The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Are you considering or have you wrapped your Grenadier? If so, with what and why?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:39 AM
Reaction score
I'm sure with time and patience you could cut your own pieces and do the job yourself. The Grenadier is flat sided so a lot easier to apply the film. Might be some wastage due to trial and error though!
Yeah, nah, there are some things I am good at, I know from experience this kind of fiddly work where precision and accuracy and so on are critical to a good result is not my forte.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, nah, there are some things I am good at, I know from experience this kind of fiddly work where precision and accuracy and so on are critical to a good result is not my forte.

I have an idea that involves using a 3D model of the vehicle and large format printing to create templates for such pieces. I need an accurate 3D model however!

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:39 PM
Reaction score
Here's a pretty good video showing the benefits of a clear PPF protection: PPF Torture Test

At present, I'm thinking of going with Scottish White and wrapping the front and sides with with a clear protective wrap - something like Xpel's Armor wrap. I'm also thnking about blacking out the center part of the hood with something like Avery Dennison's rugged wrap or maybe something more durable and longer lasting like Line-X, but I would likely only do that after evaluating whether blacking it out is really necessry to reduce sun glare and/or glare from roof mounted lights. I also would likely add some sort of protection to the door sills, since it looks like they are not too well protected.

My biggest reservations are (1) cost, (2) the useful life of the product when exposed to sun as much as mine will be (probably outside 24/7), and (3) the potential damage to the underlying paint if it is not removed and replaced every X years.

At some price point, I might just have to convince myself that pinstripes add character and cred? 🤪

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:39 AM
Reaction score
I would in theory like to clear wrap mine to protect it from bush damage. But for a vehicle this size it’s about $8k AUD if they have a template available for the vehicle and about $12k if they don’t, and they don’t. So I am doing a self healing ceramic coating for about $1800 it won’t give the same amount of protection but will help.
I'm only doing the doors/guards/pillars so cost would be less. Im not convinced that any ceramic coating will stop bush pinstripes, my neighbour at work supplies the coatings and says for bush work PPF is the only way.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm only doing the doors/guards/pillars so cost would be less. Im not convinced that any ceramic coating will stop bush pinstripes, my neighbour at work supplies the coatings and says for bush work PPF is the only way.

Is there a product/provider worth a look?

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
I’ve had quite a bit of experience with wraps and different ceramic coatings. In last ten years, the products have matured quite a bit. If you’re talking about color change wraps, you need to differentiate between the less protective but vast color options and even printable, vinyl. Vinyl is more of a cosmetic application. Used for advertising, branding, and color change. The other wrap products are somewhat different in their chemical and physical properties. There are several proprietary Paint Protection Films ;
(PPF) available now. From UV protection, to “self-healing”, to heavy gauge thicknesses. The main point of PPF is as a sacrificial layer over the clear coat and paint. Small insults like road gravel or a bird droppings or a tree branch are absorbed by the PPF. Left out in the sun/heat, those small damages have some degree of leveling back out. Is that a real quality? Probably to a small degree, if the damage is small. A good film installed by an experienced installer should add a few years to the car’s finish. It’s still quite expensive. There are kits that an installer can order from the film manufacturer which are cut to exactly fit a car model’s panels. This reduces waste and complexity of install. A new model won’t have the “plotting” done yet, and will increase the price. As mentioned in this thread; most owners will have leading and exposed edges covered and leave less vulnerable areas unprotected. Obviously if you’re doing a color change or finish (matte) you’ll be doing every surface which means more film and more work. I’ve done both. It’s held up well on all of my cars. The oldest is seven years old with no visible failures.
Now a couple caveats to be aware of: I’ve heard that the film can result in pulling and fracturing of your clear coat if and when the film needs to be peeled off. Perhaps the original paint might suffer a little under the PPF. I don’t have an opinion on that yet, but it seems plausible.
Ceramic coatings are more like semi permanent wax. They are hydrophobic (repel water) and can give a very slick/shiny finish. They definitely make washing the car easier and with better results, however; they are a temporary product. They’ll have to be repeated at some point to keep the barrier there.
A full PPF, using top quality film, on a unique car (Grenadier) could run $5-8k. A partial application at vulnerable areas would be more in the $2-4k range. Ceramic coatings vary wildly and widely. Most important part is the prep work and experience of the person applying it. I’ve paid as little as $700 for a basic coating and paint correction to as high as $3k for a multiple coating (including glass, wheels) application.
Best advice would be, go see a few vehicles in person that have these treatments. If you decide to do it: get it done as soon as possible after purchase. Before you have rock chips, bird etchings, and scratches.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Is there a product/provider worth a look?
There is, Xpel make a great PPF which is clear and they say is self healing. From all reports it's the best around.

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I wrote that long post and failed to mention my plan. I’ve ordered magic mushroom with contrast black roof and fender plates. I liked the prototype vehicles with the rear door contrast color and the nose dipped in paint look.
I think I’ll go with a “stealth” wrap to give a matte finish overall, but have a few ideas for “ghosting” some decals and branding under the stealth wrap.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wrote that long post and failed to mention my plan. I’ve ordered magic mushroom with contrast black roof and fender plates. I liked the prototype vehicles with the rear door contrast color and the nose dipped in paint look.
I think I’ll go with a “stealth” wrap to give a matte finish overall, but have a few ideas for “ghosting” some decals and branding under the stealth wrap.
Nice, what colour were you thinking?

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
The ghost thing is pretty cool. Maybe some camo pattern under the final matte wrap. So you just notice a subtle pattern/hue but not a color. I think I’ll stick with a black back door and hood/bonnet. I’m on the lookout for someone redesigning the front grill. It needs a little more attitude than stock.
So think desert tan frozen camo with storm trooper ish contrast elements. What am I? Fourteen?!

Regalz

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
11:39 AM
Reaction score
The ghost thing is pretty cool. Maybe some camo pattern under the final matte wrap. So you just notice a subtle pattern/hue but not a color. I think I’ll stick with a black back door and hood/bonnet. I’m on the lookout for someone redesigning the front grill. It needs a little more attitude than stock.
So think desert tan frozen camo with storm trooper ish contrast elements. What am I? Fourteen?!
I believe Black Sheepish working on a grill redesign

Reactions: DDG

RobS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve ordered magic mushroom with contrast black roof and fender plates.
Ordered the same. I also like the black contrast door panel and planned on wrapping it in vinyl since it wasn’t a build option .

Love your ghost camo idea. Can’t wait to see pictures of it. And thanks for your comprehensive take on wraps and coatings.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:39 PM
Reaction score
Just got a quote from a Sussex firm for 3M black wrap for bonnet plus rear ladder door - approx £950 + VAT subject to seeing the car.
Think I will have both wrapped to match the IB roof and should look good with SG body paint.

No idea if £950 is competitive yet.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:39 PM
Reaction score
Just got a quote from a Sussex firm for 3M black wrap for bonnet plus rear ladder door - approx £950 + VAT subject to seeing the car.
Think I will have both wrapped to match the IB roof and should look good with SG body paint.

No idea if £950 is competitive yet.
We all look forward to pics!

Back
Top Bottom