The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Auxiliary Lights in the Grill - High Power LED light upgrade without any cutting

Which Light Brackets would you be willing to pre-order

• 1) Exzeit LML-5064B (160W total)

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • 2) KC Hilites Flex Era 4 (160W total)

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • 3) Diode Dynamics SS3 (80W total)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 4) Clearwater Lights Super Sevina (140W total)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 5) Clearwater Lights Dixi (200W total)

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:47 AM
Reaction score
Like many others I was disappointed in the stock aux. lights in the grill of my Grenadier. I'm sure there were various regulations that limited what could legally be mounted there from the factory, but the light output is just pointless. I don't think I would ever use them, especially with the hassle of putting the car in offroad mode first (I'm in North America).

I decided to find a way to mount a modern high-power pair of LEDs in the stock location, without the need to do any cutting of the grill. I've seen a few kits out there but they all have hefty price tags and require cutting. I don't want to hack up the front end of my car if I don't have to.

Turns out the aux. lights installed at the factory are a PAR46 style lamp, which is a standard 5.75in diameter light housing size. The Grenadier lights are a 7.4Watt lamp, which is literally 10% the power of many modern LED pod lights. No wonder they are useless. There are a million aftermarket headlights available in this PAR46 size, and plenty of them are LED. However the Grenadier aux lights feature a unique triple mount boss in the rear that snaps into some grommets in the grill buckets (plastic dish behind the lamps). There does not seem to be any other light available that will mount in this same way.

I considered fashioning a bracket that would secure a modern PAR46 lamp in there, but ultimately decided that I didn't really want a redundant set of headlights on the car. I wanted something more powerful like a off-road pod light. The problem is that 5in (127mm) is a slightly unusual size for round pod lights.

After way too much time searching I found a good candidate in a 5in round pod light rated 80W per lamp with a combo (spot + flood) lens. These rugged lights include wiring, nice sealed connectors, and relay as part of the package, all for an unbelievable $80 on Amazon. Note that this pair of lights draws >13 amps, so the standard ceiling-mounted 10 amp upfitter switches will not work directly, requiring a relay in the circuit to switch the high current.

After some measuring and CAD work, I created the sheetmetal bracket design shown in the pics attached here. This bracket secures the light pods at their designed attachment/aiming points, and bolts directly into the holes that mounted the original aux lights in the Grenadier grill bucket. No cutting required. Best of all the original bezel fits around these lights and attaches right back into place. The final result looks like it could have come from the factory, in my opinion.

Exzeit Installed_BenTN.jpg

In use these lights are bright AF. They provide the overwhelming light intensity I was looking for and switching them on from the ceiling-mounted 25 amp switch makes me feel like a helicopter pilot every time. They don't seem to generate a worrisome amount of heat.

The lights I used: Exzeit "LML-5064B"

I want to make a few more tweaks to the bracket design, then I will probably have a batch made. I plan to send a few sets out for people to try.

These lights are an amazing value, but honestly I was hoping to find a good light pod from a well-known quality brand like KC HiLites or Baja Designs or Diode Dynamics. Maybe someone can do some research and find one that fits the criteria:
- 5 inch (127mm) outside diameter or a little less
- 3 in (76mm) total depth or less would be nice
- mount bosses near rear of light (not protruding from bottom)
- 120 Watts or more power rating is ideal

I hope to find another light model (or two) to design brackets for. If people don't mind losing the round bezel around the lights then there are lots of options that will work. There are some downsides to that, though.

If there is sufficient interest we might talk Stu into running a batch of these mounts and offering kits to forum members through the forum store.

Attachments

• 20240315_155054.jpg
    20240315_155054.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 236
  • 20240315_180921.jpg
    20240315_180921.jpg
    895.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 20240315_155037.jpg
    20240315_155037.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 224
  • 20240316_101617.jpg
    20240316_101617.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 227
  • Exzeit.jpg
    Exzeit.jpg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

archerwolf

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
That looks really clean. Those brackets are genius. Which switch did you end up wiring them to? I assume the 25amp under hood ? Ext5?

Please keep me in mind if you are looking for testers.

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:47 AM
Reaction score
Hi @BenTN
that really looks great…

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Those look great - I cannot speak for others, but non-round lights just won't look good IMO. Round lights are what gives the IG a unique look both front and rear.

NoMoTaco

Global Grenadier 0742
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@BenTN You can count me in as a tester! Im eager to change these out to something more "Meaningful" as you described above.

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Nice! Is there a way to aim them?

The prototype bracket I showed in the pics did not allow aiming, but I've already added slots to the next iteration to allow simple up/down aiming. There is not a convenient side/side aiming method but I suppose I could leave some extra allowance in the holes for that purpose. I can imagine that might be helpful for a light with spot or combo lenses.

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think I would like to fit halogen fog lights to combat snowy weather.

That's a really good point, and some of the bigger legacy brands (KC Hilites for one) have a nice selection of halogens. That could be a smart move in climates that regularly deal with slush-covered LED main headlights. Having dealt with that problem myself, I can see that having a self-heating light option (even if lower output than modern LED pod lights) could be a huge benefit.

If there is sufficient interest we could choose a halogen lamp and I would be happy to create a specific mount for it.

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'd certainly be interested in being a tester. Would be nice to be able to use those lights to really tell the oncoming traffic that their lights are either off and it is raining, snowing, etc or even better yet remind them that their high beams are on... And it is fricking day time.

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've attached a few more pics below showing:
- the various LED lights I experimented with (mostly PAR46 and a few pods)
- some install details
- the tight fit inside the grill light bucket
- the intensity of these new auxiliary lights compared to the headlights (hi beams)

I plan to install the next proto tomorrow then order a batch of brackets to send out. Thanks to everyone who volunteered to test them. I will DM people probably next week to figure out who is serious. I will ask you to source the lights yourself (~$80) and commit to installing the kit within a week of receipt. Your thoughtful feedback on the install process and any possible improvements is requested.

If anyone finds a good pod light candidate from a high-end light manufacturer, please message me. It would be great for people to have some choices.

@Stu_Barnes I wonder if you are following this. I think a bracket kit would be a great product for forum members, as it seems like there is a demand out there for a cost-effective upgrade path. Power(ful aux lights) to the people!

Attachments

• 20240316_102809.jpg
    20240316_102809.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 167
  • 20240316_102800.jpg
    20240316_102800.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 172
  • 20240313_193122.jpg
    20240313_193122.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 181
  • 20240316_112318.jpg
    20240316_112318.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 187

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:47 PM
Reaction score
I've attached a few more pics below showing:
- the various LED lights I experimented with (mostly PAR46 and a few pods)
- some install details
- the tight fit inside the grill light bucket
- the intensity of these new auxiliary lights compared to the headlights (hi beams)

I plan to install the next proto tomorrow then order a batch of brackets to send out. Thanks to everyone who volunteered to test them. I will DM people probably next week to figure out who is serious. I will ask you to source the lights yourself (~$80) and commit to installing the kit within a week of receipt. Your thoughtful feedback on the install process and any possible improvements is requested.

If anyone finds a good pod light candidate from a high-end light manufacturer, please message me. It would be great for people to have some choices.

@Stu_Barnes I wonder if you are following this. I think a bracket kit would be a great product for forum members, as it seems like there is a demand out there for a cost-effective upgrade path. Power(ful aux lights) to the people!
I'd like to have a set. I'm a huge fan of high intensity aux lights, having 4 Clearwaters on my BMW RT. They're "melt a Prius" bright.

Clearwater Super Sevina

Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Like many others I was disappointed in the stock aux. lights in the grill of my Grenadier. I'm sure there were various regulations that limited what could legally be mounted there from the factory, but the light output is just pointless. I don't think I would ever use them, especially with the hassle of putting the car in offroad mode first (I'm in North America).

I decided to find a way to mount a modern high-power pair of LEDs in the stock location, without the need to do any cutting of the grill. I've seen a few kits out there but they all have hefty price tags and require cutting. I don't want to hack up the front end of my car if I don't have to.

Turns out the aux. lights installed at the factory are a PAR46 style lamp, which is a standard 5.75in diameter light housing size. The Grenadier lights are a 7.4Watt lamp, which is literally 10% the power of many modern LED pod lights. No wonder they are useless. There are a million aftermarket headlights available in this PAR46 size, and plenty of them are LED. However the Grenadier aux lights feature a unique triple mount boss in the rear that snaps into some grommets in the grill buckets (plastic dish behind the lamps). There does not seem to be any other light available that will mount in this same way.

I considered fashioning a bracket that would secure a modern PAR46 lamp in there, but ultimately decided that I didn't really want a redundant set of headlights on the car. I wanted something more powerful like a off-road pod light. The problem is that 5in (127mm) is a slightly unusual size for round pod lights.

After way too much time searching I found a good candidate in a 5in round pod light rated 80W per lamp with a combo (spot + flood) lens. These rugged lights include wiring, nice sealed connectors, and relay as part of the package, all for an unbelievable $80 on Amazon. Note that this pair of lights draws >13 amps, so the standard ceiling-mounted 10 amp upfitter switches will not work directly, requiring a relay in the circuit to switch the high current.

After some measuring and CAD work, I created the sheetmetal bracket design shown in the pics attached here. This bracket secures the light pods at their designed attachment/aiming points, and bolts directly into the holes that mounted the original aux lights in the Grenadier grill bucket. No cutting required. Best of all the original bezel fits around these lights and attaches right back into place. The final result looks like it could have come from the factory, in my opinion.

View attachment 7848899

In use these lights are bright AF. They provide the overwhelming light intensity I was looking for and switching them on from the ceiling-mounted 25 amp switch makes me feel like a helicopter pilot every time. They don't seem to generate a worrisome amount of heat.

The lights I used: Exzeit "LML-5064B"

I want to make a few more tweaks to the bracket design, then I will probably have a batch made. I plan to send a few sets out for people to try.

These lights are an amazing value, but honestly I was hoping to find a good light pod from a well-known quality brand like KC HiLites or Baja Designs or Diode Dynamics. Maybe someone can do some research and find one that fits the criteria:
- 5 inch (127mm) outside diameter or a little less
- 3 in (76mm) total depth or less would be nice
- mount bosses near rear of light (not protruding from bottom)
- 120 Watts or more power rating is ideal

I hope to find another light model (or two) to design brackets for. If people don't mind losing the round bezel around the lights then there are lots of options that will work. There are some downsides to that, though.

If there is sufficient interest we might talk Stu into running a batch of these mounts and offering kits to forum members through the forum store.
Hi BenTN, Brilliant! I like the idea of no drill and the look of the round lights.
If you wire them up to EXT5, you don't need to be in off road mode to use them, correct?
DaBull

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Hi BenTN, Brilliant! I like the idea of no drill and the look of the round lights.
If you wire them up to EXT5, you don't need to be in off road mode to use them, correct?
DaBull
Yes.

Back
Top Bottom