The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

First oil change

Grapa

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:54 AM
Reaction score
How many miles to do the first oil change? The manual says at 12.000…. It seems a little to far for me. Usually, my other cars (land cruiser 200, G wagen) had a break in period and oil change at 1.000 miles. Thanks

Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
Different manufacturers have different recommendations. I recall buying a new car a while back and I talked to the service guys, and told them I was going to change the oil after 500 or maybe 750 miles, to eliminate any metal shavings from the engine in those first few hundred miles. They told me that (1) newer engines don't drop shavings the way older ones did, and (2) the oil installed from the factory is a different blend - specifically designed for the first few thousand miles, and that I should wait until at least 2,000 miles before draining it. I don't know if that was true, but I waited until 2k. It would be nice if there were a bunch of Ineos-trained Grenadier techs available. In the mean time, I'd talk to some BMW techs and see what they recommend. In any case, no way I wait 12,000 miles.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This oil was changed at 14k km and still looks good. The vehicle has been fully loaded for most of that distance and plenty of offroad. Petrol model 👍🏼

Attachments

• 41c981e4-7a3b-4190-b3b1-7fb2ef75d4bb.jpeg
    41c981e4-7a3b-4190-b3b1-7fb2ef75d4bb.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 89

AMD66

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m changing mine next weeK, I will have just over 4000 miles on it.
The next change will be at 12,000 or 1st Service. I will then drop the oil every 6,000 miles.

Skiprat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m changing mine next weeK, I will have just over 4000 miles on it.
The next change will be at 12,000 or 1st Service. I will then drop the oil every 6,000 miles.
Will you change it yourself or have it done at the dealer?

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:54 AM
Reaction score
For my spec, the dealer has set it at every 7500km. Did the first at 7500 and will continue every 7500.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All Road Carlisle are doing it .
How close are you to them, I'm only 35 miles 40 minutes away. They have been great to deal with.

AMD66

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How close are you to them, I'm only 35 miles 40 minutes away. They have been great to deal with.
I’m on Tyneside, I have bought all my Land rovers from Lloyd Carlisle and have used them for repair / servicing. The move to Grenadier at Carlisle was a no brainer, excellent workshop and staff spot on.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:54 PM
Reaction score
INEOS Australia put this out a few days ago (just convert kilometers to miles)

INEOS AU recommend servicing your Grenadier every 15,000km or 12 months, whichever comes first. If you’re doing a lot of off-road driving and/or towing you should consider an interim 7,500km or six-month service.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The INEOS oil change recommendation will come from BMW. BMW are well known for long service intervals. The long interval issue seems to be a regular topic of discussion on BMW forums, based on the limited research I did on the B57/B58 motor.

Local time
9:54 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys. I know there will be an uproar: All these unnecessary oil changes! It`s just a big waste of money, resources!!!

Produktion of engines, gearboxes etc. is since many decades excellent. The tolerances are minimal. There is nearly no wear off in a new engine! And don`t forget: There is an oil filter which eliminates all small parts in the oil! And of course: modern Motor Oils are ways better than in older days. They last much longer, their greasing abilities are much better than in the old days! That`s why most manufacturers say: oil change after 30-50000km.
Up to now I have had 25 vehicles, 5 at the moment. I am doing the maintenance myself since nearly 50 years, never had any problems! Before I became a doctor- I had to wait 5,5 years to start studying medicine- I got a training as an automechanic (VW, Audi a.Porsche).

My Lotus/Opel Speedster Turbo get`s oil change every 50000km. From 2008-2018 it took me 10 years to get the 50k km. I have the car since 19 years now.
My VW Lupo 3l TDI get´s oil change every 50k km instead of every 15k km ( that`s what VW recommends). I bought it new in 2000 and it has now 400k km without any engine problems!
My LR Defender SW 110, My 2015, has now ca. 89k km, mostly sleeping in it`s garage, has got 2 oil changes up to now. It has been to Iceland( 4 Weeks), twice 9 months to southern Africa( ca. 70k km). There were no problems.
My Opel Astra Caravan 1.7 CDRI from 2008, now 148k km get`s oil change every 50k km, there were never problems.
My little campervan: Ford Transit Nugget, new from 2013, has now nearly 200k km, gets oil change every 30-50k km. It was in 2016/17 1 year, 56k km, in North- and Central Amerika. There are no problems with the engine.

I drive my cars always carefully, especially when cold, no high revs, listening to the sound of the engine( when it sounds stressed, or is unwilling to accelerate I switch gears). I never killed an engine or a gearbox. My clutches last at 400k km or more.

Your problem is: You got teached/drilled/advertised to change the oil . New oil is always better. You want to do your beloved car something good.Many cars get more love than the own wife.
Many recommendations by the carmakers are wrong: Land Rover for example tells you : you have to do maintenance every year, even if the car is standing in the garage sleeping 1-2 years, otherwise you are losing your guaranty. My Defender with 10k km on the clock was over 2,5 years in my garage. There was no maintenance. I took it out, checked it, no oil change and went 9 months to southern Africa without any problems(38k km).
Another example: If you go for maintenance to car dealer, they would change your batteries of your remote control( central locking) every 2 years. I still have the same batteries in the remote control of my Lotus/Speedster from 2004. I check the voltage of the batteries every year. They still have over 3 volt, no need to change them! At the dealership they would have changed them up to now 10 times!

I can not understand why Ineos recommends so many unnecessary oil changes. The engines are normal BMW engines. If you are not a race driver, if you drive carefully, you don`need so many oil changes! I know it`s good for your mind, but you are wasting a lot of oil/ money

I my opinion every 30k km under heavy conditions or every 50k km under normal conditions would be enough( and not at least every 2 years, the oil does`t get old within a few years)! That`s what I will do with my Grenadier.
Now I am awaiting the big outcry because I am swimming against the main stream. That`always outrageous!

Greetings Hans!

AMD66

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I come from the fold of working engines hard, combined with where I live, means that dropping oil every 6,000 miles has worked for me.
I have been lucky not to have had major component failure and despite strong use, the engines have needed simple maintenance only ( mostly )
I know there are many who raise issues of wasting good oil etc …… I’ll continue to use my own schedule based on 40 years experience….glad Ineos have broadly confirmed my approach 👍

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I my opinion every 30k km under heavy conditions or every 50k km under normal conditions would be enough( and not at least every 2 years, the oil does`t get old within a few years)! That`s what I will do with my Grenadier.
Now I am awaiting the big outcry because I am swimming against the main stream. That`always outrageous!

Greetings Hans!
Excellent post Hans!
Old habits die hard or not at all for the unquestioning mind.
Even with our old Porsche 911s , some people change the oil every 1500km , to the detriment of the engine. And even worse, people put modern oils in last century 928s and wonder why this leads to thrust bearing failure (= engine boat anchor) - all because they assume old engines must run better on modern oils.
Heavily used Grenadiers can of course benefit from shorter oil change intervals along with other service items. I suspect the majority won't see hard use though.
The engineers know what they are doing with recommended service intervals.
I'll join you in the minority corner :cool:;)

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What about the initial factory oil fill and break-in formulation? Any truth to this?

I have a difficult time not changing the oil after the initial 500-1000 miles. I will say that my 2003 VW Tdi Wagon was strongly recommended to run the factory oil the full 10k initial service cycle, which I begrudgingly did. That motor is still running a peak compression 258k miles later.

So, old habits vs. follow the new guidelines..?

Back
Top Bottom