The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Went to pick up my Grenadier...

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:30 PM
Reaction score
I received the same call from RDS, it sucks. Same scenario: scheduled the appointment last week, made arrangements for payment/financing before my visit to assure a quick in and out visit, took the day off today (Wednesday), wife took the day off, and then a call yesterday (Tuesday) late afternoon, sorry no temp tags. RDS blamed the state of PA for not sending the temp tags, it appears the PA DOT is a week or two behind in sending temp tags. The cost of ownership for a Grenadier is getting more and more expensive with this mishap. Not cool.
Update: Yesterday, I received a call from RDS informing me that the tags were in. I picked up the Grenadier this morning, and the RDS staff were very professional and apologetic. They managed to get me out the door very quickly, which I appreciated. Although it was frustrating, in the grand scheme of life, a few extra days did not cause me any harm. Thank you, RDS.

Jack123

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
12:30 PM
Reaction score
Update: Yesterday, I received a call from RDS informing me that the tags were in. I picked up the Grenadier this morning, and the RDS staff were very professional and apologetic. They managed to get me out the door very quickly, which I appreciated. Although it was frustrating, in the grand scheme of life, a few extra days did not cause me any harm. Thank you, RDS.

Wonderful! Congratulations LeonD! I'm sure the long wait is all worth it! I'm jealous!!! :)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello all - as you know I went through an issue where my dealer, RDS of Devon, PA, had to delay my delivery because they ran out of temp tags. I wanted to update the situation as I had a lengthy conversation with Michael and hopefully this explanation will call off the dogs some.

First off, @Michael Juliana and crew were extremely apologetic. Through our discussion he explained that car dealers in PA are only allowed to request a new batch of temp tags from the State of Pennsylvania once their current supply dips below 20 and typically these are replenished in about a week's time. Once RDS reached that 20 tag threshold they ordered more temps in the maximum quantity allowed - 50. The state took over two weeks to get the tags to the dealer and in the interim they sold out their remaining tags. The combination of a slow refill time and extremely high number of deliveries made things a bit sticky. In hindsight, this is a unique situation in that the sales volume is virtually unprecedented - I imagine this is extremely rare for a dealer to have literally hundreds of orders before they've opened their doors.

Many have explained that in PA any notary can authorize a temp registration but one of the conditions to do so is a valid title for the vehicle - in the case of a new vehicle this means possession of the MCO. Unfortunately several members here had their deliveries delayed because those documents had not yet been received from INEOS HQ in North Carolina; this was the situation in my case.

Admittedly, I was seeing red that day and over the next, and felt like everything thrown my way was a lame excuse or BS. Now, however, having a better understanding of the situation, I don't feel as wronged as I did. My frustration was certainly warranted but perhaps misdirected.

That said, my handover experience was delightful. The dealership building itself is under a remodel (it was a Nissan dealership) but the sales area is nice and big and the workshop is massive; there was a drawing of the finished product on display and it's going to look quite nice.

All things considered, my truck is in the driveway and I'm content. Phew - what a long journey it has been!

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Awesome!

The dealer wants the car off the lot, and customer doesn't want to hear "wait 3 weeks so we make sure the state and ineos are on time as usual". And when the delivery machine is running smoothy, apparently they make the appointments "knowing" all the paperwork machine will deliver on specified times. Think of it as a JIT manufacturing process. They also have a lot of cars to deliver, and everyone wants a Friday or Saturday appointment, so if they can get someone to come in on a Monday or Tuesday, they are ecstatic. That may also contribute to a willingness to push the timing envelope a bit since things were going smoothly.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello all - as you know I went through an issue where my dealer, RDS of Devon, PA, had to delay my delivery because they ran out of temp tags. I wanted to update the situation as I had a lengthy conversation with Michael and hopefully this explanation will call off the dogs some.

First off, @Michael Juliana and crew were extremely apologetic. Through our discussion he explained that car dealers in PA are only allowed to request a new batch of temp tags from the State of Pennsylvania once their current supply dips below 20 and typically these are replenished in about a week's time. Once RDS reached that 20 tag threshold they ordered more temps in the maximum quantity allowed - 50. The state took over two weeks to get the tags to the dealer and in the interim they sold out their remaining tags. The combination of a slow refill time and extremely high number of deliveries made things a bit sticky. In hindsight, this is a unique situation in that the sales volume is virtually unprecedented - I imagine this is extremely rare for a dealer to have literally hundreds of orders before they've opened their doors.

Many have explained that in PA any notary can authorize a temp registration but one of the conditions to do so is a valid title for the vehicle - in the case of a new vehicle this means possession of the MCO. Unfortunately several members here had their deliveries delayed because those documents had not yet been received from INEOS HQ in North Carolina; this was the situation in my case.

Admittedly, I was seeing red that day and over the next, and felt like everything thrown my way was a lame excuse or BS. Now, however, having a better understanding of the situation, I don't feel as wronged as I did. My frustration was certainly warranted but perhaps misdirected.

That said, my handover experience was delightful. The dealership building itself is under a remodel (it was a Nissan dealership) but the sales area is nice and big and the workshop is massive; there was a drawing of the finished product on display and it's going to look quite nice.

All things considered, my truck is in the driveway and I'm content. Phew - what a long journey it has been!
Photo?? :)

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I find your situation and ultimate explanation to be, most likely, somewhat similar to the KO Ineos situation in MA. The similarity being that there was a problem, the problem wasn't "divulged" to customers until it had to be, the communication of that problem was poor at best, and when fully explained to the customer was understandable/reasonable. The real issue was the bit in the middle...I am amazed that whether you are an individual or a major corporation that when problems/issues come up that the default is to be somewhat secretive.

I learned many years ago to own your mistake(s), be honest about them from the start, and avoid making them again.

Local time
Reaction score
I find your situation and ultimate explanation to be, most likely, somewhat similar to the KO Ineos situation in MA. The similarity being that there was a problem, the problem wasn't "divulged" to customers until it had to be, the communication of that problem was poor at best, and when fully explained to the customer was understandable/reasonable. The real issue was the bit in the middle...I am amazed that whether you are an individual or a major corporation that when problems/issues come up that the default is to be somewhat secretive.

I learned many years ago to own your mistake(s), be honest about them from the start, and avoid making them again.
I agree with your second part, but, I don't inform customers about a problem, unill I know I actually have a problem, I haven't been able to resolve it in time to avoid pulling the 'chute, and ideally, I can talk intelligently as to what is going on and what the solution is going to be. In an expedited situation such as this, it was likely the quickest response and it wasn't likely he would have ever known there was a failure to execute the unexceptional paperwork tasks on the part of other parties in time to save Krab the inconvenience. "Secretive" implies some sort of nefarious intent or coverup. There wasn't one. He just didn't know he had an issue until it was too late.

Shit happens, and usually, that's all there is to it.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:30 PM
Reaction score

And I thought California regulations were over the top. DaBull

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree with your second part, but, I don't inform customers about a problem, unill I know I actually have a problem, I haven't been able to resolve it in time to avoid pulling the 'chute, and ideally, I can talk intelligently as to what is going on and what the solution is going to be. In an expedited situation such as this, it was likely the quickest response and it wasn't likely he would have ever known there was a failure to execute the unexceptional paperwork tasks on the part of other parties in time to save Krab the inconvenience. "Secretive" implies some sort of nefarious intent or coverup. There wasn't one. He just didn't know he had an issue until it was too late.

Shit happens, and usually, that's all there is to it.
Well the specific issue i see in Krabby’s situation is they knew they were out of temp tags, or at a bare minimum they were running low, and scheduled him as well as others to pick up their vehicles. Of course this was one excuse he was given but the real reason was that they didn’t have his MCO yet…This is the “secretive” part. One could argue they may have been told they would have it (like the temp tags) but the mixed messaging and ultimate “truth” came out after the customer made the effort. This is a case in poor planning on the dealers part and not “shit happens”.

One can recover from this situation by being honest and upfront but trust is damaged.

Pittsaero

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Well the specific issue i see in Krabby’s situation is they knew they were out of temp tags, or at a bare minimum they were running low, and scheduled him as well as others to pick up their vehicles. Of course this was one excuse he was given but the real reason was that they didn’t have his MCO yet…This is the “secretive” part. One could argue they may have been told they would have it (like the temp tags) but the mixed messaging and ultimate “truth” came out after the customer made the effort. This is a case in poor planning on the dealers part and not “shit happens”.

One can recover from this situation by being honest and upfront but trust is damaged.
The MCO issue only affects a notary, not the dealer. I picked mine up from RDS on a temp tag and the MCO was mailed to me a few days later so I could do my title work once they got it.

Back
Top Bottom