The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Disappointing Day

FlyingTrotter

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:57 PM
Reaction score
As some of you are aware I followed the developments from the early announcement and went on one of the prototype test days - I was initially unconvinced by the infra structure behind IA and so went in a JLR direction but returned to the fold in May and placed an order for a Fieldmaster

Today was the first opportunity to drive a petrol version of the Fieldmaster on BRG tyres on road at my agent

I was sensitive to the issues that have been the focus of most attention here and on the main reviews.

- steering - quirky but not a deal breaker
- footrest - a bit awkward certainly but not of itself a deal breaker
- steering wheel - I like the feel in the hand but the infotainment buttons are too big and close to the edge and I was inadvertently activating buttons - maybe that’s something I could adapt to but I didn’t like it
- build quality - impressive
- overall feel in the drivers seat - excellent
- rear visibility on the move - pretty good as I had prepared for far worse and could see above the rear wheel and the view with the split doors was fine

so why the heading to this thread ? Sadly the sway of the vehicle in normal road use was really challenging for me - I got motion sickness and felt awful on a 45 min drive - I’m sure this is down to me and the rest of you are fine with the way the vehicle travels over normal road imperfections but I was in a mess after a relatively short trip on the M4 and A4 and other major and minor roads. When in the prototype off road and on a short estate road I found it fine but today was sadly not for me. I had expected the big BFG tyres to be “floaty” but bump absorbing but they were not

the other issue is the turning circle - I don’t get to reflect on this to any degree as the motion sickness is likely to be a deal breaker but the turning circle would have needed some serious thought - even on shoots on Exmoor or Snowdonia turning into and out of farm gates onto busy roads is a constant issue and I am not sure it would have been good in that environment - parking back at the agents was quite something

I am really disappointed as I was very excited about the whole IA project and in many ways I am still attracted to the quirkiness and what the vehicle does well but not sure I can get beyond the ride quality and how that affects me

this is not a post to knock the vehicle - I’m sure for the vast majority of those interested in the vehicle what I have set out is not a factor - but sadly for me I suspect it is a deal breaker

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Agree with all your bullet points.

Surprised about the motion sickness, but we are all different. I don't enough experience, but allI can say is that the road manners are fantastic. The potholes and undulations on some of our Lincolnshire roads are terrible, nut the Grenadier soaks them up.

Anyway, what are you going to buy instead?

IG Pop

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:57 PM
Reaction score
I‘m afraid I’m not surprised and that my family would relate to that.
This is the reason I’m currently still struggling and would unfortunately impact purchase decision.
Do you think the one factor that leads to the sickness is the ‘boominess’? I mean a raucous steady noise coming from the sides and overhead panel. What I can’t judge is if this is related to wind noise at higher speed or due to vibrations which get transferred further up.

Local time
10:57 AM
Reaction score
pretty sure the steering goes hand in hand with the sway and turning. fix or tighten it up and it will dissipate or go away. I remember driving over steel grated bridges in the 80/90's if its close to that, it's a killer. my old rover had sway. it' felt dangerous because of it.

some have said it's a bumpy ride which is :( to me

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Once you drive the car, the steering is not an issue. Don't believe the media types. You get used to the recirculating ball setup.

I think the suspension is one of the best features.

However, we all have different views and perceptions.

IG Pop

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:57 PM
Reaction score
Steering is okay; is actually fun and has character.
Suspension I found very good and the ride is stable.
Can’t it be due to the cabin noise and lack of insulation … Flying Trotter mentioned the tires. Am really trying to understand it.
Do you find a longer ride with highway speed relaxing?

Local time
Reaction score
Steering is okay; is actually fun and has character.
Suspension I found very good and the ride is stable.
Can’t it be due to the cabin noise and lack of insulation … Flying Trotter mentioned the tires. Am really trying to understand it.
Do you find a longer ride with highway speed relaxing?

there's a lot of cabin noise too? having a noisy bumpy ride sounds like a jeep.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your experience, FlyingTrotter, but very much appreciate you sharing it. It reinforces the absolute need to test drive the vehicle on pavement before following through with a contract. I'll be hitting up my assigned dealer about that over the summer.

FlyingTrotter

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No I would not highlight cabin noise as a particular issue - the suspension and it’s impact on ride quality seems to be my personal issue - once you have a headache and feel sick it’s hard to focus on specifics

I do get sea sick but I have no issues in a race car on track with far greater G forces - I’m very frustrated and not here to knock the vehicle or the project or feed those who are already predisposed to attack the vehicle - thought long and hard about whether to post this as I know it’s against the grain of the site

Local time
7:57 AM
Reaction score
We need different perspectives and real reviews and observations.
Most reviews Ive seen are just fan boys gushing how great EVERYTHING is.
This persons perspective is much different from most others, especially the ride quality. Most reviews, even by non fan boys say its one of the highlights.
I cant wait to drive one for myself.

Local time
Reaction score
We need different perspectives and real reviews and observations.
Most reviews Ive seen are just fan boys gushing how great EVERYTHING is.
This persons perspective is much different from most others, especially the ride quality. Most reviews, even by non fan boys say its one of the highlights.
I cant wait to drive one for myself.

how can you drive one without buying it? is there anymore test drives set up in the usa? I sadly missed mine.

FlyingTrotter

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am in the UK and have a lovely supportive agent so we can - I would have bought one on the off road experience and then sadly we had today

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
No I would not highlight cabin noise as a particular issue - the suspension and it’s impact on ride quality seems to be my personal issue - once you have a headache and feel sick it’s hard to focus on specifics

I do get sea sick but I have no issues in a race car on track with far greater G forces - I’m very frustrated and not here to knock the vehicle or the project or feed those who are already predisposed to attack the vehicle - thought long and hard about whether to post this as I know it’s against the grain of the site

is this a joke?

worrying and being afraid to post constructive criticism to the minions while doing exactly that. while staying you're not doing it.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
I do get sea sick but I have no issues in a race car on track with far greater G forces -
Hi mate. I have driven many 4x4’s, Dual Cabin Utilities on the road with many off-road suspension setups. The previous two cars I owned were performance cars that were low to the ground. I then went back to driving a V6 Amarok with ATR tyres when I almost immediately felt what you described, for the first time ever. I also thought the same thing - oh no what have I done, there is no way I can live with this car. However, I increased the tyre pressures up to 40psi (recommended was 32psi) and this helped considerably, and I don’t really notice it anymore. So I think the tyre pressure and me getting conditioned to the car played a part in a 99% improvement to the motion sickness. I am one of these guys who needs travel sickness tablets if I go on a boat outside of a bay. So I would be asking the dealer if you can re drive the car again with the pressures increased.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
how can you drive one without buying it? is there anymore test drives set up in the usa? I sadly missed mine.
At my off-road drive event in April we were told that U.S. Dealers *should* have road legal vehicles available to test drive at some point over the summer, but that would not be in place prior to June 30 (even though the original plan/goal was to be able to test drive them on road by then). All part of the certification process, etc. apparently. Anyway, I think it's an even trade by not requiring us to put down more than our initial reservation deposit to place a pre-order. Interested buyers just need to be proactive about getting some on road miles in.

Back
Top Bottom