The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Are you considering or have you wrapped your Grenadier? If so, with what and why?

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
3:26 PM
Reaction score
I bought some of the Pushbike helicopter tape and wrapped both front sills this morning. Not perfect but will do until I get it done professionally.

View attachment 7815594
Smart move. This will certainly protect the surface for as long as it takes to come up with a more elegant solution. Seems to me that a set of nice sills shouldn’t be that hard for someone to make.
I wish I knew how to program and use a CNC mill. That might make a great retirement side-gig

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:26 PM
Reaction score
this fella does Ceramic paint protection in SA. Not sure how much or even if it’s money well spent.

where was your quote from?

View: https://youtu.be/uPa0RMRV_YQ
Yes, I ceramic coated it… in Kenya 😉… ten year no nonsense warranty, with annual repairs included. Won’t protect against rock chips etc which is why I’m doing PPF on panels that will be at risk. I ceramic coated the car to protect the paint from the horror stories I’ve seen when wraps aren’t removed until it’s too late. Maybe overkill, maybe not… time will tell.

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me on the benefits of "wrapping" a vehicle as I cannot think of any other than a color change. Would bare metal be better protected by paint or by wrap? How much does it cost to wrap a vehicle the size of a Grenadier?
I have only wrapped one thing in my life (at my wife instance of course) and it did not look pretty. :)
Vinyl wraps offer minimal protection… mostly for colour changes. PPF self healing wraps are probably the best bet for off-road protection. It’s far too costly to PPF the entire vehicle so I’ve ceramic coated mine, it includes an annual touch up job for ten years, and I’m now getting PPF self healing on the fenders, doors and part of the hood. Oh, and the headlights :)

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:26 PM
Reaction score
For a “Red A”, would you recommend wrap or paint?
Yep. I think what DDG has said. Will seek advice from the wrapper as really not my forte.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:26 PM
Reaction score
I have some experience with 3M clear wrap because the previous owner of my current rig opted for it. It does an OK job at preventing scratches from trees and such, and so some kind of wrap could definitely protect a finish. The 3M stuff seems to work really good.

For a less expensive protection item, folks may want to keep an eye out for a product like this (or make your own out of sheets of the magnetic stuff). I've always been hesitant to do this because of the weight but it's cheaper than a wrap and removeable if you aren't doing the rough stuff often, but still want the option. These are essentially fridge magnet sheets, cut to the shape of doors/fenders/etc. and stuck on as needed.

76994_1_.png

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have some experience with 3M clear wrap because the previous owner of my current rig opted for it. It does an OK job at preventing scratches from trees and such, and so some kind of wrap could definitely protect a finish. The 3M stuff seems to work really good.

For a less expensive protection item, folks may want to keep an eye out for a product like this (or make your own out of sheets of the magnetic stuff). I've always been hesitant to do this because of the weight but it's cheaper than a wrap and removeable if you aren't doing the rough stuff often, but still want the option. These are essentially fridge magnet sheets, cut to the shape of doors/fenders/etc. and stuck on as needed.

View attachment 7816341
This is a decent option if you get a really high quality ABS based armour. The sheet magnet type have been known to trap dirt and dust between the panels and paint- it’s like sandpaper! Rhinohide appears to be a good option. Exploring!

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The red A would be a perfect place to use a vinyl piece. Super easy and inexpensive too.
Between the heat of the engine on the underside and the sun above, I would think that any coloring (wether paint or vinyl) applied, ‘after the fact’, to the bonnet would take a terrible beating.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:26 AM
Reaction score

View attachment 7816341
Doors on the Grenadier are alluminium.
Magnetic panels no stick
Could use the utility rails to add some protective panels on.
1686689438452.png

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:26 PM
Reaction score
Magnetic panels no stick
View attachment 7816349
Yes the utility rails present interesting options. One of the drawbacks of the magnetic panels (even if they could be used on the Grenadier) is, well, that they peel right off and are, therefore, ripe for sticky fingers. Perhaps a utility rail solution could at least involve a locking mechanism. The armor shown in the Ronny Dahl video linked above connects via a bunch of circular 3M tape mounts. So, if you take the armor off, your ride looks like it has measles.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:26 PM
Reaction score
Magnetic panels no stick
View attachment 7816349
Those rails/steps look good. What site is the pic from?

Disregard - I think I found it, BlackSheep Innovations🤙

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:26 PM
Reaction score
Flash. What tape is that?
Sorry, I meant to come back to your question but forgot.

I should said photo was from this chap ~ I don't actually know what product he used but you could ask.
Screenshot_20230613_053314.jpg

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I didn't think about the aluminum doors, thanks @DaveB for pointing that out! The magnetic strips are not an option in that situation, which leads me back to thinking that a 3M clear wrap (or something similar) is likely the best bet. Plus if you want your Gren to have that trick looking colour contrast nose like the Prototypes it looks like a wrap might be the most feasible way to do it!

Back
Top Bottom