The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Parking light issues

AWo

Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
… Then I’m wondering why the owners manual warns that you should only leave the parking lamps on for a limited time with the ignition off to prevent draining the battery? 🙂

View attachment 7830908
Maybe it should have been implemented but wasn't. Feel free to test it on your own and see how it corresponds to the manual.

AWo

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
Maybe it should have been implemented but wasn't. Feel free to test it on your own and see how it corresponds to the manual.

AWo

As stated previously, the parking light function on my vehicle (which, incidentally, has not had the software update) does not operate as per the owners manual.

I'm not surprised that a few minor issues have slipped through, given the enormity of the task of developing a new vehicle. 🙂

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:42 AM
Reaction score
Isn’t it a MOT fail in England.
Interesting question, I assume that that inspectors turn the ignition on anyway since they will be checking the headlights. I have never come across another car that can't turn on the "side lights" with the ignition off.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Ok, what I found:

Regarding UNECE and the German StVO

1. The parking light function can be provided by the "Begrenzungsleuchte" by the sider-marker-light or the contour light. That is almost always the case with M1 and N1 cars.
2. Regarding the German STVO §17 (4) you have to illuminate cars which are stationary outside of build-up areas. You can illuminate a stationary car within a build-up area and then it is enough to switch on only the side which faces the road (normally that is done by using the turning indicator while the ignition is off).

Regarding regulation VO 2015/208 Appendix XII 6.11.7 which regulates the switching of the parking light you must be able to turn on the parking light (if it exists) independently from other lights. That is the case. So this regulation is met.

But then I found within UNECE R48 (which defines what lights a car needs, how much, where and how it must be switched):

UNECE R48 6.12.7
Überschrift
Elektrische Schaltung
Die Schaltung muss so ausgeführt sein, dass die Parkleuchte auf derselben Fahrzeugseite unabhängig von anderen Leuchten eingeschaltet werden kann/können.
Die Parkleuchte und, falls vorhanden, die Begrenzungsleuchten und die Schlussleuchten nach 6.12.9 müssen auch dann eingeschaltet werden können, wenn die Einrichtung, mit der das Antriebssystem gestartet wird, sich in einer Stellung befindet, in der der Betrieb des Antriebssystems nicht möglich ist. Eine Einrichtung, die diese Leuchten als Funktion der Zeit automatisch ausschaltet, ist nicht zulässig.

Translated: the parking light must work with ignition off. This regulation must not be valid in a single country, but within the EU most countries follow the R48 and sometimes national regulations overwrite this, like in Sweden where you can use three high beam lights and you do not have to use them in pairs. However, Germany follows UNECE R48.

Actually I try to figure out, how the homologation has been successfull while this requirement is not met.

AWo

Last edited:

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is not really a surprise. Since decades parking lights are obligatory in Germany and every car I know has them switched the way above described.
I think a TÜV-engineer will not be amused if he discovers the issue at our Grenadiers. Might even refuse to give the TÜV-sticker if he has a bad day.

Local time
12:42 AM
Reaction score
Just had the software update and can confirm no parking lights the dealer was more than surprised.
and an I please have my off road screen back.

• Sad
Reactions: IGL
Back
Top Bottom