The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Safety Inspection - Lights not DOT Marked

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
According to a post on Facebook, it looks like a Virginia state inspector failed a Grenadier because the lights were not marked with DOT. If this is the case, this will be expensive for Ineos to fix.

Can anyone take a survey of their vehicle and document which lights are, and which lights are not marked DOT?

VA Code requires:

A. Inspect for and reject if:

1. Any motor vehicle is not equipped with at least two headlamps of an approved type. An approved headlamp assembly that contains bulbs for both the high and low beams within the same housing shall be considered one headlamp. The headlamps must be marked with the headlamp manufacturer's name or trademark, and DOT. If the headlamp bulbs are replaceable, the headlamp lens must be marked with the headlamp light source type (bulb) for which it was designed and the bulb must match the lens code.

Based on some internet sleuthing, I think these are classified as Aux lamps, and not headlamps.

VA Code

Last edited:

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Real time update from the facebook thread - it looks like this may be limited to the off road lights - which are not intended for on road use.

They may be required to cover them as Nissan needed to do on the Xterra's.

Reducs

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's things like this that make me shake my head and must really confuse our overseas friends. We can make any number of questionable (insane?) modifications to our vehicles that would get them immediately impounded and fined like tires and half baked suspension "improvements", but those lights you're not going to use? COVER THEM! NOW! 'DOT' isn't stamped on the lens! :rolleyes:

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's things like this that make me shake my head and must really confuse our overseas friends. We can make any number of questionable (insane?) modifications to our vehicles that would get them immediately impounded and fined like tires and half baked suspension "improvements", but those lights you're not going to use? COVER THEM! NOW! 'DOT' isn't stamped on the lens! :rolleyes:
I'll take our way over TUV any day of the week

Local time
7:43 AM
Reaction score
We use to turn the light around when on-road. SAE vs DOT vs confusion in California (CHO) has been there (my experience) since the 70’s. This was a miss by Ineos IMO.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We use to turn the light around when on-road. SAE vs DOT vs confusion in California (CHO) has been there (my experience) since the 70’s. This was a miss by Ineos IMO.
I think the vehicle likely conforms with NHTSA FMVSS and this is an error on the part of the inspector.

Local time
3:43 PM
Reaction score
Some states require off-road lights to be covered, others do not. Below are two websites that have info on laws for each state in the U.S. with regard to auxiliary off-road lights in general, and light-bars specifically (I know the Gren doesn't come with a light bar from the factory). I haven't fact-checked the info or anything, but it seems like these might be useful:

Are Light Bars and Aux Lights Legal On-Road

Light Bar Laws by State

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom