The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Disappointing Day

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:42 PM
Reaction score
I’m figuring that by the time late fall arrives, but before NA deliveries begin, dealers will have some demo trucks. It would be odd if they didn’t, so hopefully we will have an opportunity to drive them before we sign on the proverbial dotted line. We have the luxury of not being locked in because unlike some, we’re not forced into a ~$5,000 secondary deposit.
No one was forced but if you wished to be the few to have the original Grenadier you deposited gladly.

Local time
Reaction score
I think the "you didn't even drive it" argument is a bit bunk, in this case. No one could really drive it. Sure, some of us (myself included) got to romp around off road, in 4 low, for a short stint. For me, at 6'5", the "test drive" was far more about physical comfort limitations than anything else. Gladly, I found it comfortable, although a bit snug in the footwell. Granted I'm also used to full sized American trucks, which are basically limos these days. My bigger concern right now is the fact that a dealer is going to be 4-6 hours away.
It's a bit surprising how many people are buying cars these days w/o trying them out. I've got friends who've bought a Rivian R1T, a Tesla 3 and an X without having even seen it first. On the other hand, the wife and I looked at the following SUVs last Saturday, none of which had the interior comfort/space of our current 2019 Traverse:
* Defender 130: (horrific front seat leg room)
* Disco: Not roomy enough
* BMW X5: No rear leg room behind me
* BMW X7: Ok, but disappointing leg room behind me for the size
* Jeep Grand Cherokee: Wife hated it
* Dodge Durango: Used to have one, rear seat leg room pretty bad
* Audi Q7: Ok, bit bland, rear seat leg room okish
* Porsche Cayenne: Shocker, leg room in the back no bueno
* Merc GLE: Not bad but just felt a but cramped
* Merc GLS: Thought this would win until I sat int the passenger front seat. Holy cow how does such a big SUV have such terrible leg room???

Luckily dealers have inventory in the showroom these days, we knocked all that out in a few hours. But very disappointing overall, I don't know how NBA and (US) football players buy vehicles they find comfortable.

Local time
Reaction score
I’m figuring that by the time late fall arrives, but before NA deliveries begin, dealers will have some demo trucks. It would be odd if they didn’t, so hopefully we will have an opportunity to drive them before we sign on the proverbial dotted line. We have the luxury of not being locked in because unlike some, we’re not forced into a ~$5,000 secondary deposit.

in light of all the problems that keep popping up daily, I hope the us market gets delayed until they figure chit out. has grenadier even admitted to problems that should/need to be addressed?

among other things hearing transmission "bongs" isn't something I want to have to experience

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
dealers don't have any demo trucks of production vehicles in Australia yet

Reactions: Max

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:42 AM
Reaction score
I think the "you didn't even drive it" argument is a bit bunk, in this case. No one could really drive it. Sure, some of us (myself included) got to romp around off road, in 4 low, for a short stint. For me, at 6'5", the "test drive" was far more about physical comfort limitations than anything else. Gladly, I found it comfortable, although a bit snug in the footwell. Granted I'm also used to full sized American trucks, which are basically limos these days. My bigger concern right now is the fact that a dealer is going to be 4-6 hours away.
It's a bit surprising how many people are buying cars these days w/o trying them out. I've got friends who've bought a Rivian R1T, a Tesla 3 and an X without having even seen it first. On the other hand, the wife and I looked at the following SUVs last Saturday, none of which had the interior comfort/space of our current 2019 Traverse:
* Merc GLS: Thought this would win until I sat int the passenger front seat. Holy cow how does such a big SUV have such terrible leg room???

Luckily dealers have inventory in the showroom these days, we knocked all that out in a few hours. But very disappointing overall, I don't know how NBA and (US) football players buy vehicles they find comfortable.
That's an interesting choice of vehicles you have listed if you are considering an IG as on the road they are nothing like them. I personally found the IG smaller than most internally than you most you have listed and if I wanted an SUV I would strike the Gren off the list. It is in my opinion not a particularly city centric vehicle. It takes a reasonable amount of driver input to get around town in (steering wise) and rear leg room would be limited in the back especially if you're 6ft5". The turning circle is quite large also so take that into account.
Just my thoughts from taking one for a drive the other day 🙂

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's an interesting choice of vehicles you have listed if you are considering an IG as on the road they are nothing like them. I personally found the IG smaller then most internally than you most you have listed and if I wanted an SUV I would strike the Gren off the list. It is in my opinion not a particularly city centric vehicle. It takes a reasonable amount of driver input to get around town in (steering wise) and rear leg room would be limited in the back especially if you're 6ft5". The turning circle is quite large also so take that into account.
I agree. That list is diverse but most are extremely on-road oriented and using a Traverse as any measure of comparison is odd. They’ve nice vehicles but I’d refer to them as “cross over” vehicles and in a different world than anything listed.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score

If you’re a bit of a Lurch, then based on a mates search for 4wd vehicles (ignoring the large US pickups at least) your best option is the Nissan Patrol (Titan I think in the US). He’s 6’6” and his two teenage boys are both over 6’ now and that was their only viable option.

And at least it’s a capable 4wd if that’s what you’re really after as opposed to an SUV. Of course the interior looks like your grandma’s lounge room but we all need to make compromises. 😂😂😂

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree. That list is diverse but most are extremely on-road oriented and using a Traverse as any measure of comparison is odd. They’ve nice vehicles but I’d refer to them as “cross over” vehicles and in a different world than anything listed.
Definitely, I think once the IG is available to drive as a demonstrator it will become apparent that this is not an SUV along the likes of those aforementioned.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you’re a bit of a Lurch, then based on a mates search for 4wd vehicles (ignoring the large US pickups at least) your best option is the Nissan Patrol (Titan I think in the US). He’s 6’6” and his two teenage boys are both over 6’ now and that was their only viable option.

And at least it’s a capable 4wd if that’s what you’re really after as opposed to an SUV. Of course the interior looks like your grandma’s lounge room but we all need to make compromises. 😂😂😂
The Titan here is a pickup. I believe the Patrol is the Armada in the States.

Local time
Reaction score

Mmmmmm you rang?
Yeah total lurch. I've got a 2019 Ram Rebel, it's a great turck and the fam all fit (my boy is 6'1, so smiilar problems to your friend). The Gren is a complete splurge, the Rebel is capable enough off road for me (rear locker, 33s, gets my jobs done). The SUV hunt I quoted was for the wife's rig, which tag teams w/the truck for multiple 1k mile annual road trips for family visits. I like having 2 comfortable road trippers, but may end up just getting something "good enough" for smaller jaunts and the truck will do road trip duty. Wouldn't mind one of the new GMs w/the 3.0 diesel in it, 28-30mpg highway would be pretty sweet. Tried to talk the wife into a Tahoe w/that motors but she doesn't like daily-ing something that big.
It'd be pretty cool to be able to push the Grenadier rear seats back another 3-4", but doubt that's possible.
Oh yeah, tried an MDX as well, I couldn't even sit up straight in the back w/a hat on, stupid sunroof cut out too much headroom.
Talk about first world problems, lolz.

Local time
Reaction score
That's an interesting choice of vehicles you have listed if you are considering an IG as on the road they are nothing like them. I personally found the IG smaller than most internally than you most you have listed and if I wanted an SUV I would strike the Gren off the list. It is in my opinion not a particularly city centric vehicle. It takes a reasonable amount of driver input to get around town in (steering wise) and rear leg room would be limited in the back especially if you're 6ft5". The turning circle is quite large also so take that into account.
Yeah that list was all for the wife. I go along to make sure I can fit in them, hehe. Her current ride is a Traverse, she's just ready for something different. It's a fantastic car for family use. The Gren is splurge/toy/my car, whatever you'd want to label it. We test drove one, offroad only, I fit well enough for its intended use. But I wouldn't want to sit behind me on any road trip.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mmmmmm you rang?
Yeah total lurch. I've got a 2019 Ram Rebel, it's a great turck and the fam all fit (my boy is 6'1, so smiilar problems to your friend). The Gren is a complete splurge, the Rebel is capable enough off road for me (rear locker, 33s, gets my jobs done). The SUV hunt I quoted was for the wife's rig, which tag teams w/the truck for multiple 1k mile annual road trips for family visits. I like having 2 comfortable road trippers, but may end up just getting something "good enough" for smaller jaunts and the truck will do road trip duty. Wouldn't mind one of the new GMs w/the 3.0 diesel in it, 28-30mpg highway would be pretty sweet. Tried to talk the wife into a Tahoe w/that motors but she doesn't like daily-ing something that big.
It'd be pretty cool to be able to push the Grenadier rear seats back another 3-4", but doubt that's possible.
Oh yeah, tried an MDX as well, I couldn't even sit up straight in the back w/a hat on, stupid sunroof cut out too much headroom.
Talk about first world problems, lolz.
Unfortunately you won't be able to move the rear seats back and if your kids are 6ft+ they will hate you at the end of the road trip 😀
I can understand the toy aspect of your purchase but IMO if its for the wife she may just hate you also seeing as getting in and out won't be as easy as your current vehicles.

That said, wait until there is an available IG to drive on road and see what she thinks.

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm running a ledger of pros and cons. sadly the cons seems to outweigh the pros. only pro that's untouchable is that there isn't anything like it in the market. it's either the IG or nothing. with that you simply have to deal with problems and other things that you don't want to but will.

maybe Toyota will unveil the new LC before I'm faced with emptying my wallet for the grenadier. the new gx is already close.

it's a leap of faith without test driving it.
What LC are you wanting for the 300?
If so this is like comparing apples with bananas.
Its a totally different vehicle in many ways.
Honestly, wait until one is available to drive before making a firm decision and weighing up pros and cons as this is merely subjective based on someone else personal and your own on paper standpoint.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the idea at this point is that the newly announced Lexus GX will have a LC sibling in NA. I believe this will be the Prado LC (250?).

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the idea at this point is that the newly announced Lexus GX will have a LC sibling in NA. I believe this will be the Prado LC (250?).

It certainly looks that way

Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
Evomind
Can you please direct me to a couple of the positive reviews you mention? Most reviews I have read are a bit scathing of the vehicle in normal road use. As happy as I am with my Grenadier, I am looking for something from a motoring journalist that I can show to my friends. They all seem to think there are problems. Steering, footrests, windscreen wipers, noise, fuel consumption, reliability, cost, bla, bla, bla. I want one of these sycophantic reviews you talk of.

And then people moan that LR didn't make the new Defender "more like the old one" lol
The reason was that owners would whinge about the ride, the noise, the steering, the interior plastics, the fuel consumption, the small media screen etc

lf you want a new Defender then the Grenadier is the way to go. lf you want a new "Defender" then look at the LR option.

Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
I think.. the thing is if you compare the road manners of an IG to the latest SUV which are heavily compromised to being a high margin roadcar.. It's always going to loose. I'm comparing it to my defender. It's got no swaybars at all in the suspension. Rocks like a giant yacht. The turning circle is similarly compromised. Long wheelbase, solid front.

So for me would be awesome. :D But I can understand if you want to compare it to an SUV...
You can fit sway bars and it transforms the old Defender for road use, without compromising the off road ability except in conditions of extreme axle articulation.
All the brackets are there on the chassis.

If you've got standard wheels you can also adjust the lock stop bolts to improve the turning circle. You can get the 110 turning circle the same as a 90 and it's quite a difference.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom