1964 Brabham BT11 being raced by a 72 year old in 2022 Monaco Historiques.
Capability is not related to age.
Tell that to the aviation authorities.
Can’t fly airliners if you are 65 and up.
Can’t be an air traffic controller in the US once you reach 55.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When you car is immobilized during that government-issued snow alert, it will be in the name of "safety".

I don't think your scenario is as far-fetched as we might imagine. Coming soon is software that will immobilize your car if it detects that you are "drunk" or too "drowsy" to drive. Legislation included in the "Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act", passed in January 2021. See copy and paste below:

SEC. 24220. ADVANCED IMPAIRED DRIVING TECHNOLOGY

View attachment 7838994

Yes, there are too many car accidents, and I can understand why anyone who has lost a loved one to a car accident would want to see as many safety features as possible mandated by law. But I think there are ways to make the roads safer that are less invasive, and that do not expose the public to potential abuse at the hands of hackers, or some form of government overreach. I also understand that not everyone sees this issue in the same way. Each of us has our own perspective, shaped by our own life experiences. I am a combat veteran who was deployed downrange in two theaters during the Cold War. I have seen the consequences when governments take away individual liberty in the name of some "greater good", and its never good.

“We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it.” - William Faulkner

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
There should be no laws against drunk driving. Only drunk crashing.

(Dons double thick flame proof suit)

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Soon we'll have to pass a test when renewing our licenses. Like the eye test.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You guys are looking at this wrong. They WANT old people driving. Old people are one of the few groups that have cash to spend. They stay at home, and they don’t spend money. Self driving cars are ALL about keeping old people on the road, moving and SPENDING. Tech to keep them from running into other people is to keep them moving and SPENDING.

If we were serious about safety, we’d put speed limiters on cars and more impactfuly, make it so phones stop working in hand held mode above 10 mph. See that happening anytime soon? Stop worrying about keep old codgers off the road, when we don’t even make them take periodic driving tests after the age of 65…

DMZNOLA

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I laughed at the meme but don't forget "real" mean used to wear powder and wigs circa 1776. :)

(and no I don't have a man bun or long hair).

on topic, based on reviews I am assuming that when I get my Grenadier I will still mostly default to my R1S which has been solid especially in winter conditions.

edited to add: The Rivian has very aggressive lane departure warning, so sensitive that most drivers disable it (which thankfully can be done as a universal setting and not at the start of each drive).
Haha, I have a Rivian R1s and I had to force myself to stop using my 2007 FJ as default.

We are picking up my wife’s Grenadier next week.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
I am trying to understand the process of rejecting . I have stated I want a brand new replacement with all costs eg tracker, dash cam , private plate transfer to be covered. I am told they will make a decision on the defects on my car next week.......
This may be an Ineos week though..........
My Ineos week started this time on 13th December 23, I’m in the same position as you I think, rejecting my car and either a new one or full refund.
chased Tom Johnson up 7 days ago, still nothing other than “he understands my frustration”!
We early adopters / vips (Ineos words not mine) with first builds that are just not fit for purpose, are just being ignored.
Wonder how many of us here on the forum are trying to reject their vehicle?

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wasn’t there a checklist to go through the systems and known problems with the IG before acceptance? I have to say that I don’t buy cars often, and not a new one for myself since 2003, so I usually just get in and get going, like an idiot.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:26 PM
Reaction score

T5Ineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It’s the disappointment of those types of people that prodded mfgs to start to gradually soften things along the way. While I recognize it’s not apples to apples, look at the transition of these vehicles (NA spec) LR Discovery, Nissan Pathfinder, Ford Explorer… their 1st generation iterations were super tough and capable but much more truck-like. Slowly, generation to generation they softened, became more carlike and in turn, far less (maybe not at all) capable. Reminds me of this:

View attachment 7838974
What you’re saying makes sense and as someone whos has purchased many specific “purpose oriented” vehicles/exotics i can embrace the entire list outlined in the OP with the exception of the ADAS speed warning. Its borderline unbearable and is actually a component that waters down the utility feeling of this vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom