The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Are you considering or have you wrapped your Grenadier? If so, with what and why?

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:52 PM
Reaction score
Please bear with me while I waffle during this 30 day U.S. order window. Perhaps I'm not alone. I have been leaning Scottish White on my paint selection since I live in the Southern U.S. (Roll Tide!) and because trail pinstripes look better on lighter than darker colors. I'm enamored, however, with the idea of wrapping the vehicle with a custom color or at least some form of additional paint protection like clear Xpel Armor or Avery Denison Combat Green Rugged Wrap to further protect against pinstriping, rock chips, etc., but if I want to go with a color wrap, @ADVAW8S helpfully educated me that I should go with the Inky Black color for the Grenadier, because that would ensure the raised door hinges and the door sills, etc. are black. Otherwise, I would need to get those painted to make everything look clean. Totally makes sense, and I appreciate his guidance. If I went with black, I would need to decide whether to keep the roof black or incur the additional cost of a contrasting white roof.

Then, I get turned around by the fact that my Grenadier will be parked outside 24/7, which I understand is a death knell for the longevity of wraps. I also don't fancy the idea of dropping what could be several thousand dollars for a wrap every 3-4 years.

Anyone else internally debating this? Do you have past experience (good or bad) with wraps designed to prevent trail damage? What do you recommend for Grenadiers that will be driven hard on narrow trails. I welcome your thoughts!

This is what is possible with a clean wrap of an Inky Black Grenadier (if anyone can guess the wrap, go for it!):

Screenshot_20230524_210729.jpg

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:52 PM
Reaction score
Planning to wrap as well, primarily for pinstripe protection against the branch drags on narrow trails. My older jeep has plenty of drag marks but the thought of committing a newer and more expensive, and much wider, vehicle to that so soon doesn't sit well.

I've opted for Scottish White paint knowing that I like the color ("stormtrooper'd" as they call the white/black) and that it's the no cost option that will be wrapped anyway. I'm not concerned with the hinges; I've seen some incredible vinyl wrap work with no issues at complex joints.

Leaning towards matte fighter jet grey and putting my dog's name under her door's window 🤣

Makers52129

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Please bear with me while I waffle during this 30 day U.S. order window. Perhaps I'm not alone. I have been leaning Scottish White on my paint selection since I live in the Southern U.S. (Roll Tide!) and because trail pinstripes look better on lighter than darker colors. I'm enamored, however, with the idea of wrapping the vehicle with a custom color or at least some form of additional paint protection like clear Xpel Armor or Avery Denison Combat Green Rugged Wrap to further protect against pinstriping, rock chips, etc., but if I want to go with a color wrap, @ADVAW8S helpfully educated me that I should go with the Inky Black color for the Grenadier, because that would ensure the raised door hinges and the door sills, etc. are black. Otherwise, I would need to get those painted to make everything look clean. Totally makes sense, and I appreciate his guidance. If I went with black, I would need to decide whether to keep the roof black or incur the additional cost of a contrasting white roof.

Then, I get turned around by the fact that my Grenadier will be parked outside 24/7, which I understand is a death knell for the longevity of wraps. I also don't fancy the idea of dropping what could be several thousand dollars for a wrap every 3-4 years.

Anyone else internally debating this? Do you have past experience (good or bad) with wraps designed to prevent trail damage? What do you recommend for Grenadiers that will be driven hard on narrow trails. I welcome your thoughts!

This is what is possible with a clean wrap of an Inky Black Grenadier (if anyone can guess the wrap, go for it!):

View attachment 7814244
Love this! I may have consider wrapping mine when it comes in sometime next year???

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me on the benefits of "wrapping" a vehicle as I cannot think of any other than a color change. Would bare metal be better protected by paint or by wrap? How much does it cost to wrap a vehicle the size of a Grenadier?
I have only wrapped one thing in my life (at my wife instance of course) and it did not look pretty. :)

sne

Local time
10:52 PM
Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me on the benefits of "wrapping" a vehicle as I cannot think of any other than a color change. Would bare metal be better protected by paint or by wrap? How much does it cost to wrap a vehicle the size of a Grenadier?
I have only wrapped one thing in my life (at my wife instance of course) and it did not look pretty. :)
I have wrapped the bonnet / hood of my VW T6.1 with a thicker transparent film to protect against road stone chipping (translated verbally). There are some products for that, for mine they used a 3M Film. The lower body is wrapped just for aesthetic reasons in color (burgundy contrasting remaining white upper body). I like it a lot. Costs were 1.200€ in 2020, I think that was a fair price, the film / foil is about half of that for half the van, I suppose comparable to the Grenadier in Surface.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:52 AM
Reaction score
If you don't mind spending money and realise it doesn't last forever , it's an option.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Aside from the custom color benefit, I think the main benefit, as mentioned, is increased protection against paint damage. I see the most potential value in wrapping the front and sides. I foresee lots of trail kisses in the future from branches.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:52 AM
Reaction score
I'm going clear PPF as it will be used for its intended purpose and that means its going bush. After spending $7k on respraying my current vehicle to take out the "bush pinstripes " wrapping is a logical choice

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would in theory like to clear wrap mine to protect it from bush damage. But for a vehicle this size it’s about $8k AUD if they have a template available for the vehicle and about $12k if they don’t, and they don’t. So I am doing a self healing ceramic coating for about $1800 it won’t give the same amount of protection but will help.

Mumblepants

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would in theory like to clear wrap mine to protect it from bush damage. But for a vehicle this size it’s about $8k AUD if they have a template available for the vehicle and about $12k if they don’t, and they don’t. So I am doing a self healing ceramic coating for about $1800 it won’t give the same amount of protection but will help.
this fella does Ceramic paint protection in SA. Not sure how much or even if it’s money well spent.

where was your quote from?

View: https://youtu.be/uPa0RMRV_YQ

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm sure with time and patience you could cut your own pieces and do the job yourself. The Grenadier is flat sided so a lot easier to apply the film. Might be some wastage due to trial and error though!

Mumblepants

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm sure with time and patience you could cut your own pieces and do the job yourself. The Grenadier is flat sided so a lot easier to apply the film. Might be some wastage due to trial and error though!
I’m pretty handy with a can of Plastidip.. 😂

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom