The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Disappointing Day

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:53 PM
Reaction score
We need different perspectives and real reviews and observations.
Most reviews Ive seen are just fan boys gushing how great EVERYTHING is.
This persons perspective is much different from most others, especially the ride quality. Most reviews, even by non fan boys say its one of the highlights.
I cant wait to drive one for myself.
Evomind
Can you please direct me to a couple of the positive reviews you mention? Most reviews I have read are a bit scathing of the vehicle in normal road use. As happy as I am with my Grenadier, I am looking for something from a motoring journalist that I can show to my friends. They all seem to think there are problems. Steering, footrests, windscreen wipers, noise, fuel consumption, reliability, cost, bla, bla, bla. I want one of these sycophantic reviews you talk of.

Last edited:

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm running a ledger of pros and cons. sadly the cons seems to outweigh the pros. only pro that's untouchable is that there isn't anything like it in the market. it's either the IG or nothing. with that you simply have to deal with problems and other things that you don't want to but will.

maybe Toyota will unveil the new LC before I'm faced with emptying my wallet for the grenadier. the new gx is already close.

it's a leap of faith without test driving it.
Still wondering why you are reserving a vehicle that really, seriously, doesn't float your boat. Would it not be best to purchase something that excited and enthused you? This vehicle has weaknesses. My old Defender is one of the most unsuitable vehicles I have ever owned. But there's the crux. I absolutely love it. I now want something with that same feel but more efficient, powerful and comfortable. I think I found it in the Grenadier.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
Evomind
Can you please direct me to a couple of the positive reviews you mention? Most reviews I have read are a bit scathing of the vehicle in normal road use. As happy as I am with my Grenadier, I am looking for something from a motoring journalist that I can show to my friends. They all seem to think there are problems. Steering, footrests, windscreen wipers, noise, fuel consumption, reliability, cost, bla, bla, bla. I want one of these sycophantic reviews you talk of.
Here you go, I like this review. Enjoy. DaBull
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ue2TZQoDQ

Local time
Reaction score
Evomind
Heck, just start watching all the stuff on YouTube.
Most Europeans note the foot rest on the RHD models, most say its not an issue, most note the vague steering and the lock to lock, but most have commented on the great on road ride quality.
Fuel consumption?
This thing is gonna be 85-90k USD once optioned and they're worried abt mpg? Just tell your friends if they are that worried about mpg then they cant afford the truck anyway. :)
As you know not all reviews are glowing, but as far as ride quality most have commented in the positive.
Most of the owner reviews come from out your way.
I dont always like owner reviews.
Not too many owners want to make a video for the world to see and say "I spent all my money on such and such car and I hate it. Im selling."
Im looking forward to some US reviews.

Local time
2:53 PM
Reaction score
Still wondering why you are reserving a vehicle that really, seriously, doesn't float your boat. Would it not be best to purchase something that excited and enthused you? This vehicle has weaknesses. My old Defender is one of the most unsuitable vehicles I have ever owned. But there's the crux. I absolutely love it. I now want something with that same feel but more efficient, powerful and comfortable. I think I found it in the Grenadier.

I reserved since day 1. and like many or most of the other people interested wanted one because there's nothing else like it you can buy. it looks bad ass and is said to be made to tackle harsh conditions. I like many/all are under the impression that the build quality and longevity would be great. this doesn't;t seem to be the case thus far.

it was suppose to take the place of an old rover/defender but without the problems or the high cost of buying pre-owned. deciding on wheter to but a pre-owned defender or a new grenadier seems like an easy decision and a positive in the favor of the IG.

but just because I want one, love the looks and think it's amazing isn't going to stop me from extrapolating the qualms that people have noticed driving and reviewing it. I want to know these things. turning my head and ignoring them, or pointing them out while not speaking or asking about them isn't in my playbook.

Local time
Reaction score
Not too many owners want to make a video for the world to see and say "I spent all my money on such and such car and I hate it. Im selling."

very rarely will anybody own up to this. when you see people in the forum saying xyz, while walking on needles or giving a nuanced version of the problems means there's more to drill into and questions to be asked.

apparently to many here if you bring these things up your negative and your told you shouldn't buy one.

as each day passes more and more issues seem to come to light. as of now the roll out seems to be a borderline disaster with fanboys excepting problems and lol'ing about them for the most part.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:53 PM
Reaction score
very rarely will anybody own up to this. when you see people in the forum saying xyz, while walking on needles or giving a nuanced version of the problems means there's more to drill into and questions to be asked.

apparently to many here if you bring these things up your negative and your told you shouldn't buy one.

as each day passes more and more issues seem to come to light. as of now the roll out seems to be a borderline disaster with fanboys excepting problems and lol'ing about them for the most part.
I really do hope Ineos is monitoring this forum carefully, taking good notes, and making immediate adjustments in the manufacturing process (and kicking some ass in the process). Problems won't improve unless they are called out for what they are.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score

Come down again!
You should just step back and watch the roll out and the fixings for all those annoying problems we all hear of.
If you expect it to be a safe bet, you are wrong. It will not be one. Even if everything goes perfectly fine the next two years the project „Grenadier“ can come to a stop within seconds for many reasons.
I feel very well in my position as a Guinea pig. But I can afford it to make this decision even if it’s a fail!
If you can’t or don’t want to you should wait some more time.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m on board. Made my reservation and submitted my spec. Wait and see for hopefully not too long.

But I would be lying if I didn’t acknowledge a sliver of trepidation. There’s a lot of moving parts (literally and figuratively) to deal with as a new company enters the market. In particular in NA, with a limited dealer network, it would be a major PITA (pain the in ass @Jean Mercier ) to be a considerable distance from the closest dealer but need to frequently visit for warranty-type issues. I “should” be lucky with a dealer within 1.5-2 hours. That will not be the case for many.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Note I said "purchase" not placing an order/pre-order or whatever they're calling it. I'm talking about forking over the cash and having no ability to back out before test driving it. That would be daft.
With the garbage cookie cutter transportation I've driven all my life, minus my Mini Countryman, I have 0 concern buying one without a test drive.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m on board. Made my reservation and submitted my spec. Wait and see for hopefully not too long.

But I would be lying if I didn’t acknowledge a sliver of trepidation. There’s a lot of moving parts (literally and figuratively) to deal with as a new company enters the market. In particular in NA, with a limited dealer network, it would be a major PITA (pain the in ass @Jean Mercier ) to be a considerable distance from the closest dealer but need to frequently visit for warranty-type issues. I “should” be lucky with a dealer within 1.5-2 hours. That will not be the case for many.
I'm 5 ish hours away from the 3 closest dealers out west if warranty work has to be done at the dealership, this will be a major headache.

Simon C

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As some of you are aware I followed the developments from the early announcement and went on one of the prototype test days - I was initially unconvinced by the infra structure behind IA and so went in a JLR direction but returned to the fold in May and placed an order for a Fieldmaster

Today was the first opportunity to drive a petrol version of the Fieldmaster on BRG tyres on road at my agent

I was sensitive to the issues that have been the focus of most attention here and on the main reviews.

- steering - quirky but not a deal breaker
- footrest - a bit awkward certainly but not of itself a deal breaker
- steering wheel - I like the feel in the hand but the infotainment buttons are too big and close to the edge and I was inadvertently activating buttons - maybe that’s something I could adapt to but I didn’t like it
- build quality - impressive
- overall feel in the drivers seat - excellent
- rear visibility on the move - pretty good as I had prepared for far worse and could see above the rear wheel and the view with the split doors was fine

so why the heading to this thread ? Sadly the sway of the vehicle in normal road use was really challenging for me - I got motion sickness and felt awful on a 45 min drive - I’m sure this is down to me and the rest of you are fine with the way the vehicle travels over normal road imperfections but I was in a mess after a relatively short trip on the M4 and A4 and other major and minor roads. When in the prototype off road and on a short estate road I found it fine but today was sadly not for me. I had expected the big BFG tyres to be “floaty” but bump absorbing but they were not

the other issue is the turning circle - I don’t get to reflect on this to any degree as the motion sickness is likely to be a deal breaker but the turning circle would have needed some serious thought - even on shoots on Exmoor or Snowdonia turning into and out of farm gates onto busy roads is a constant issue and I am not sure it would have been good in that environment - parking back at the agents was quite something

I am really disappointed as I was very excited about the whole IA project and in many ways I am still attracted to the quirkiness and what the vehicle does well but not sure I can get beyond the ride quality and how that affects me

this is not a post to knock the vehicle - I’m sure for the vast majority of those interested in the vehicle what I have set out is not a factor - but sadly for me I suspect it is a deal breaker
It's a little odd, I would agree there is some sway on poor surfaces with bad camber but otherwise I haven's noticed any - in fact I've been amazed at how stable and smooth it has been - not harsh either - I'm running 17" with BFG's at around 39psi

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:53 AM
Reaction score
that's how strong the allure of this vehicle is.
Men marry women with less allure , multiple hidden faults that come to light years after the test drive , eye watering maintenance costs and poor resale result.
I'm not one of them , and maybe because of that I can afford the calculated risk of this vehicle.

Last edited:

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I’m no fanboy. The vehicle has quirks but these endear it to me. I have other cars (so perhaps have too much redundancy) but I don’t think the vehicle has any meaningful limitations or flaws. Having said that if I could only have/afford one vehicle then it probably wouldn’t be a Grenadier not because of any issues with it but because I would then be prioritising road use and fuel economy etc etc. Each to their own

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score
Men marry women with less allure , multiple hidden faults that come to light years after thectest drive , eye watering maintenance costs and poor resale result.
I'm not one of them , and maybe because of that I can afford the calculated risk of this vehicle.
+1 😂

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:53 PM
Reaction score
Men marry women with less allure , multiple hidden faults that come to light years after the test drive , eye watering maintenance costs and poor resale result.
I don't know about you guys, but I did not pay $80,000 to get married.

Back
Top Bottom