The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Auxiliary Lights in the Grill - High Power LED light upgrade without any cutting

Which Light Brackets would you be willing to pre-order

• 1) Exzeit LML-5064B (160W total)

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • 2) KC Hilites Flex Era 4 (160W total)

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • 3) Diode Dynamics SS3 (80W total)

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 4) Clearwater Lights Super Sevina (140W total)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5) Clearwater Lights Dixi (200W total)

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:00 PM
Reaction score
Update on the forum community effort to develop even more options for mounting LEDs in the stock grill location:

We now have 5 different light sets in hand or on the way for testing.
- Diode Dynamics SS3 sent by @anand (in hand)
- KC Hilites Flex Era 4 sent by @Stu_Barnes (due later this week)
- Clearwater Super Sevina, courtesy of Glenn at Clearwater Lights (due this Fri)
- Clearwater Dixi, courtesy of Glenn at Clearwater Lights (due this Fri) [unlikely to fit in stock bezel]
- Exzeit LML-5064B (the first ones I installed)

I plan to start test fitting again late this week. I will send a report on progress when there is something interesting to show.

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:00 PM
Reaction score
Update on the forum community effort to develop even more options for mounting LEDs in the stock grill location:

We now have 5 different light sets in hand or on the way for testing.
- Diode Dynamics SS3 sent by @anand (in hand)
- KC Hilites Flex Era 4 sent by @Stu_Barnes (due later this week)
- Clearwater Super Sevina, courtesy of Glenn at Clearwater Lights (due this Fri)
- Clearwater Dixi, courtesy of Glenn at Clearwater Lights (due this Fri) [unlikely to fit in stock bezel]
- Exzeit LML-5064B (the first ones I installed)

I plan to start test fitting again late this week. I will send a report on progress when there is something interesting to show.
Amazing effort Ben and team!

CQ1

Local time
12:00 AM
Reaction score
Since I originally posted about this effort (Auxiliary light replacement with higher power LEDs) a few weeks ago, some new relevant products have been announced or have come to my attention. I thought I would collect the products I know about in one post so that people can see what is on the market now. Most of these were found by forum members and some have already been posted here in this thread. If you know of something that I have missed, please post it here.

Early entry in the market, a pair of small light bars (88-104W total) from Lazer Lamps (Triple-R) that requires cutting of the stock grill:
View attachment 7852380

VisionX lights (~100W total) with a bracket design similar to the ones that I made, does not seem to require cutting:
View attachment 7852381

Agile Off-Road integration of Baja Designs XL-R Pro lights "coming soon". Not many details have been announced about this kit but I am guessing there is no cutting required.
View attachment 7852382

ShadowMarq integration of KC Hilites Flex Era 4's said to be available "next month" per a post on Instagram. Appears to include a custom molded bezel. I assume no cutting required.
View attachment 7852383

Owl Outdoor (Owl Vans) has a vehicle with with Baja Designs LP4's installed. I don't have any info about this as a kit.
View attachment 7852385

And just for comparison, this fine integration is my amazon special. 160W total and retains the classic round look. No cutting.
View attachment 7852384

What did I miss?
Lazer Lamp 7" Sentinels Elite, a guy named Gregor McArthur on Facebook fitted them. No info on the mount... but it looks nice.

Attachments

• 431440342_2106109506437063_800105685746920240_n.jpg
    431440342_2106109506437063_800105685746920240_n.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 144

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Lazer Lamp 7" Sentinels Elite, a guy named Gregor McArthur on Facebook fitted them. No info on the mount... but it looks nice.
This is a great find. Early on I spent a lot of time staring at the empty grill after removing the stock Aux lights... imagining what could be made to fill in the gaps around a large light installed like this. Cool to see someone did it.

The trick here is that the stock round bezels hide some attachment features and other un-finished details in the molded grill. Leaving that area exposed is possible, but it's not pretty. Also, the round bezel is functional in that it retains and protects the ends of the chrome strips that are laid into the horizontal grill bars. This is not obvious, but I discovered that the chrome strips are fairly delicate and can be pulled out easily if the ends are exposed. I broke one just investigating their construction.

I was thinking about 3d-printing some trim pieces that would fill in the grill gaps and also retain the chrome strips, which appears to be what was done here. Long-term, this solution did not fit my goal of enabling people to swap these lights easily, since 8 different trim pieces are required.

I'd love to hear from the designer of this mod. Perhaps they would be willing to share the 3D print files here on the forum. It seems to be a nice execution of a larger light install.

Jörk

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:00 AM
Reaction score
Hello together
I am also very interested for better lights in the grill. In Germany we need to have a e number means registration for Europe.
Vision X has it and you can take different cups on the lights for fog, snow and so on. But the price! Around 1300€ bracket included isfor me to expensive. Without the bracket for Ineos the price in Europe is around 800€. This is acceptable. But the bracket?

Attachments

• IMG_2223.jpg
    IMG_2223.jpg
    766.5 KB · Views: 87

NixGrenadier2023

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:00 AM
Reaction score
This is a great find. Early on I spent a lot of time staring at the empty grill after removing the stock Aux lights... imagining what could be made to fill in the gaps around a large light installed like this. Cool to see someone did it.

The trick here is that the stock round bezels hide some attachment features and other un-finished details in the molded grill. Leaving that area exposed is possible, but it's not pretty. Also, the round bezel is functional in that it retains and protects the ends of the chrome strips that are laid into the horizontal grill bars. This is not obvious, but I discovered that the chrome strips are fairly delicate and can be pulled out easily if the ends are exposed. I broke one just investigating their construction.

I was thinking about 3d-printing some trim pieces that would fill in the grill gaps and also retain the chrome strips, which appears to be what was done here. Long-term, this solution did not fit my goal of enabling people to swap these lights easily, since 8 different trim pieces are required.

I'd love to hear from the designer of this mod. Perhaps they would be willing to share the 3D print files here on the forum. It seems to be a nice execution of a larger light install.
Hi BenTN, so I've been looking at my grill also... But haven't removed it. I hope I can NOT remove the complete grill, and simply remove the bezels and aux lights. Is this possible? Feeling behind the bezel, it looks like there are 4 screws into the plastic... Although difficult to access, it might be possible to unscrew them and remove the lights. Anyone have any comments?

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi BenTN, so I've been looking at my grill also... But haven't removed it. I hope I can NOT remove the complete grill, and simply remove the bezels and aux lights. Is this possible? Feeling behind the bezel, it looks like there are 4 screws into the plastic... Although difficult to access, it might be possible to unscrew them and remove the lights. Anyone have any comments?
It is not practical to remove the aux lights without almost removing the grill. The bezels attach with blind screws from the rear and removing them requires the grill to be loosened and tilted forward. Tilting is preferred, since full removal requires partial disassembly of the bumper.

The tilting procedure is fairly well documented at the link below. I've done it a few times now and can get through the entire process in about 10 mins. Allow 30min the first time. You will need plastic panel removal tools for the hood (bonnet) seal clips and to pop off the fender (wing) fronts. Take your time and make little piles of the fasteners, since there are a number of different sizes and lengths. Mixing them up can cause issues during re-assembly.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb-1V2pVd3Y

NixGrenadier2023

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:00 AM
Reaction score
It is not practical to remove the aux lights without almost removing the grill. The bezels attach with blind screws from the rear and removing them requires the grill to be loosened and tilted forward. Tilting is preferred, since full removal requires partial disassembly of the bumper.

The tilting procedure is fairly well documented at the link below. I've done it a few times now and can get through the entire process in about 10 mins. Allow 30min the first time. You will need plastic panel removal tools for the hood (bonnet) seal clips and to pop off the fender (wing) fronts. Take your time and make little piles of the fasteners, since there are a number of different sizes and lengths. Mixing them up can cause issues during re-assembly.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb-1V2pVd3Y
Thanks for the reply. I had seen the Lazer video a while back, but was hoping that the reason they did a complete removal was because they had to chop the grill anyway. I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the aux lights can't be removed without removing the grill, just not how I would have designed the Grenadier if Ineos had asked for my input!

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Lots of progress since my last update a couple weeks ago!

I received all of the sample lights for test fitting in the grill of my Grenadier. In addition, I (well OK actually a co-worker) scanned some of the LED podlights, and we also scanned the aux light bucket in the vehicle grill. The grill had to be sprayed with white powder to make the dull black plastic show up properly for the laser scanner. Other podlights and the round bezel were more easily measured by hand.

20240309_105115.jpg

Scanning the Bucket.jpg

This bracket design task could be tackled by making cardboard mockups and iterating prototypes until it all fits. However I do a lot of product design work in CAD so for me it was most convenient to get everything scanned/measured and modeled and assembled together on the computer, then do bracket design in this environment. It's a good strategy when you have complex shapes (like cast pod light housings and molded grill buckets) interacting in tight spaces and you can't see clearly how everything is fitting together. Image below shows a cross-section of the CAD model with bezel (partial) to the left and the scanned grill bucket to the right. You can see that the podlight housing protrudes through the mount bracket in order to sink the light into the bezel as deeply as possible.

Sevina Cross-Section.jpg

This photo shows all of the lights with their prototype (3D-printed) brackets. Forgive the yellow color...final brackets will be black.

All 5 Lights.jpg

Top to bottom they are:
1- Exzeit
2- KC Hilites
3- Diode Dynamics
4- Clearwater Super Sevina
5- Clearwater Dixi

My next post will break each of these down in some detail.

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This post contains a breakdown of the 5 lights I worked with, with pros & cons (as I see it) to help clarify the differences between options.

1) Exzeit LML-5064B (160W total)
US$80/pair
Pros: cost/availability, classic round shape fits grill bezel, high output
Cons: off-brand manufacturer (quality unknown), single lens/beam selection

20240315_155037.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-09 202402.jpg

This is the option that has been tested in actual use with metal brackets on my car. I am thrilled with the result given the modest investment. I think this simple round shape looks great in the grill.

Light pods are available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083NMF64M/?tag=globalgrena0b-20

Verdict: I plan to order a few sets of these brackets to distribute to early adopters. Will order more if interest is there. Should be sending them out by mid-May.

2) KC Hilites Flex Era 4 (160W total)
US$650/pair
Pros: established manufacturer, modern style, high output, changeable lenses
Cons: squared shape does not match round vehicle bezel, protrudes forward of bezel due to depth

20240421_091411.jpg 20240421_091407.jpg

20240422_134217.jpg FE4.gif

This is a high-quality light and a great fit. Fit-up sample lights were provided by Mr. @Stu_Barnes himself.

Verdict: Stu plans to order a few sets of these brackets to distribute to early adopters. We will order more if interest is there. We should be sending them out by mid-May.

3) Diode Dynamics SS3 (80W total)
US$500/pair (lower also available)
Pros: established manufacturer, modern style, very compact, sits back within round bezel
Cons: not very powerful, does not fill bezel, wire exit location results in sharp bend at bucket

20240414_085352.jpg 20240414_085848.jpg

SS3.gif

Verdict: Not yet sure if there is sufficient interest in this light to justify ordering metal brackets for further testing.

4) Clearwater Lights Super Sevina (140W total)
US$1269/pair
Pros: classic round shape matches bezel, high output
Cons: expensive, fitment is still in development, does not quite fill round bezel, will require a hole drilled in grill bucket for wire clearance

I didn't get any good pics of test fitting this one on the vehicle, so here is CAD and a gif to look at. This light's basic style is the same as the Dixi, below. But this one can be recessed back into the bezel better.

Sevina Cross-Section.jpg SevinaCAD.gif

Clearwater is enthusiastic about supporting this community with a high-end solution. The sample light I received from them for mockup was not functional and did not include a couple features needed for final evaluation. I will try to stay on them to keep this moving forward.

Verdict: I think this is a great future option. I will continue to work with Clearwater and any early adopters that want to help us proceed.

5) Clearwater Lights Dixi (200W total)
US$1369/pair
Pros: this thing is an absolute unit, VERY powerful, classic round shape matches bezel perfectly
Cons: expensive, fitment is still in development, will require a hole drilled in grill bucket for wire clearance

NOTE: photos below show empty podlight shell without LEDs or lenses

Dixi Installed-1.jpg Dixi flush.jpg
Dixi in bezel.jpg Dixi_CAD_with_Grill.gif

Clearwater is enthusiastic about supporting this community with an ultra high-end solution using this large light. The sample unit I received from them for mockup was not functional and did not include all features needed for evaluation. I plan to keep this moving forward because I might install this light on my own vehicle when it is all sorted.

Verdict: I think the Dixi is a great future option. I will continue to work with Clearwater and any early adopters that want to help us proceed.

A special thank you to @Stu_Barnes , @anand , @IG_in_AZ , @BoiseIdaho , @DaBull , @Tom109 , @nmoeder , @stickshifter , and others for their help behind the scenes.

The next step is to decide how many metal bracket kits we order. This will be influenced by the community response here on the forum. I will help get the components on order, and Stu will provide worldwide distribution via the forum store (just like we did with the reverse camera light shrouds). My wild guess is that the bracket kits will be sold for ~$150 with hardware. You order the lights separately yourself.

So let Stu know with your comments; which option would you want to see available thru the forum store?

Last edited:

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:00 PM
Reaction score
Very well done! 👏
And to those who supported behind the scenes.
Much effort done for the IG community.

Is there a certain bracket which could possibly be used for more than one type of light?

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is there a certain bracket which could possibly be used for more than one type of light?

At this point I don't see a way to make a truly universal bracket.

However, there are some 3in to 4in diameter lights that come with a mount bracket that could be pivoted towards the grill such that they could be "wall" mounted. We could then make a completely flat mount plate that attaches inside the grill aux light buckets. This would allow someone to drill their own holes and mount a pod light such as this. If people are interested (and find some candidate lights) I could explore that.

Last edited:

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:00 PM
Reaction score
This post contains a breakdown of the 5 lights I worked with, with pros & cons (as I see it) to help clarify the differences between options.

1) Exzeit LML-5064B (160W total)
US$80/pair
Pros: cost/availability, classic round shape fits grill bezel, high output
Cons: off-brand manufacturer (quality unknown), single lens/beam selection

View attachment 7854129

View attachment 7854130

This is the option that has been tested in actual use with metal brackets on my car. I am thrilled with the result given the modest investment. I think this simple round shape looks great in the grill.

Light pods are available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083NMF64M/?tag=globalgrena0b-20

Verdict: I plan to order a few sets of these brackets to distribute to early adopters. Will order more if interest is there. Should be sending them out by mid-May.

2) KC Hilites Flex Era 4 (160W total)
US$650/pair
Pros: established manufacturer, modern style, high output, changeable lenses
Cons: squared shape does not match round vehicle bezel, protrudes forward of bezel due to depth

View attachment 7854132 View attachment 7854133

View attachment 7854131 View attachment 7854138

This is a high-quality light and a great fit. Fit-up sample lights were provided by Mr. @Stu_Barnes himself.

Verdict: Stu plans to order a few sets of these brackets to distribute to early adopters. We will order more if interest is there. We should be sending them out by mid-May.

3) Diode Dynamics SS3 (80W total)
US$500/pair (lower also available)
Pros: established manufacturer, modern style, very compact, sits back within round bezel
Cons: not very powerful, does not fill bezel, wire exit location results in sharp bend at bucket

View attachment 7854135 View attachment 7854136

View attachment 7854137

Verdict: Not yet sure if there is sufficient interest in this light to justify ordering metal brackets for further testing.

4) Clearwater Lights Super Sevina (140W total)
US$1269/pair
Pros: classic round shape matches bezel, high output
Cons: expensive, fitment is still in development, does not quite fill round bezel, will require a hole drilled in grill bucket for wire clearance

I didn't get any good pics of test fitting this one on the vehicle, so here is CAD and a gif to look at. This light's basic style is the same as the Dixi, below. But this one can be recessed back into the bezel better.

View attachment 7854160 View attachment 7854139

Clearwater is enthusiastic about supporting this community with a high-end solution. The sample light I received from them for mockup was not functional and did not include a couple features needed for final evaluation. I will try to stay on them to keep this moving forward.

Verdict: I think this is a great future option. I will continue to work with Clearwater and any early adopters that want to help us proceed.

5) Clearwater Lights Dixi (200W total)
US$1369/pair
Pros: this thing is an absolute unit, VERY powerful, classic round shape matches bezel perfectly
Cons: expensive, fitment is still in development, will require a hole drilled in grill bucket for wire clearance

NOTE: photos below show empty podlight shell without LEDs or lenses

View attachment 7854140 View attachment 7854141
View attachment 7854142 View attachment 7854143

Clearwater is enthusiastic about supporting this community with an ultra high-end solution using this large light. The sample unit I received from them for mockup was not functional and did not include all features needed for evaluation. I plan to keep this moving forward because I might install this light on my own vehicle when it is all sorted.

Verdict: I think the Dixi is a great future option. I will continue to work with Clearwater and any early adopters that want to help us proceed.

A special thank you to @Stu_Barnes , @anand , @IG_in_AZ , @BoiseIdaho , @DaBull , @Tom109 , @nmoeder , @stickshifter , and others for their help behind the scenes.

The next step is to decide how many metal bracket kits we order. This will be influenced by the community response here on the forum. I will help get the components on order, and Stu will provide worldwide distribution via the forum store (just like we did with the reverse camera light shrouds). My wild guess is that the bracket kits will be sold for ~$150 with hardware. You order the lights separately yourself.

So let Stu know with your comments; which option would you want to see available thru the forum store?
Fantastic work and a big thank you to you. For me, the Exzeit LML-5064B are my favourite.

Back
Top Bottom