The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Trialmaster v. Station Wagon (w/options)

CJV

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:05 AM
Reaction score
I ran two configurations; one a stock Trialmaster; and, the other a Station wagon with all the Trialmaster off-road options EXCEPT the raised air intake (which I do not need or like the look of) and the auxilarry power and PTO. The price of Trailamster was only $1,745 more than the Station Wagon as configured. The auxilary battery is nice, but it will need to be replaced ieventtully and seems like something that could be added after the fact. It does not appear that the raised air intake can be easily removed without having to plug holes on the body. Looking for compelling advice for either configuration. - Chris

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:05 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for doing this for us. I hadn't yet...
In regards of removing the raised air intake, we will see what owners can provide.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I ran two configurations; one a stock Trialmaster; and, the other a Station wagon with all the Trialmaster off-road options EXCEPT the raised air intake (which I do not need or like the look of) and the auxilarry power and PTO. The price of Trailamster was only $1,745 more than the Station Wagon as configured. The auxilary battery is nice, but it will need to be replaced ieventtully and seems like something that could be added after the fact. It does not appear that the raised air intake can be easily removed without having to plug holes on the body. Looking for compelling advice for either configuration. - Chris
Hi Chris, here in Germany I had no choice but to take the Trialmaster. I didn't want the raised air intake or the ladder. But there was/is not yet a comparably equipped vehicle without these two options. It should probably come at a later date.
But I will not dismantle the air intake and the ladder has actually already been used.

CJV

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Chris, here in Germany I had no choice but to take the Trialmaster. I didn't want the raised air intake or the ladder. But there was/is not yet a comparably equipped vehicle without these two options. It should probably come at a later date.
But I will not dismantle the air intake and the ladder has actually already been used.
Thank you, Rovie.

Local time
9:05 AM
Reaction score
There are blanking plates fitted to the A pillar on non RAI vehicles so if you take it off you can plug the mounting holes . The extra wiring for the second battery is worth it huge cross section and bus bar fuses and covered by the warranty .

GrumpyBastard

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I did the same, built the base model as I wanted which ended up a mix between the other 2 trims. I don’t see the point in getting overly attached to the “models,” as nothing really changes from what I can tell. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

carlg007

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
I did the same, built the base model as I wanted which ended up a mix between the other 2 trims. I don’t see the point in getting overly attached to the “models,” as nothing really changes from what I can tell. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
I did the same as you but you are leaving out the "Jacket" that comes with the other models!

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
British clothing does not fit me, and like others posting above, there are features I simply did not want. At least in the early pre-order days you could select/deselect any item when configuring the Station Wagon. So I did...

GrumpyBastard

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This thread intrigues me now. Has something changed to the point where you can’t essentially tweak any model to be exactly what you want? Also, is the rear seat positioned differently on the various models for the US market? There’s a thread on here regarding repositioning the rear seat to be the same as a trialmaster… very curious.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Also, is the rear seat positioned differently on the various models for the US market? There’s a thread on here regarding repositioning the rear seat to be the same as a trialmaster… very curious.
That is for global vehicles that are sold as "commercial" ("N1") vehicles; the US does not get that model, and thus all of our seats are in the same location

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:05 AM
Reaction score
This thread intrigues me now. Has something changed to the point where you can’t essentially tweak any model to be exactly what you want? Also, is the rear seat positioned differently on the various models for the US market? There’s a thread on here regarding repositioning the rear seat to be the same as a trialmaster… very curious.
No you can't tweak a Trial or Fieldmaster any way you want. I tried that since I wanted all the off road stuff but not the air tower. You can't simply remove that item from a preconfigured model. I had to cancel and start over with a basic station wagon and build to suit.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:05 AM
Reaction score
Hi GrumpyBastard, (Hey my wife calls me that too!) You can start off with the base Station Wagon or Fieldmaster or Trialmaster and then you can add and subtract almost every option to make almost identical vehicles. There are however a few things you can't change. if you choose the Trialmaster, you can not delete the raised air intake or if you choose the Fieldmaster you have no wheel/rim choices at all except for the one alloy choice they show. If your looking to keep the price down, then perhaps start with the Station Wagon and just add the few things most important to you. If you want more items, then perhaps pick either the Fieldmaster or the Trialmaster and add and subtract options to fit your need. If you are trying to decide between having a second battery or premium sound, I would choose the second battery as it is much easier to add a
sub-woofer later than to try and add the second battery later. If you choose the Station Wagon you will not get the free, (nothings free), Belstaff Jacket that comes for free with the Fieldmaster and Trailmaster. Not sure I will be wearing it much in sunny California. I think everyone agrees that it is fantastic that Ineos set it up that no matter where you start with any of the 3 builds, you can end up with any one of them being virtually identical. All US vehicles only have the Petrol engine. For me I choose the Trialmaster with most options, however will likely pull off the raised air intake and put a blanking plate on it. For me, the one must have are the Safari Windows as they are Cool & Bitchin, (I am dating myself here, however I have earned it at 71).
Have fun on their configurator.
DaBull

Bigstein

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I did my build based on the wagon. Like you described I built it up with exactly what I wanted, and am happy with it. I did not like or want the air intake, so only option was to make it my own. Wouldn't do it any other way now that I have everything I want and none of the other fluff that I did not want.

GrumpyBastard

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi GrumpyBastard, (Hey my wife calls me that too!) You can start off with the base Station Wagon or Fieldmaster or Trialmaster and then you can add and subtract almost every option to make almost identical vehicles. There are however a few things you can't change. if you choose the Trialmaster, you can not delete the raised air intake or if you choose the Fieldmaster you have no wheel/rim choices at all except for the one alloy choice they show. If your looking to keep the price down, then perhaps start with the Station Wagon and just add the few things most important to you. If you want more items, then perhaps pick either the Fieldmaster or the Trialmaster and add and subtract options to fit your need. If you are trying to decide between having a second battery or premium sound, I would choose the second battery as it is much easier to add a
sub-woofer later than to try and add the second battery later. If you choose the Station Wagon you will not get the free, (nothings free), Belstaff Jacket that comes for free with the Fieldmaster and Trailmaster. Not sure I will be wearing it much in sunny California. I think everyone agrees that it is fantastic that Ineos set it up that no matter where you start with any of the 3 builds, you can end up with any one of them being virtually identical. All US vehicles only have the Petrol engine. For me I choose the Trialmaster with most options, however will likely pull off the raised air intake and put a blanking plate on it. For me, the one must have are the Safari Windows as they are Cool & Bitchin, (I am dating myself here, however I have earned it at 71).
Have fun on their configurator.
DaBull
Oh, we’re way beyond all that… my gren should be arriving for delivery soon (but didn’t see it when I drove past my dealer this morning…) I did indeed just add what I wanted to the “base model.” No raised intake, no safari windows. Definitely regretting the “premium audio” after learning that it’s nothing more than a sub $200 sub, but I have no need for the second battery option, so whatever. I think the defining characteristic here is Grenadier; trialmaster, fieldmaster, whatever are pretty irrelevant, and I highly doubt those model names or trims or whatever are going to have any effect on retained value.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The whole Belstaff thing seems really low key, especially here where knowledge of the company and any cultural heritage affinity are nonexistent. It doesn’t seem to garner much passion elsewhere either based on conversations here.

Stu and I are in agreement that perhaps IA will push the Belstaff name when a higher end “luxury” type vehicle is made for the states. Unofficially Ford was working with Filson (a crazy expensive brand) on upscale editions.

I know that SJR owns Belstaff and the story behind that, but I think pairing with more well know adventure brands would garner more interest in ”those” editions. I’m not sure which brands have solid global recognition, but companies like Pategonia, Mountain Hardwear, The North Face, etc. would draw more interest from a certain segment of the consumer base.

Stateside we’ve had vehicles team with American companies like Eddie Bauer (Ford), LL Bean (Suby), and even Levi’s (Jeep/AMC). These editions were typically the top-end spec of their respective models and probably had the highest profit margins.

Last edited:

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I started with the station wagon and added on what I wanted. Like others, I ended up with a hybrid of the two models but it was exactly what I wanted.
I did the same, started with base and added up. My brother ordered a Trialmaster at the same time and we had reserved at the same time. Our dealer (plug for Red Nolan because their communication has been amazing) has told us that they are expected to deliver soon and at the same time. Our builds are very close and there was a slight price advantage to the Trialmaster (I did not want the RAI for my location).

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I did my build both ways and it was about a 500 difference going with the trialmaster vs building up from base. I would have preferred no RAI but no big deal. Either Ineos will eventually make the plates available or someone will come up with a print for them. Can't wait to wear my Belstaff Jacket if it makes me look like a hot English guy as shown on the website. I hear it is quite slimming.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I did my build both ways and it was about a 500 difference going with the trialmaster vs building up from base. I would have preferred no RAI but no big deal. Either Ineos will eventually make the plates available or someone will come up with a print for them. Can't wait to wear my Belstaff Jacket if it makes me look like a hot English guy as shown on the website. I hear it is quite slimming.
I would not be surprised if someone without the RAI might want to swap with you.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
At this price point, and with IA’s ordering flexibility, it makes sense to buy exactly what you want. Aside from my other options, I went SW without RAI, Safari’s and BFG.

Back
Top Bottom