The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

None commercial version of the station wagon?

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:06 PM
Reaction score
I may drive my N1 Ute here in Germany like any other 'normal' car since it is not used commercially.

I wonder how the table linked above applies to me if I drive my German N1 in England?
In the U.K. it’s the vehicle that has the restricted speed limit. If it’s N1 registered and the other criteria apply such as over a certain weight then the speed limits will apply. My Grenadier will be used for my own private purposes ie.hauling logs out of the woods carrying tools etc plus commuting, but mainly for travelling. As far as I’m aware the restricted speed limits apply to me , but other than that I will drive as a normal car.
I assume this applies to you also if your vehicle is N1 registered. Hope this helps.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In the U.K. it’s the vehicle that has the restricted speed limit. If it’s N1 registered and the other criteria apply such as over a certain weight then the speed limits will apply.
Yes, remembering that there's criteria that apply to N1 vehicles that also put them outside of the lower speed limit ~ hence N1 Defender double cabs are the upper speed limit.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, remembering that there's criteria that apply to N1 vehicles that also put them outside of the lower speed limit ~ hence N1 Defender double cabs are the upper speed limit.
Yes my Defender DCPU was classed as dual purpose. Under 2040kg I think in basic spec. Well at least I think that’s what the criteria is for double cab 4x4s. We’ll soon know I guess if some people in N1 Grenadiers start getting speeding fines.
One of our contractors was fined last year for doing 70 on a dual carriageway in his transit van 👍🏼

Local time
11:06 PM
Reaction score
I asked the Bulgarian dealer about ordering the Utility version (N1) for VAT-reclaim reasons and then moving the rear seats backwards to the "Station Wagon position" with 7 cm more legroom. They enquired with Ineos and their answer was "Yes, this is technically possible, however moving the rear seats and removing the metal divider will make the 5-year warranty void." I assume it will be similar in all EU countries. And unfortunately I will have to cancel my order and wait for the pick-up version or eventually a 7-seater which allows VAT-reclaim and has sufficient legroom for rear-seat passengers.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They enquired with Ineos and their answer was "Yes, this is technically possible, however moving the rear seats and removing the metal divider will make the 5-year warranty void."

I'm pretty certain there's someone at Ineos HQ banging their head against a wall if you were told this.

Deepblue

#00274 - Swiss Vehicle (SD1-1/63)
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:06 PM
Reaction score
I asked the Bulgarian dealer about ordering the Utility version (N1) for VAT-reclaim reasons and then moving the rear seats backwards to the "Station Wagon position" with 7 cm more legroom. They enquired with Ineos and their answer was "Yes, this is technically possible, however moving the rear seats and removing the metal divider will make the 5-year warranty void." I assume it will be similar in all EU countries. And unfortunately I will have to cancel my order and wait for the pick-up version or eventually a 7-seater which allows VAT-reclaim and has sufficient legroom for rear-seat passengers.
I read this as IA statement “we do not officially encourage / support / appreciate clients buying a N1 rated vehicle and then change to something that legally would no longer be considered a N1 type.”
If they would support this they could be accused of not playing by the rules. If client do this on their own IA can’t be blamed.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
moving the rear seats and removing the metal divider will make the 5-year warranty void.
I don't think this would stand up to legal scrutiny.

froggy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m going for same model. 2 seat commercial plus rough pack , smooth pack etc. not for commercial use. Apparently some ANPR cameras can pick you up for speeding in commercials vehicles. Just hope you get caught before me , so you can warn me to stick to 60mph on dual carriageways 👍🏼😂. I think the cops must be having a bad day if they start differentiating between M1 and N1 Grenadiers regarding speeding fines.
You would have thought Ineos would let you order what suits UK,at least in France they have. I have a 2 seat Trialmaster with leather and sunroofs.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You would have thought Ineos would let you order what suits UK,at least in France they have. I have a 2 seat Trialmaster with leather and sunroofs.
Yes a two seat Trialmaster would have been ideal. But sadly not an option in the U.K. so I have to take an N1 (commercial) version and build up to the spec I required. It’s just annoying about the speed limits for N1 Grenadiers. I suppose I can’t have it all always at least I benefit from lower road tax.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:06 PM
Reaction score
Yes a two seat Trialmaster would have been ideal. But sadly not an option in the U.K. so I have to take an N1 (commercial) version and build up to the spec I required. It’s just annoying about the speed limits for N1 Grenadiers. I suppose I can’t have it all always at least I benefit from lower road tax.
Since there are “regular” and commercial IGs, how would a cop know which one you’re in to pull you over if you were exceeding the commercial speed limit?

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Since there are “regular” and commercial IGs, how would a cop know which one you’re in to pull you over if you were exceeding the commercial speed limit?
ANPR cameras. (automatic number plate recognition ) in wide use now on fixed and mobile cameras in police vehicles unfortunately

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I can imagine it being a nightmare when trying to pull out from certain junctions.
I was referring to the Defender silhouette in general, being truly iconic. Never get bored of its looks.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It was!

I still loved it though, although I liked the DCPU better..

Attachments

• B9810E9B-2841-40D5-81C1-AF0F2628A73A.jpeg
    B9810E9B-2841-40D5-81C1-AF0F2628A73A.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 7

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
On that note I wish Ineos had done a DCPU chassis cab in the standard wheel base. A tray could extend a foot or so over the rear crossmember and it would still be a useful load area.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Those speed limits only apply on non motorway dual carriageways though... most of which around here aren't suited to more than 60mph anyway.... its still 70mph on the motorway, and lets face it, everyone in the fast lane is doing 85 anyway!

Theres only a handful of A roads that you'd feel restricted on, but even then i guarantee you'll get overtaken by a transit hi-top doing 95!

cmcwilliam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just received the email about the increase in UK tax and was surprised to see it say that I have ordered a commercial vehicle! News to me...

I ordered an age ago and at the time, the 5 seater station wagon was listed as a domestic vehicle - not a commercial one (I can't use the tax break and I do want the leg room and the 70 mph.)

I see they have changed that now and if you want a domestic vehicle you have to order the fancy versions for £££ extra. So it seems that IA may have "recategorised" my car (from domestic to commercial) without telling me!

I wondered if others are in the same situation?

Craig

Back
Top Bottom