The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Disappointing Day

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:10 AM
Reaction score
Heck, just start watching all the stuff on YouTube.
Most Europeans note the foot rest on the RHD models, most say its not an issue, most note the vague steering and the lock to lock, but most have commented on the great on road ride quality.
Fuel consumption?
This thing is gonna be 85-90k USD once optioned and they're worried abt mpg? Just tell your friends if they are that worried about mpg then they cant afford the truck anyway. :)
As you know not all reviews are glowing, but as far as ride quality most have commented in the positive.
Most of the owner reviews come from out your way.
I dont always like owner reviews.
Not too many owners want to make a video for the world to see and say "I spent all my money on such and such car and I hate it. Im selling."
Im looking forward to some US reviews.
Hi Evomind
I have to admit that the whole process is frustrating and the pricing structure in the US may have a large influence on how this truck is viewed.
As an owner of the vehicle I can only provide my personal experience which for me is very positive. It suits me in the ways I like. If however, the new Defender was the vehicle I loved, this might not suit me so well.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:10 PM
Reaction score
What did you pay (include honeymoon) , and when?
Far, far less than $80,000 (the bride's family typically pays for the wedding in the U.S.), and in a galaxy far, far away, but even adjusted for inflation, the final bill for the honeymoon (which the groom's family typically pays in the U.S.) was far, far less than $80,000.

Local time
6:10 PM
Reaction score
Hi Evomind
I have to admit that the whole process is frustrating and the pricing structure in the US may have a large influence on how this truck is viewed.
As an owner of the vehicle I can only provide my personal experience which for me is very positive. It suits me in the ways I like. If however, the new Defender was the vehicle I loved, this might not suit me so well.
Hello Cheshire,
Already owning the car what do you care at this point what the reviews say?
You have your own truck so you can make your own conclusions.
Im more interested in reading your review than someone who took it for a 10 min test drive.

Local time
Reaction score
I think.. the thing is if you compare the road manners of an IG to the latest SUV which are heavily compromised to being a high margin roadcar.. It's always going to loose. I'm comparing it to my defender. It's got no swaybars at all in the suspension. Rocks like a giant yacht. The turning circle is similarly compromised. Long wheelbase, solid front.

So for me would be awesome. :D But I can understand if you want to compare it to an SUV...

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:10 AM
Reaction score
Far, far less than $80,000 (the bride's family typically pays for the wedding in the U.S.), and in a galaxy far, far away, but even adjusted for inflation, the final bill for the honeymoon (which the groom's family typically pays in the U.S.) was far, far less than $80,000.
My wife and I paid for our modest wedding and honeymoon (it seemed like a lot of money in 1987 but hey , why not splurge a bit) and we'll be paying for our Grenadier ourselves.
We'd just got a motgage and interest rates were 18%.
So we had to climb out of a big debt hole over many years. Climbers either succeed or fail I guess. The Gren is another hole or hill 😁

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My wife and I paid for our modest wedding and honeymoon (it seemed like a lot of money in 1987 but hey , why not splurge a bit) and we'll be paying for our Grenadier ourselves.
So we had to climb out of a big debt hole over many years. Climbers either succeed or fail I guess. The Gren is another hole or hill 😁
My wife and I got married on 18th December 1987, we were living in Exeter, just north of Launceston at the time.
We got Married in Sydney, had a basic reception and then stayed at my aunt & uncles holiday house at Lake Macquarie for our honeymoon.
We were saving for a house and ended up getting a loan from the Tasmanian Development Authority at 10% interest for the first 6 months.
After buying a block of land in Devonport for $4,000 we built a house on it for $43,000
unfortunately once interest rates went up to 18.22% and my wife had to quit work because she was pregnant we had ton sell it for $58,000
below is the current picture from Google
The houses either side and the one behind were there at the time but none of the other buildings

1686462705106.png1686462929809.png

1686462568767.png

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:10 AM
Reaction score
I‘m afraid I’m not surprised and that my family would relate to that.
This is the reason I’m currently still struggling and would unfortunately impact purchase decision.
Do you think the one factor that leads to the sickness is the ‘boominess’? I mean a raucous steady noise coming from the sides and overhead panel. What I can’t judge is if this is related to wind noise at higher speed or due to vibrations which get transferred further up.
I experienced none of what you have mentioned in my drive, I found it quiet and able to have a normal conversation at highway speeds.

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
9:10 PM
Reaction score
Agree
we need to lose the theory that this is the greatest vehicle on earth and anyone who doesn't agree is wrong.
It is a particular vehicle for a particular set of applications and a particular customer type.
If it doesn't suit your needs, it doesn't mean you are wrong, it means you have different needs or wants to me.
That's why there are so many different people in the world, so everyone has the chance at a partner.
I really agree with this sentiment. As with any passionate group of enthusiasts, there is a tendency toward “us versus them” with regards to defending our choices and passions. We have all seen that in forums, and in life. It’s a great reminder to allow for a wider view of opinions. Allowing for criticism is an important piece of the puzzle.
While I do not have a life-sized tattoo of Sir Jim on my backside, I probably have gone too far in blind support of the grenadier. Likewise, I have felt the panic and frustration when the initial QC took a beating (after the long batch and hold delay). To where I am now on the Kubler-Ross journey to acceptance. I’ll be collecting my Grenadier having never driven one; which I do not think is the most wise decision. Rather the simple result of timing, location, and availability. It’s a calculated gamble. Should things go poorly, I’m prepared to lose some money possibly. What’s worse than that though, would be to lose the connection to the idea. To have the net negatives outweigh the positives. So when I see another forum member go through that, I would tell them “I get it. I’m sorry the journey took this turn for you. Thank you for sharing your passion and I hope you don’t regret taking this trip with the rest of us”.
That was a bit too dramatic, but I’ll let it stand. We’re living at a great time. Can any of you imagine an electric vehicle that you could connect with like this? Me neither. I sure hope that changes, for my children’s sake.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Seems like 1987 was a good year for weddings.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I really agree with this sentiment. As with any passionate group of enthusiasts, there is a tendency toward “us versus them” with regards to defending our choices and passions. We have all seen that in forums, and in life. It’s a great reminder to allow for a wider view of opinions. Allowing for criticism is an important piece of the puzzle.
While I do not have a life-sized tattoo of Sir Jim on my backside, I probably have gone too far in blind support of the grenadier. Likewise, I have felt the panic and frustration when the initial QC took a beating (after the long batch and hold delay). To where I am now on the Kubler-Ross journey to acceptance. I’ll be collecting my Grenadier having never driven one; which I do not think is the most wise decision. Rather the simple result of timing, location, and availability. It’s a calculated gamble. Should things go poorly, I’m prepared to lose some money possibly. What’s worse than that though, would be to lose the connection to the idea. To have the net negatives outweigh the positives. So when I see another forum member go through that, I would tell them “I get it. I’m sorry the journey took this turn for you. Thank you for sharing your passion and I hope you don’t regret taking this trip with the rest of us”.
That was a bit too dramatic, but I’ll let it stand. We’re living at a great time. Can any of you imagine an electric vehicle that you could connect with like this? Me neither. I sure hope that changes, for my children’s sake.
This is similar to tthe attitude of the JLR/Toyota fan club members who would die with their vehicle, even when the LR is broken down on the side of the road - which most try to shake knowing better as they got older!!! I see vehicles as 'buy what's best for you' and could not care less for brands / marketing / perceptions. If the vehicle is not 100% - then we have the market here to sell!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A very well written sentiment that reflects very much the passion we have for this vehicle as a forum, whilst still (I believe), able to accept constructive criticism. There are now enough of us out there who actually have the Grenadier at home, that any genuine concerns will soon become apparent.
For me, there are some issues most of which will be addressed by the aftermarket. Dubious plastics in certain areas, lack of USB's around the dashboard are two items that come to mind. Overall I am over the moon with my new purchase whilst fully accepting, it will not be for everyone.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:10 AM
Reaction score
I did not pay $80,000 to get married
At the end of your life it might turn out that this in fact did cost you a million or more.

There is no marriage for free.

But I still think that mine is utlimately priceless.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
well put DDG.

Every decision humans make are heavily (or exclusively) based on an emotional reaction, then supported by what we believe are the salient facts.
These decisions almost always contain comprises and Grenadier ownership is no exception.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:10 PM
Reaction score
. I’ll be collecting my Grenadier having never driven one; which I do not think is the most wise decision.
I’m figuring that by the time late fall arrives, but before NA deliveries begin, dealers will have some demo trucks. It would be odd if they didn’t, so hopefully we will have an opportunity to drive them before we sign on the proverbial dotted line. We have the luxury of not being locked in because unlike some, we’re not forced into a ~$5,000 secondary deposit.

Back
Top Bottom