The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Auxiliary Lights in the Grill - High Power LED light upgrade without any cutting

Which Light Brackets would you be willing to pre-order

• 1) Exzeit LML-5064B (160W total)

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • 2) KC Hilites Flex Era 4 (160W total)

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • 3) Diode Dynamics SS3 (80W total)

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 4) Clearwater Lights Super Sevina (140W total)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5) Clearwater Lights Dixi (200W total)

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:25 PM
Reaction score
I've been a diehard Diode Dynamics guy for years, but I think the Dixi may be winning this one for me....

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
3:25 PM
Reaction score
I like both Clearwater options, I am little concerned about the Dixi option in regards to the space within the grill light shrouds to accommodate the optional slip on covers and still have enough room to adjust the light up or down with out contacting the light shrouds . With that in mind I am leaning towards the Super Sevina as it looks to have more space between it and the shroud.

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:25 PM
Reaction score
At this point I don't see a way to make a truly universal bracket.

However, there are some 3in to 4in diameter lights that come with a mount bracket that could be pivoted towards the grill such that they could be "wall" mounted. We could then make a completely flat mount plate that attaches inside the grill aux light buckets. This would allow someone to drill their own holes and mount a pod light such as this. If people are interested (and find some candidate lights) I could explore that.
Thanks a lot @BenTN.
I'd be interested if this pushes through.

Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This post contains a breakdown of the 5 lights I worked with, with pros & cons (as I see it) to help clarify the differences between options.

1) Exzeit LML-5064B (160W total)
US$80/pair
Pros: cost/availability, classic round shape fits grill bezel, high output
Cons: off-brand manufacturer (quality unknown), single lens/beam selection

View attachment 7854129

View attachment 7854130

This is the option that has been tested in actual use with metal brackets on my car. I am thrilled with the result given the modest investment. I think this simple round shape looks great in the grill.

Light pods are available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083NMF64M/?tag=globalgrena0b-20

Verdict: I plan to order a few sets of these brackets to distribute to early adopters. Will order more if interest is there. Should be sending them out by mid-May.

2) KC Hilites Flex Era 4 (160W total)
US$650/pair
Pros: established manufacturer, modern style, high output, changeable lenses
Cons: squared shape does not match round vehicle bezel, protrudes forward of bezel due to depth

View attachment 7854132 View attachment 7854133

View attachment 7854131 View attachment 7854138

This is a high-quality light and a great fit. Fit-up sample lights were provided by Mr. @Stu_Barnes himself.

Verdict: Stu plans to order a few sets of these brackets to distribute to early adopters. We will order more if interest is there. We should be sending them out by mid-May.

3) Diode Dynamics SS3 (80W total)
US$500/pair (lower also available)
Pros: established manufacturer, modern style, very compact, sits back within round bezel
Cons: not very powerful, does not fill bezel, wire exit location results in sharp bend at bucket

View attachment 7854135 View attachment 7854136

View attachment 7854137

Verdict: Not yet sure if there is sufficient interest in this light to justify ordering metal brackets for further testing.

4) Clearwater Lights Super Sevina (140W total)
US$1269/pair
Pros: classic round shape matches bezel, high output
Cons: expensive, fitment is still in development, does not quite fill round bezel, will require a hole drilled in grill bucket for wire clearance

I didn't get any good pics of test fitting this one on the vehicle, so here is CAD and a gif to look at. This light's basic style is the same as the Dixi, below. But this one can be recessed back into the bezel better.

View attachment 7854160 View attachment 7854139

Clearwater is enthusiastic about supporting this community with a high-end solution. The sample light I received from them for mockup was not functional and did not include a couple features needed for final evaluation. I will try to stay on them to keep this moving forward.

Verdict: I think this is a great future option. I will continue to work with Clearwater and any early adopters that want to help us proceed.

5) Clearwater Lights Dixi (200W total)
US$1369/pair
Pros: this thing is an absolute unit, VERY powerful, classic round shape matches bezel perfectly
Cons: expensive, fitment is still in development, will require a hole drilled in grill bucket for wire clearance

NOTE: photos below show empty podlight shell without LEDs or lenses

View attachment 7854140 View attachment 7854141
View attachment 7854142 View attachment 7854143

Clearwater is enthusiastic about supporting this community with an ultra high-end solution using this large light. The sample unit I received from them for mockup was not functional and did not include all features needed for evaluation. I plan to keep this moving forward because I might install this light on my own vehicle when it is all sorted.

Verdict: I think the Dixi is a great future option. I will continue to work with Clearwater and any early adopters that want to help us proceed.

A special thank you to @Stu_Barnes , @anand , @IG_in_AZ , @BoiseIdaho , @DaBull , @Tom109 , @nmoeder , @stickshifter , and others for their help behind the scenes.

The next step is to decide how many metal bracket kits we order. This will be influenced by the community response here on the forum. I will help get the components on order, and Stu will provide worldwide distribution via the forum store (just like we did with the reverse camera light shrouds). My wild guess is that the bracket kits will be sold for ~$150 with hardware. You order the lights separately yourself.

So let Stu know with your comments; which option would you want to see available thru the forum store?
Hi Ben, Thanks for the incredible amount of research and design you have done.
Love all the options. For me, the first option, (1) Exzeit LML-5064B (160W total) for $80 a pair
looks like one heck of a value and looks great too.
Like to get your detailed feedback using them at night vs the stock lights.
DaBull

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I'm quite excited about it. I am going Clearwater but I also like the low cost alternative -seems like a great value. I've had enough of Chinese led bulbs dying on me that I think I'd like a high quality offering though.

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:25 PM
Reaction score
I went back through the earlier posts in this thread and I am tagging people that expressed interest below. I want to make sure people see this update and get to vote in the poll that @Stu_Barnes created.

The poll is visible at the top of any page of this thread. If you haven't already, cast your vote for which light kit you are most interested in. The results will impact our initial batch order sizes, which ultimately impacts kit price.

Mentioned the Exzeit option:
@archerwolf @Cheshire cat @grnamin @NoMoTaco @Texas Grenadier @FlyersFan76 @DaBull @crashnburn @Gibby @BoiseIdaho @Hill Country TX @parb @ozziepom

Mentioned the Clearwater Super Sevina and/or Dixi:
@IG_in_AZ @DaBull

Mentioned Baja Design LP4s:
@nmoeder

Mentioned KC Hilites Flex Era 4:
Stu Barnes @Migs

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Hey @BenTN. I chose Exzeit in poll and wanted to make sure you saw it.

Hill Country TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:25 PM
Reaction score
I went back through the earlier posts in this thread and I am tagging people that expressed interest below. I want to make sure people see this update and get to vote in the poll that @Stu_Barnes created.

The poll is visible at the top of any page of this thread. If you haven't already, cast your vote for which light kit you are most interested in. The results will impact our initial batch order sizes, which ultimately impacts kit price.

@archerwolf @Cheshire cat @grnamin @NoMoTaco @Texas Grenadier @FlyersFan76 @DaBull @crashnburn @Gibby @BoiseIdaho @Hill Country TX @parb @ozziepom

@IG_in_AZ @DaBull

@nmoeder

Stu Barnes @Migs
I cast my vote in the poll for the Exzeit sol'n. Thanks for following up.

nmoeder

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

@IG_in_AZ @DaBull

@nmoeder

Stu Barnes @Migs
Thanks - I switched teams and voted Clearwater!

Back
Top Bottom