The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Are you considering or have you wrapped your Grenadier? If so, with what and why?

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
Yes the utility rails present interesting options. One of the drawbacks of the magnetic panels (even if they could be used on the Grenadier) is, well, that they peel right off and are, therefore, ripe for sticky fingers. Perhaps a utility rail solution could at least involve a locking mechanism. The armor shown in the Ronny Dahl video linked above connects via a bunch of circular 3M tape mounts. So, if you take the armor off, your ride looks like it has measles.
Thin diamond plating on the doors to match the fenders would look good

Local time
2:26 PM
Reaction score
Wrapping would be a great idea as it would protect the paintwork from branches and other off road "hardware" that you'd encounter

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wrapping would be a great idea as it would protect the paintwork from branches and other off road "hardware" that you'd encounter
Only if you use PPF. As others have mentioned a vinyl wrap is mostly for cosmetics.

On another note regarding magnets…if you‘ve ever attached a magnetic decal on your vehicle for a length of time, the paint underneath will fade at a different rate than the non-covered paint. Not a good look if/when you ever take it off. In an application like the Wrangler, if it’s for a weekend trail and/or rock crawl, it’s probably a good idea to avoid pin stripes. But for everyday use, I wouldn’t...even if you could on the Grenadier.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone compared the cost of ppf, with whatever pre-prep coatings and removal costs there are, with the cost of just letting the paint take some punishment, and having the car properly re-painted years later if its a problem?
No idea how pricey a quality re-spray is, but these wraps don‘t look cheap, and paint seems to be the ‘magic’ surface that’s currently the best we can do for wear, protection and looks…
love to know if anyone has experience of non-insurance paint jobs.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s a love or hate kind of thing but LineX or the DIY Raptor sprays are excellent for things you want to paint black or dark gray (LineX can color match). It makes whatever surface you paint it on practically impervious to normal trail scars and dings. It is however permanent.

Aside from the typical uses in the bed of pickup trucks, I’ve used it on fender flares and in wheel wells/liners with excellent results.

If the Grenadier sale falls through and I decide to keep the new Defender I may spray the lower facia (everything that’s black) of my Defender because I can’t stand gloss black😂

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone compared the cost of ppf, with whatever pre-prep coatings and removal costs there are, with the cost of just letting the paint take some punishment, and having the car properly re-painted years later if its a problem?
No idea how pricey a quality re-spray is, but these wraps don‘t look cheap, and paint seems to be the ‘magic’ surface that’s currently the best we can do for wear, protection and looks…
love to know if anyone has experience of non-insurance paint jobs.
I had a Troopy resprayed about 10yrs ago for 8k so you could probably double that today. The IG with its design would be more work too I think. The question is what happens when you need to replace/redo the ppf in 10yrs. How easy does it come off after being baked & weathered, will it look like shit by then.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had a Troopy resprayed about 10yrs ago for 8k so you could probably double that today. The IG with its design would be more work too I think. The question is what happens when you need to replace/redo the ppf in 10yrs. How easy does it come off after being baked & weathered, will it look like shit by then.
That’s what got me thinking. Ppf is pretty expensive, plus removal years later can be tricky/expensive, and even then the paint surface apparently can be pretty poor after youve gone to all that trouble to protect it.
still, if it’s 15-20k for a re-spray… not many will want to spend that on an older car.

personally, i like the scrub scratches on my car. They’re not too bad, and along with the minor dents they remind me of every trip and holiday I earned them on… scars of life.

Local time
Reaction score
Xpel Europe have listed their pre-cut kits online,as usual, the cost of labour for prep and installation will overshadow the product costs.

Prior to the Xpel cut libary adding a Grenadier CAD map, the local Xpel installer in Far North Queensland who has an outstanding reputation estimated he would be retailing a full PPF install at around AUS$5000, using a clear gloss film as he has with a few hundred Landrover 90/110/130's over the last 10 years. Notably he also mentioned installing the Armour pro film to high wear / impact areas would be around double the product cost for the film but the same for labour. When asked about matt film , he emphasised that the matt product does not have the same healing surface properties as the gloss film and consequently was at risk of showing 'glossy scars' where the matt texturing was buffed by contact with the world.

By comparison with repainting a matt finish painted panel and matching to the high end cars it is most commonly found on, the replacement PPF is a steal.

ChaosDogg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Prior to the Xpel cut libary adding a Grenadier CAD map, the local Xpel installer in Far North Queensland who has an outstanding reputation estimated he would be retailing a full PPF install at around AUS$5000
A quote I got from a detailer in Brisbane was $12,000 for Full Vehicle Xpel Ultimate Plus, who are the guys in FNQ? At the price difference it would be worth the trip up there!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
They should offer a full raptor type coating ex factory.

Local time
Reaction score
A quote I got from a detailer in Brisbane was $12,000 for Full Vehicle Xpel Ultimate Plus, who are the guys in FNQ? At the price difference it would be worth the trip up there!
Attention to Detail, Phil and his team in Townsvile and in Cairns. https://www.attention-to-detail.com.au/
In his defence, if his current quote proves to be higher priced in reality his email response was given well before the release of the Xpel CAD drawings and there may be much more involved in the install.

In January of 2023 Phil estimated $5-6 for the lower body all around and said "Pricing honestly I wouldn't know without seeing the patterns or the vehicle up close but I would estimate in the $8,000-$9,000 range which is what we quote Defenders" for a full vehicle top to bottom.

That said, there's a lot of fun tickets/ margin between ~$5 to $9K and $12K! It sounds like your Brisbane quote might have been aimed at a 'new-to-market without precedent and it smells like a luxury AMG G-wagen-like vehicle purchaser with lots of spare money'. Definitely worth the phone call now that a CAD pattern is available. The quality of work and service from Attention to Detail that I've had, and that I've witnessed via my son in law working for Merc Benz as a spanner doing pre-delivery, is outstanding.

No conflicts of interest, just supporting a really good local business ( I'd love to have some as its a very successful business too!!)

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
BushWrapz - DIY Paint Protection Film in Brisbane are about to release prices so I believe.. offering discount via Ineos Gren Aus FB...

ChaosDogg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
BushWrapz - DIY Paint Protection Film in Brisbane are about to release prices so I believe.. offering discount via Ineos Gren Aus FB...

Yeah I'm waiting on these guys to release some prices as well before I pick either way. I know from looking at specs the Xpel Ultimate plus is 1mm thicker than the Bushwrapz offering, but I genuinely have no idea how much of a real world difference that would make, if any.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah I'm waiting on these guys to release some prices as well before I pick either way. I know from looking at specs the Xpel Ultimate plus is 1mm thicker than the Bushwrapz offering, but I genuinely have no idea how much of a real world difference that would make, if any.
I bought a set of the DIY Bushwrapz Advance for the Grenadier. I haven’t applied them yet, but they send you Grenadier specific video instructions etc.

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:26 PM
Reaction score
Expel are onto it already, this isn't a bad deal

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230827_130233_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230827_130233_Facebook.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 55

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Holy shit Batman.

That’s one hell of a price.

I assume that is a kit and would need to be fitted

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Holy shit Batman.

That’s one hell of a price.

I assume that is a kit and would need to be fitted
I think it was fitted, but I don’t think it is for whole car. Looks like doors and bonnet. Hopefully they do wings and rear flanks as well. If it is nose, bonnet and full sides. Its not a terrible deal. If it is just bonnet and doors as the graphic indicates, it is a terrible deal. If it is whole car it’s a great deal

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think it was fitted, but I don’t think it is for whole car. Looks like doors and bonnet. Hopefully they do wings and rear flanks as well. If it is nose, bonnet and full sides. Its not a terrible deal. If it is just bonnet and doors as the graphic indicates, it is a terrible deal. If it is whole car it’s a great deal
@Shaky Thats fitted, arguably the best product, they have your vehicle for 4 days 😳

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's everything except for the roof and back doors. Add another $2k for the lot

Back
Top Bottom