The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Removing raised intake

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:07 PM
Reaction score
I which you had said earlier, I would have ordered without the RAI and happily swapped my side panel for your RAI…
That could actually be something people would be interested in - people who do not want the TM RAI that is undeletable swapping with people who would like the RAI.

Local time
3:07 PM
Reaction score
Just noticed this - Based on the fact that the RAI as an "accessory" (according to the pricing sheeting), then it must be easily swappable. Hopefully, it is "dealer installed", in which case we can ask that it not be installed prior to delivery.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:07 PM
Reaction score
The ones currently coming off transporters from the factory appear to have them already fitted:
fa686849-f45d-4db5-ab52-d76b074f1676.JPG

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I notice the cyclonic air filter is only for off-road use so I guess that’s real easy to swap over. Couple of screws or hose clamp type of affair🤔

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think it's a 20 tonne crane and a detailed lifting plan. 😜
To be fair it does look big and cumbersome. When I initially ordered I had wanted the cyclone filter but it looks hideous for everyday use. As an easily swappable option I may be interestep in the future for desert trips. A friend of mine had one on his landcruiser when we were in Morocco and it certainly worked well. I was cleaning a clogged air filter at the end of everyday on my defender

Local time
9:07 PM
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused as to why the RAI is not ideal... can you clarify?

The RAI is fine, even more so if it comes with a cyclone as standard. The position of the intake without RAI is very poorly thought out, just look at the picture, a lot of that sand will be drawn into the air filter, which then clogs up in no time. Same goes for dust and other small bits flying around when the wheel is spinning.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The RAI is fine, even more so if it comes with a cyclone as standard. The position of the intake without RAI is very poorly thought out, just look at the picture, a lot of that sand will be drawn into the air filter, which then clogs up in no time. Same goes for dust and other small bits flying around when the wheel is spinning.
Isnt that where the old defender intake was? or was that a fake vent? never owned one but always wondered

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Isn’t the standard air intake in a similar position as on Ford rangers and Landrover vehicles also.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Isnt that where the old defender intake was? or was that a fake vent? never owned one but always wondered
Yes my 2014 defender had the air intake In the same position. Fine for most conditions but put a RAI if operating in dusty conditions 👍🏼

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:07 AM
Reaction score
Cyclonic is optional (and for off-road use only).

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The cyclone is an optional extra and fits onto the existing raised air intake.
Says it is for offroad use only but maybe that is because it is so damned ugly
My vehicle as configured with RAI and then if I had optioned the cyclone for another $630

1680212839684.png

1680212798630.png

Attachments

• 1680212664538.png
    1680212664538.png
    687.5 KB · Views: 16

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I asked IA a while back about adding the RAI as an accessory at a later time.

They said yes and easy to instal (e.g. I could do it)
They just put blanking plugs over the mounting points when not supplied
So no drilling or cutting into the metalwork required like most 4WD's

1680214472202.png

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They just put blanking plugs over the mounting points when not supplied
So no drilling or cutting into the metalwork required like most 4WD's

View attachment 7807397
I wonder if it will be that simple\quick to mount\remove the RAI - that I put it on when I do an off road trip and remove it when I get home

Local time
9:07 PM
Reaction score
The cyclone is an optional extra and fits onto the existing raised air intake.
Says it is for offroad use only but maybe that is because it is so damned ugly
My vehicle as configured with RAI and then if I had optioned the cyclone for another $630

View attachment 7807389

View attachment 7807388

My god, that is terrible..probably the ugliest out there. They should have taken a closer look at the original G Wagen.

Cyclone was standard equipment ex works and is invisible from the outside, mounted in the engine bay, where it's supposed to be on a utility 4x4.

The little red element shows the saturation - that was optional though, about €40,- at the time..:)

There are much neater inline units at half the cost you mention out there, Mann+Hummel and Donaldson make them.

Attachments

• airfilter.461.jpg
    airfilter.461.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Mann.IqoronV.jpg
    Mann.IqoronV.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’d been told by ineos-
definitely not dealer fit, or easy to de-instal after delivery.

i’d not be surprised if the air intake for non-rai cars is under the bonnet, not from the side of the front quarterpanel. no reason to have that long plastic air path shown in the factory pics in this thread, that would make no sense.
the cyclone they provide is for mines, not dusty overland roads. Makes sense in that context.

main reason to de-option rai for me was if it impeded view for driver, rhd. It doesnt. I can live with the look, and a bit more wind noise at speed.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Something else everyone needs to take into account, is the sweet induction noise the RAI will provide under acceleration... that's a winning reason to keep it on

Back
Top Bottom