The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Are you considering or have you wrapped your Grenadier? If so, with what and why?

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:38 AM
Reaction score
This whole idea is so silly. Whatchya gonna do later when this crap fades, cracks, peels and discolors?
If you start with a good product, fading, orange peeling, cracking, etc…won’t happen for at least 10yrs. My reasoning for PPF vs just saving money and just repainting it when it needs it is because, PPF will protect your paint and it will look good for the next 10yrs (Assuming you still wash your car and apply wax, ceramic, etc…). After that, just peel it off. You’ll need a hair dryer or heat gun and some patience.

With paint, the best it’s ever going to look is the day you drive if off the lot. Chips, dings, bird crap etching, and scratches accumulate over time. I get that might be fine for some, but if I can keep it looking nicer than its age longer by paying a little more up front, I’m good with that.

But you do you brother, it’s all good.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:38 PM
Reaction score
If you start with a good product, fading, orange peeling, cracking, etc…won’t happen for at least 10yrs. My reasoning for PPF vs just saving money and just repainting it when it needs it is because, PPF will protect your paint and it will look good for the next 10yrs (Assuming you still wash your car and apply wax, ceramic, etc…). After that, just peel it off. You’ll need a hair dryer or heat gun and some patience.

With paint, the best it’s ever going to look is the day you drive if off the lot. Chips, dings, bird crap etching, and scratches accumulate over time. I get that might be fine for some, but if I can keep it looking nicer than its age longer by paying a little more up front, I’m good with that.

But you do you brother, it’s all good.
In 10 years time I will be 71. I certainly won't be repainting my 10 year old Ineos then. But with a PPF the years of use will have taken a lesser toll and it will still be presentable. Though at 71 I won't care how much it's "worth"but I will care how well it's maintained. As I intend to be still driving at 81..
Those who are filthy rich and/or who flip cars every 2-4 years (business use) will have a different POV.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, considered it. Learned a lot - took ages, complex market to understand.
not going to Wrap.

good ppf (australia) is really expensive. Still some uncertainty about quality of paint after removal at 10 years. (Best products are not that old, no one actually knows for sure, some people will admit it is still problematic). They are, after all the $$$$, still just a very thin layer - lots of wrong advertising by the way.

paint is very strong. Its the best surface we have to coat cars with. Offroad cars get evidence of off road use. does it lower the value? Maybe, but i dont care that much, and I dont think it does in the long term. Just sold 25 year old defender, lots of evidence of use, didnt affect value.

I’m OK with that. Buy it, use it, own it.

just my 10 cents worth, or more accurately, my 10 grand saved.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, considered it. Learned a lot - took ages, complex market to understand.
not going to Wrap.

good ppf (australia) is really expensive. Still some uncertainty about quality of paint after removal at 10 years. (Best products are not that old, no one actually knows for sure, some people will admit it is still problematic). They are, after all the $$$$, still just a very thin layer - lots of wrong advertising by the way.

paint is very strong. Its the best surface we have to coat cars with. Offroad cars get evidence of off road use. does it lower the value? Maybe, but i dont care that much, and I dont think it does in the long term. Just sold 25 year old defender, lots of evidence of use, didnt affect value.

I’m OK with that. Buy it, use it, own it.

just my 10 cents worth, or more accurately, my 10 grand saved.
Is there a price point?
2.5 grand in my case is what it would cost. Less if I DIY.
And finally , if it was a freebie , would people shy away because they were worried about it not coming off?
I get that there are very manly scratch/bash personality types here , they also probably don't wear sunscreen and hats and thus provide me with a good living via skin cancer pathology cases:cool:
Everyone's invincible - until they're not!

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is there a price point?
And finally , if it was a freebie , would people shy away because they were worried about it not coming off?
I get that there are very manly scratch/bash personality types here , they also probably don't wear sunscreen and hats and thus provide me with a good living via skin cancer pathology cases:cool:
So, my Sydney prcung research was in the 8-12K range for the best product on a 4wd, xpel i think, and perhaps a little less (2 k less maybe) for suntek. Nearly everyone I spoke to (including those with no horse in the race) said there was little value in vynyl, or lower quality wraps, for offroading purposes.
all said that the maintenance on a ppf layer is actually higher than on paint, ie you have to keep it proper clean all the time, especially of any droppings, insect debris etc. when I said I don’t like washing cars many times per year… well, there was a cultural gap. Maybe the drought decade scarred me, but there you go!

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is there a price point?
…and for completeness of your health survey, i wear a hat without fail, sunscreen or long shirts pretty consistently, my liver is spotless, waist less than half height, and machienery old and well oiled. I caress the bush gently with my car, never bash, the scratches are lovingly earned! 😂

and if it were free, Ii would have said yes, at least on sides, a pillars and front corners. Currently, Id still think about if its necessary, and would just cause more hassle. But a gift horse deserves a special, long look.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I would never wrap a whole car. Unless it was free, or I was a millionaire. And even then...

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am not familiar with wrapping a vehicle, so, what is the cost of removing the wrap and is there any damage that can occur when it is taken off?
I think the cost to do the front 1/3rd of my new Defender was in the $1,500ish range. Regarding how to maintain - I just wash my car like normal, don't go through the auto washes (which I wouldn't do either way) and it's held up fine. If anything the newer xpel wraps are 'seld-healing' and smooth out sitting in the sun.

Only reason I'd wrap an entire car would be if I were going to go with the clear matte wraps.

Last edited:
Local time
2:38 PM
Reaction score
Maybe if Rhinohide 4x4 Armor will make some for the Grenny :) that would be ideal

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe if Rhinohide 4x4 Armor will make some for the Grenny :) that would be ideal
Pretty cool setup. Not the prettiest, but I'm all for form over function.

Local time
2:38 PM
Reaction score
On my phone now so searching isn't the easiest but would a coating like Raptor not also work protects the paints and not to expensive I think.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
On my phone now so searching isn't the easiest but would a coating like Raptor not also work protects the paints and not to expensive I think.
I said a while ago if it was a factory option I'd tick that box.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Although Raptor is more/less permanent, it is easy to touch up if it’s ever needed. I had LineX on the fender flares, wheel wells, bed, lower rear quarter panels, and bumper on my Ford Raptor and they still looked the same as when new 5yrs later. Raptor is marketed as the DIY equivalent to LineX, which requires a LineX shop to spray and bake

When I got my ND, I told my wife it looked too pretty with all the gloss black and told her I was thinking about Raptor spraying all the black😂😂….she threatened to divorce me for being stupid if I went through with it, haha!!

Back
Top Bottom