The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rivian shows dark side of software updates

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:05 AM
Reaction score
From the company: “This is on us – we messed up. … In most cases, the rest of the vehicle systems are still operational. A vehicle reset or sleep cycle will not solve the issue.”

Rivian updated their customers’ vehicles OTA (over the air) while they sat innocently in customers’ driveways. I hope this is not a capability of INEOS.

I share this here because I know, with all the software bugs that INEOS owners are experiencing, we probably look forward to software updates. But they can backfire. Ideally this happens at a dealer who notices right away, but some updates still cannot be rolled back to a previous version easily. (Like this Rivian fuckup.) So there your vehicle sits. Ouch.

Solution? IMO, vehicles with fewer features and sensors and control systems that need software in the first place. I know this is what INEOS claims they’re already doing.

It will be interesting to see if the Next Gen Grenadier will increase or decrease the amount of software features and sensors and control. Imagine a future where each subsequent model year got simpler and more reliable. Lol?

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
If an Ineos software update bricks your infotainment system and you have a dummy spit, then you should return your vehicle immediately so a more deserving customer can have it.

On the other hand, it it bricks off-road mode...

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

It will be interesting to see if the Next Gen Grenadier will increase or decrease the amount of software features and sensors and control. Imagine a future where each subsequent model year got simpler and more reliable. Lol?
I dont think we are going to see a lot of meaning to the term ‘year model’ with Grenadier. There will be changes, mostly driven by legislation, that will always act to add systems for safety or emissions. They may adjust the engineering or components occasionally, but not so much with the refreshed look, or upgraded whatevers….
could be wrong, but we’ll see😄

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
One reason to get the first edition of the Grenadier is to get the software sorted , and avoid any future sensors/legislation/OTA and other nasties resulting in an electronic failure to proceed.
It won't get simpler!

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From the company: “This is on us – we messed up. … In most cases, the rest of the vehicle systems are still operational. A vehicle reset or sleep cycle will not solve the issue.”

Rivian updated their customers’ vehicles OTA (over the air) while they sat innocently in customers’ driveways. I hope this is not a capability of INEOS.

I share this here because I know, with all the software bugs that INEOS owners are experiencing, we probably look forward to software updates. But they can backfire. Ideally this happens at a dealer who notices right away, but some updates still cannot be rolled back to a previous version easily. (Like this Rivian fuckup.) So there your vehicle sits. Ouch.

Solution? IMO, vehicles with fewer features and sensors and control systems that need software in the first place. I know this is what INEOS claims they’re already doing.

I understand the Australian agents at least are getting some spare ECUs in stock before they roll out the full update, just in case any get bricked in the process.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:05 AM
Reaction score
My understanding is the IG can not do OTA. Updates will be done via tumbdrive or wired connection into the car. Both requires permission from the owner.

Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
That is the last thing I would want in any vehicle, being constantly connected to the interweb and having over the air updates or unknown changes to the vehicle. OTA updates and vehicle monitoring will have further implications in the near future.
As a side note take a look at the new Infrastructure Investment Jobs bill section 24220 currently quietly going through in the U.S senate and congress. Is this the internet of things future we can expect?

Back
Top Bottom