The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.
Hello folks,

In our history, we have not done detailed build threads. But I feel that this vehicle warrants the effort from the team. We will most likely trim comments to items that are relevant to our build as a source for other users to get detailed information about what we do and why. Less about wheels tires, suspension etc as that is not our area of expertise. We will tell you what we did with other vendors, how and why. But we will probably not answer a lot of questions about those areas of the build.

Thank you and we are very excited to build out our new Grenadier.

IMG_0683.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0655.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:

GooseGear

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Local time
8:43 AM
Reaction score
Here is the Side X Side Drawer option with the fitted top plate. This module is 41-3/8" Wide x 10" High x 34" Deep. It is available in three drawer configurations. 1/3-2/3 small drawer on the left, 50/50 equal drawer widths and 2/3-1/3 with the small drawer on the right. I prefer the 2/3-1/3 in the Grenadier.

Everyone say "Thank you" @DaBull for sending in his rear seat recline brackets. This module will accommodate up to a 50mm recline bracket thanks to DaBull sending me his brackets for testing.

The fitted top plate option is only available in the 10" module height.

We have another item in development which will not be compatible with the fitted top plate drawer. So, if you would like more storage above the wheel wells and into the rear window cavities, you will want to order the standard rectangular top plate and not the fitted top plate version.

We are also working on a lower profile Side X Side Module that will be approximately the same height of the seat backs when they are folded down. This has been requested by several people. But...the sleeping area, if that is your goal. Is very short, I mean very short with the seat bottoms in the upright position. You can remove the seat bottoms as they are only held on with 2 or 3 screws for the 40% or 60% seat respectively. But...(there are a lot of "buts)" for this rig. The but this time, is that the seat bottoms are fastened to the tubular steel bar under the seat and it is not, absolutely not, something you want to take on and off more than a few times. The fasteners in the bottom of the seats are a metal insert that is threaded into soft plastic. Two of ours are already stripping out after just a few times being removed and reinstalled. I do not see an easy fix for this yet.

In the photo below, we have the seat recline brackets installed on the 40% seat for visual reference.

As with all of our systems, we build all of our Module products on the foundation that is our Plate System™. The Goose Gear Plate System™ is required for this module to be securely fastened to the vehicle as well as to get the elevation of the top plate correct.

Small IMG_1193.jpg
Small IMG_1204.jpg
Small IMG_1208.jpg

GooseGear

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
Question for @GooseGear

Does the rear seat delete and the installation of the full plate system (i.e. the totally flat floor behind the two front seats) prevent the front seats from tilting back at all, or do they have full range of motion?

EDIT: Just saw some more photos - it is clear that the seats will go back all the way. No need to reply - thanks!
We put the front seats full back and all the way down when we designed the second row delete. ;)

Local time
11:43 AM
Reaction score
Without derailing Brian's thread here; the Grenadier wasn't designed for crawling, or, for that matter, ridiculous obstacles in general. It is a expedition/travel style vehicle, and for that use, especially in the overall global travel circles, you won't find most vehicles of this size on 35s or larger (ignoring the Icelandic agent putting 37s on these). My view on the "theory" is to make a vehicle that is capable, and if something like a tire gets destroyed in the middle of no where, you can easily find a replacement in the proper size. I understand that plenty of us will be moving to larger tires, increased ride height, etc; but as with most other vehicles, you're moving outside the design parameters, and have to expect that other problems will be created because of it.

If you want a midsize vehicle that swallows 37s without blinking an eye, a Jeep is definitely right for you. If you want to travel in (relative) comfort across thousands of miles of mixed terrain, then perhaps the Grenadier is a better fit
That all having been said, due to BTC demands, and just plain 'ol better engineering, wheels have gotten 2-3 inches bigger to accommodate the larger and larger brake systems. To maintain the requisite SIDEWALL of a 33 on a 15 or 16, the tire now needs to be a 34-35. 35's are just much much more common today, and not making the wheel wells 35 capable was yet another "newbie" designer miss. 25 years ago the ROW 3rd world tire was a 750-16. Most of the people reading this today couldn't even tell me what the nominal diameter of that is. Things change. Also look at the dry weight of the truck on that tire. This isnt a series three. Aired down, the 35's will shrug off sharp rocky trails that will eat 33's right up. I think It was Harald Peishmann that pointed out me, the difference between 33's and 35's, was he never lost a 35. He's spent the last 50 years taversing lost trails in Baja.

Personally, running the exact same trial in a 1" lifted lx470, I've lost 3 33's and no 35's. On the road 1" raduis and 8 pounds unsprung addition couldnt much be felt.

Local time
Reaction score
I will mention it and see what they say. It will be interesting to see if it will block too much of the radiator. But they’re the experts, so I will just ask.
I just think it will stick too far out to clear the grill, and having them on two classic trucks, they aren't worth the weight penalty unless you plan on a twin motor conversion. I do love the spool size, though.

Local time
4:43 PM
Reaction score
Without derailing Brian's thread here; the Grenadier wasn't designed for crawling, or, for that matter, ridiculous obstacles in general. It is a expedition/travel style vehicle, and for that use, especially in the overall global travel circles, you won't find most vehicles of this size on 35s or larger (ignoring the Icelandic agent putting 37s on these). My view on the "theory" is to make a vehicle that is capable, and if something like a tire gets destroyed in the middle of no where, you can easily find a replacement in the proper size. I understand that plenty of us will be moving to larger tires, increased ride height, etc; but as with most other vehicles, you're moving outside the design parameters, and have to expect that other problems will be created because of it.

If you want a midsize vehicle that swallows 37s without blinking an eye, a Jeep is definitely right for you. If you want to travel in (relative) comfort across thousands of miles of mixed terrain, then perhaps the Grenadier is a better fit

I get what you are saying, and I agree. But here comes a long post in which I want to add some nuance to the discussion.

The Jeep Wrangler JL - especially in Rubicon trim - was designed for rock crawling and for technical terrain. The Rubicon comes standard on 33-inch tires, with lockers front and rear, a disconnecting front sway bar, and a 4:1 low range. You can fit 35-inch tires with no other modifications. In addition, you can order a Rubicon with a 2-inch lift and 35-inch tires from the factory, and that will come with the gears of your choice (4.56 or 4.88) to compensate for the larger tires. Lastly, all JL Wranglers come with relatively long control arms, so that a lift and larger tires will not ruin the suspension geometry.

By comparison, the Grenadier - as a rock crawler - comes up short. To be clear, I am specifically comparing the two vehicles in regard to rock crawling / technical driving. I am not talking about payload, towing, or other aspects of an overland vehicle. When it comes to payload, towing, and strength of frame and some other components, the Grenadier has the Wrangler beat by quite a wide margin.

These two aspects of off-road driving (proficiency in technical terrain vs higher payload & towing capacity) are pretty much opposed, with gains in one area coming at a cost to performance in the other area. For example: (1) more flex usually means softer springs and lower payload & towing, (2) a lower transfer case ratio means better control in the rocks and steep climbs/descents but at the cost of a more widely applicable low-range for other off road conditions.

So yes - you are absolutely right to think about the Grenadier as an overlander, and not a rock crawler.

But it seems like Ineos wants to draw-in the rock crawling crowd with its advertising (see below, from page 17 of the U.S. brochure). When you look at the photo, read the header ("Rock Sliding"), and then read the text, one might be forgiven for expecting a little more readiness for rocks and technical terrain.

Rock_Sliding.png

Its advertising, I get it. EDIT: But its more than just advertising. The Gren has many of the off-road hardware that rock crawlers look for: solid axles, recirculating ball steering, locking diffs, rock sliders from the factory.

But were there design choices that could have been made that would have prepared the Grenadier for more technical terrain without detracting from its ability as an overlander? I would argue "yes".

First, they could have made the control arms longer. This would not detract from any of the Grenadier's current strengths, but it would make moving to a taller tire much easier. It sure sounds like a lot of owners are interested in going to a taller tire, and for many, a suspension lift to accommodate the taller tire. Longer control arms would make it much easier to maintain good on-road driving dynamics, and they would also facilitate articulation off road.

Second, they could have asked Carraro to produce an alternate gear set - purely as an aftermarket option for those owners who are interested. Ideally, these would come installed from the factory, but let's ignore that option, since the Grenadier is a relatively low-volume vehicle, and this would add to production costs. All Ineos would have to do is advertise the alternate gears as an aftermarket option - perhaps with a link to Carraro or some retail outlet. Can you run larger tires on the Grenadier without re-gearing? Of course you can. Would it be better to re-gear for a 35-inch tire? Of course it would.

Suggestions 1 and 2 have absolutely no negative impact on any of the Grenadier's current strengths. The vehicle would still be sold on 31.6-inch tires (easier to replace internationally), with 4:10 gears (the right choice for the stock tire size), and at the stock suspension height. In other words, these suggestions have a big upside, with no downside.

Third - and this would impact the current version of the Grenadier - I think a slightly lower low-range would be a better fit for the vehicle. Maybe 3:1 instead of the current 2.5:1? For my use, I'd love to see it as low as 4:1, but I understand that many folk do not want it that low. But 2.5:1 is not low enough to provide sufficient engine braking on what most off-road rating systems describe as "moderate" descents. If you don't want to ride the brakes, you will have to use Hill Descent Control - which is a computer-controlled aid. The design-goal of the Grenadier was to build a more mechanical and less electronic vehicle, so I don't see that as a solution that fits with the design ethos of the vehicle.

In the spirit of improving the vehicle, not subjecting it - or anyone at Ineos - to unfair criticism.

Last edited:

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey @GooseGear. Could you ballpark the weight for the drawer system with the base and top plates? Also any more details for the "in development" option for more storage? Thanks!

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
Goose Gear's home page for the Grenadier has been updated with the new offerings Brian highlighted above along with more: GG Grenadier Home Page. Still waiting on the payoff of the teaser of the rear side storage though. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

GooseGear

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
Hey @GooseGear. Could you ballpark the weight for the drawer system with the base and top plates? Also any more details for the "in development" option for more storage? Thanks!
As they are still in development, I cannot release any further details. Just that they will work WITH our drawer systems and other fridge storage options like our IceBox and CampKitchen

GooseGear

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
That all having been said, due to BTC demands, and just plain 'ol better engineering, wheels have gotten 2-3 inches bigger to accommodate the larger and larger brake systems. To maintain the requisite SIDEWALL of a 33 on a 15 or 16, the tire now needs to be a 34-35. 35's are just much much more common today, and not making the wheel wells 35 capable was yet another "newbie" designer miss. 25 years ago the ROW 3rd world tire was a 750-16. Most of the people reading this today couldn't even tell me what the nominal diameter of that is. Things change. Also look at the dry weight of the truck on that tire. This isnt a series three. Aired down, the 35's will shrug off sharp rocky trails that will eat 33's right up. I think It was Harald Peishmann that pointed out me, the difference between 33's and 35's, was he never lost a 35. He's spent the last 50 years taversing lost trails in Baja.

Personally, running the exact same trial in a 1" lifted lx470, I've lost 3 33's and no 35's. On the road 1" raduis and 8 pounds unsprung addition couldnt much be felt.
I too am a fan of 35” tires and will most likely move up to them in the future when the rest of the aftermarket suspension people catch up.

Local time
Reaction score
I too am a fan of 35” tires and will most likely move up to them in the future when the rest of the aftermarket suspension people catch up.
One needs to run at least the tire the locals run, as those are the depth of the ruts. With so many people moving to 37s and up, I don't see a future for 33's on rigs over 100" in wheelbase.

GooseGear

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
Hey @GooseGear any plans on making a Grenadier tailgate table? I have one of yours on my Jeep 392 and love that thing, and would also like one for my Grenadier.
Absolutely it is in the works and prototypes have been cut already. Due to the limited depth of the Grenadier storage area, we had to make it particularly shallow to fit the CampKitchen and Drawer Modules.

Local time
Reaction score
Can that board be flipped over? No offense to the logo and I'm trying to helpful and not critical, but for sanitary purpose the juice groove has to be wider without sharp edges, an the logo is a no no. way too hard to clean with raw product.

Other than that, whats the $? I like that better than what I ordered.

GooseGear

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
Can that board be flipped over? No offense to the logo and I'm trying to helpful and not critical, but for sanitary purpose the juice groove has to be wider without sharp edges, an the logo is a no no. way too hard to clean with raw product.

Other than that, whats the $? I like that better than what I ordered.
Your points are all extremely valid. The new table will have a radius blood groove. The logo will be laser etched into an area beyond the blood groove. It will also be reversible as well. The cost is TBD. But expect it to be similarly priced to our Jeep tables at $550 or less.

Back
Top Bottom