The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Are you considering or have you wrapped your Grenadier? If so, with what and why?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:50 AM
Reaction score
That's everything except for the roof and back doors. Add another $2k for the lot
That’s about market value with a template then I’d say. Neither a good nor bad deal. It’s about the right price

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:50 PM
Reaction score
That’s about market value with a template then I’d say. Neither a good nor bad deal. It’s about the right price
I know a good friend locally here in the US that was north of $8000 (USD) for full matte PPF (Xpel I believe) on a Tesla Model X Plaid; so $8499AUD seems like a steal for a larger vehicle. That being said, he's had the car back to the installers 5-6 times for pieces that haven't adhered properly or bubbles, or for a replacement panel (it is marketed as self healing, but, in fact, hasn't)

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:50 AM
Reaction score
I know a good friend locally here in the US that was north of $8000 (USD) for full matte PPF (Xpel I believe) on a Tesla Model X Plaid; so $8499AUD seems like a steal for a larger vehicle. That being said, he's had the car back to the installers 5-6 times for pieces that haven't adhered properly or bubbles, or for a replacement panel (it is marketed as self healing, but, in fact, hasn't)
That's not good if it is Xpel, the ones I've seen have been great and quality film, quite thick compared to others.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's not good if it is Xpel, the ones I've seen have been great and quality film, quite thick compared to others.
Exactly, he's not very happy with the installers as he purchased the car ~3 months ago and it has spent about as much time at the installers shop as it has in his drive at home. Anyways, enough about a Tesla, back to the Grenadier discussion!

DrahthHunter

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Please bear with me while I waffle during this 30 day U.S. order window. Perhaps I'm not alone. I have been leaning Scottish White on my paint selection since I live in the Southern U.S. (Roll Tide!) and because trail pinstripes look better on lighter than darker colors. I'm enamored, however, with the idea of wrapping the vehicle with a custom color or at least some form of additional paint protection like clear Xpel Armor or Avery Denison Combat Green Rugged Wrap to further protect against pinstriping, rock chips, etc., but if I want to go with a color wrap, @ADVAW8S helpfully educated me that I should go with the Inky Black color for the Grenadier, because that would ensure the raised door hinges and the door sills, etc. are black. Otherwise, I would need to get those painted to make everything look clean. Totally makes sense, and I appreciate his guidance. If I went with black, I would need to decide whether to keep the roof black or incur the additional cost of a contrasting white roof.

Then, I get turned around by the fact that my Grenadier will be parked outside 24/7, which I understand is a death knell for the longevity of wraps. I also don't fancy the idea of dropping what could be several thousand dollars for a wrap every 3-4 years.

Anyone else internally debating this? Do you have past experience (good or bad) with wraps designed to prevent trail damage? What do you recommend for Grenadiers that will be driven hard on narrow trails. I welcome your thoughts!

This is what is possible with a clean wrap of an Inky Black Grenadier (if anyone can guess the wrap, go for it!):

View attachment 7814244
I ordered the queens red may add some yellow to it Geaux Tigers but I not crazy about the color I waffling so I will diy wrap mine it’s a pre straight forward not a lot of accessories to remove sorry about Texas last night.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone had the Bushwrapz film applied yet?
I'm interested, but a bit wary of a DIY application. Local quote is around $900 for cleaning prep and application.
They say 5 hours labour.

Mumblepants

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone had the Bushwrapz film applied yet?
I'm interested, but a bit wary of a DIY application. Local quote is around $900 for cleaning prep and application.
They say 5 hours labour.
I think it depends on what you’re looking for. I’m not sure how much the US version differs from your services but the website basically says the PPF is for the sides only. The cheapest version only has a 1yr warranty and precut (I.e. not wrapped edges).

Depending on if you’re only looking for off-road / pinstripe protection, that might be all you need but for daily driver and/or on-road trips, much of your paint damage is going to be the front leading edge, hood, front fenders, A-pillar, and the painted area above your windshield.

Either way, I think 5hrs for prep and install is really fast.…fast not in a good way. My ‘17 Raptor wrapped brand new (not a lot of paint correction/repair needed) took almost 3 days. Wrap coverage was full front, hood, doors, and roof but stopped at the bed. It also cost @$5-6K Expel IIRC.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Still have that truck? What’s that PPF like now, some 5+ years later?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Either way, I think 5hrs for prep and install is really fast.…fast not in a good way. My ‘17 Raptor wrapped brand new (not a lot of paint correction/repair needed) took almost 3 days. Wrap coverage was full front, hood, doors, and roof but stopped at the bed. It also cost @$5-6K Expel IIRC.
I know the shop that does my window tint also does PPF (Llumar) and for a vehicle Grenadier sized they would want the vehicle for an absolute minimum of 3 days, and, as @Jiman01 said, starts at $5k-ish and goes up from there

Edit: Personally, for $5-6k, you're approaching the price for a well done repaint, and over the cost of a full vehicle color change wrap; I'll take my chances with a $700-900 paint correction prior to resale :p

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I traded it for the ND 110 Dec2022. It was still good. No yellowing, or peeling at all. I usually hand washed but would also go through ”touchless” automated car washes also. The PPF never showed any negative affects from the automatic car washes.

The only thing that happens unless you’re super anal about keeping every bit clean is that dirt will eventually creep into the exposed edges over time. Since my edges were wrapped it wasn’t something obvious unless you opened the doors/hood but they do eventually collect grime. i suppose how obvious it looks would depend on the body color. Mine was Avalanche gray, which looks like an off white, so a dirty edge sticks out more I suppose.

I would definitely do it again for the Grenadier, but only the front and sides. I don’t think the roof or rear door area needs it…although adding PPF on painted areas where the ladder is might be a good idea.

I‘ve done some simple applications myself and I think the IG would be very doable because most of the panels are flat.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I think it depends on what you’re looking for. I’m not sure how much the US version differs from your services but the website basically says the PPF is for the sides only. The cheapest version only has a 1yr warranty and precut (I.e. not wrapped edges).

Depending on if you’re only looking for off-road / pinstripe protection, that might be all you need but for daily driver and/or on-road trips, much of your paint damage is going to be the front leading edge, hood, front fenders, A-pillar, and the painted area above your windshield.

The car is almost new so prep should not take too long.
I'd be using the 5 year film.
https://www.bushwrapz.com.au/produc...1&_fid=c0fd16676&_ss=c&variant=44299148689630
It's not a full wrap, just to protect sides from pinstripes on narrow/rarely driven bush tracks.
In Australia (Tasmania)
Basically it's a tough membrane.
Cosmetically obviously it will age but a respray of the car will cost a lot more in years to come.
I'm not game to go the DIY approach even though the company say it's possible.
I'd rather work an extra day or so and pay someone to do it!
(PS I applied a similar film on the sill region of my '78 911 and after 12 years it''s holding up very well; I live on a dirt road too)

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Seems like a good idea... but.... I know it's not the same but I've just removed car window tint after 20 years prior to selling. Failed years ago and the rear window was the worst of a bad bunch and I stopped removing after that one window was done. Crikey, if the PPF is anything like the window tint to remove after a few years I'd cut my throat before trying to remove it from every panel. Only time will tell. 😁

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I read through his whole thread, thinking I wanted to protect my Gren's finish from off-road scratching. After seeing the cost involved, uncertain off-road lifespan, and realizing I never really wash my vehicles, I'll pass. I will rely on IA panel prep and let the vehicle wear and age as intended - scrapes, scratches and dents. I'm not selling it or preserving it for the next user.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I do like the bit on the back mini door though; that's an easy area to protect.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:50 PM
Reaction score
I read through his whole thread, thinking I wanted to protect my Gren's finish from off-road scratching. After seeing the cost involved, uncertain off-road lifespan, and realizing I never really wash my vehicles, I'll pass. I will rely on IA panel prep and let the vehicle wear and age as intended - scrapes, scratches and dents. I'm not selling it or preserving it for the next user.
that's pretty much my approach. I've wrapped the rear quarter door but not for protection.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:50 AM
Reaction score
This whole idea is so silly. Whatchya gonna do later when this crap fades, cracks, peels and discolors?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
This whole idea is so silly. Whatchya gonna do later when this crap fades, cracks, peels and discolors?
Peel it off mate.
You don't inhabit the same environment we do. Come to Australia and have a gander!

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Peel it off mate.
You don't inhabit the same environment we do. Come to Australia and have a gander!
I’ve had all of my new cars wrapped from the front bumper to the A pillars with clear xpel wrap. Zero worry about random rock and road rash. After 48,000 miles on my Defender the front end still looks like new!

Back
Top Bottom