The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Initial Reactions After Delivery

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
I lowered the pressures as well. Softened the ride a touch, but did not change the handling that I could notice.
Driving on a gravel road for 30 minutes made the world of difference for me.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:51 PM
Reaction score
I picked up my Trialmaster this week, and like so many, have initial reactions to many elements of the vehicle. Let me begin by saying I am often a new adopter of a vehicle/model and have experience with being in that guinea pig category. I currently have a Rivian R1T Launch Edition and sold a Bronco (Day 1 order) to make room for the IG. The look of the Ineos is spectacular and gets a bunch of interest in parking lots. I'm very impressed with the walk around - gaps are good and everything aside from one little trim piece is sorted.

Picking up my vehicle in Houston to make the drive home to Austin meant I was off the dealer lot and onto an interstate at high speeds right off the bat. My initial reactions were that the seats are very comfortable, ride is solid, and surprisingly quiet at 80+ mph. What I didn't like was that the vehicle did not want to track in a lane - and I mean at all. I had seen/read all of the steering related comments mainly on the steering rack turns and lack of center return. I've lived with older off road vehicles with rod/ball steering plenty over the years, but this time I was looking for trees and flags to tell me that a storm was blowing through and the winds were high. My opinion is that there's a difference in going to a throwback, low-sensitivity steering solution and one that seems to have a couple of degrees dead zone when steering is centered. You wait for it to drift and then you bring it back. This is a more substantial issue if you're going to be logging any real highway miles at today's highway speeds. Tires are new, pressures can be adjusted, etc., but do those without KO2's have it a little bit better? I did just read that there's a recall due to loose attachments on the steering balls - fingers crossed that's not me.

The engine and transmission are more than capable. Bronco has more grunt but I don't see this as a drawback on the Grenadier to any large degree. The back seats have a great deal of room, much better than many of the newer off roading vehicles with entry and egress much easier. I'm very pleased with the materials used to this point. Only time will tell how they hold up.

On that initial drive I was wondering how I missed the IG didn't have blind spot technology in the run up to delivery. I think this is pretty low hanging fruit as far as cars go and I'd guess this is the most expensive vehicle in production without it. Coupled with the invasive nanny warnings with other systems in the vehicle, why leave this one out? The mirrors could be a bit bigger and my driving position actually maxes out the driver mirrors adjustment to the left. All of that being said, I actually find the visibility to be decent, rear windows being the exception.

Let's talk about the rear windows and doors! I love the door set up. Yeah, the 30% could probably be 35% since visibility wasn't considered, but I have tossed multiple things into the smaller door over the few days I've had the vehicle. I was parked on a decent side hill at the grocery store and the larger door stayed right where I had placed it while loading bags into the back. I need to find a little sack to place the tie down loops when not in use because they are just in the way when tossing stuff into the cargo area. I know I'm a repeat offender with this comment, but the low mounting point of the rear camera... ugh. I've seen posts about aftermarket versions for camera/mirror and I'll have that ordered by days end.

Creating an infotainment system is tricky and I think that Ineos did an okay job here. Hopefully it will get better over time, but it's better at this point than a 2018 Audi MMI system which never got updates. Audio is fine but the hands-free speaker/mic seem to be actually very good. I haven't had many of the issues that others have with the HVAC system yet as the weather has been pleasant and we've been windows down. I can attest, however, that the seat heaters are not underpowered.

Here are some things that have happened that may be nuances to learn to live with or might be outright issues. Feel free to comment on any of these:
  1. Not being able to lock/unlock from the passenger side. I have seen some people comment this away by saying it's normal in Europe, however all of the European cars I owned allow for this. Standard in US.
  2. The key fob will not lock if any door is slightly 'open'. Meaning, you can't pull it open, you have to use the handle button. However, it doesn't give you a beep or "warning" that something isn't closed. I have two kids, this is going to be an issue.
  3. I have had two instances of the emergency braking system warning when starting the car and driving, however when ADAS chirps at me for something the system seems to clear the error.
  4. Pulled up to my house and my kid unbuckled his belt right before we stopped, the chime starting going off and continued after we were stopped and vehicle was in Park. He was being dropped and then I was off somewhere else but I had to turn the car off and recycle the system to get the warning to stop.
  5. Radio was still playing after I was out of the car with the key in my hand and all doors were closed. The window was down which is why it caught my attention. It turned off when I opened the door again.
  6. Rear wiper auto turns on when reversing with the front screen wipers on. Is that a setting or just built in?
  7. Right rear parking sensor on the corner is alerting me 50% of the time when reversing. Always a red alert closest to the bumper. I have cleaned it but if there's an adjustment I can do, I'm all ears.
  8. Cargo /grate accessory mounting points inside the cabin on the headliner. Ineos should really make a cap for those. Little fingers love to pull on those holes.
I know people are going to fire away saying I'm hating on the Grenadier, but I'm not. Overall, the car is very unique and a big draw for me. I was likely going to move from the Rivian to this as my daily but I'm not completely sold at this point. The R1T didn't come completely sorted upon delivery either. Lets see if we can't work out a few kinks and make me love the thing.
Re steering, someone had their wheels aligned and this made a big difference to how the IG drove, may be worthwhile considering, tyre pressures are another consideration with many going to 40PSI to improve handling

kkester

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
Similar experience when I picked mine up, Trialmaster with KO2’s. Driving home in rush hour, heavy traffic, I was all over the place. When I got home I checked the tire pressures and discovered they were all at 50+ psi. Lowered them to the owners manual specification for 1-3 passengers and “poof” problem solved. Currently set all 4 road tires to 37 and drives “almost” perfect. An occasional crowning on the road and it gets a little loose but put some miles on and set the pressure correctly and you will find it very comfortable and manageable
I did the same thing (lowered tire pressure) with much better control. But now I have a low tire ("tyre") pressure alarm. Is there a way to adjust this alarm?

AwestinTX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:51 AM
Reaction score
Re steering, someone had their wheels aligned and this made a big difference to how the IG drove, may be worthwhile considering, tyre pressures are another consideration with many going to 40PSI to improve handling
I'm still playing with pressures. Running at 37-38 seems to make a pretty decent difference.
I did the same thing (lowered tire pressure) with much better control. But now I have a low tire ("tyre") pressure alarm. Is there a way to adjust this alarm?
You can reset it within Settings I believe. Once you reset the pressures, you do have to drive for a bit to make the TPMS sensors acknowledge the change and all of the warnings go away. I did have a HIGH pressure alarm after lowering and then driving on the highway for an hour at 80mph. My temps went up 8 degrees on three corners but 12 degrees on the right rear. Seems to be a pretty fickle system but a little more trial and error should get it sorted.

Local time
9:51 AM
Reaction score
On my Defender the TPMS seems happy if the pressures are the same across an axle. Don't know if it's the same on the Grenadier.
l can raise and lower the pressure so long as it's the same on both sides.
lf there's more than about 1psi difference the TPMS alarm shows on the dash.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
You can reset it. Previously I had a low pressure alarm at 38psi. I hit the reset and haven’t seen a low or high pressure alarm yet. I am not sure what the range is I am assuming after hitting the reset you are just telling the truck what your baseline is going to be.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK-I'm close to 200 miles in and hoping to get to 500+ quickly as I'm going to a deep off-the-nearest-paved-road weekend outing in the Poconos and I want everything as broken in as realistically possible. I posted a few things around, but here' some additional takeaways:

First off - I'm loving it. Great looking truck, the interior is awesome. But, here's some early non-positive notes/opinions:

1-I have a slight, but noticeable vibration at idle - was suggested it's an engine mount thing - will keep an eye on.

2-IA seriously missed the grab handle boat. My Buzz slider-steps aren't in yet, but it's tough getting into the back. I have the leather strap mod in the works. My wife is an etsy person and will order the leather straps tonight; I've already printed the plugs.

3-Where am I actually supposed to put my phone? It's like it was discussed in a recent roundtable - they designed the vehicle without traditional nav and such because everyone always has a home with them, but they didn't designate a spot for the phone itself. I've been slotting it next to the handbrake and it's ok there. But they totally overlooked that too. On a related note, I really need the extra/relocation USB mod as the ones in the cubby are awkward and once there's stuff in there they're hard to get to.

4-Head Unit is not the most intuitive, but I'm getting the hang of things. Although, the cubby USB-A doesn't recognize my device. I have an old iphone 3G that I use as a music device and it doesn't show up. It works fine in the Fit and Subi and it also worked on my 2020 GMC. I'll keep messing with it but if I can't get it I'll figure something else out.

5-I have the FAV hack - what's weird is sometimes it remembers it on its own, but not all the time.

6-I've been getting an intermittent warning on the telltale that the front camera isn't working. Playing with the ADAS settings doesn't consistently affect it, it's weird.

To be continued...

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
3-Where am I actually supposed to put my phone?
I thought that was the purpose of the pad/cubby in front of the shifter? Although, for most of the PTO2 tour when I was driving (in a truck w/o wired Android Auto) I tossed it on the non-slip mat on the dash

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Non-slip? I wish. I had my EZ Pass in front of the shifter and it went flying on a not too sharp turn.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Non-slip? I wish. I had my EZ Pass in front of the shifter and it went flying on a not too sharp turn.
Maybe it's my phone cases that add the needed grip then (Either Otterbox Defenders or DBrand Grip cases)

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I thought that was the purpose of the pad/cubby in front of the shifter? Although, for most of the PTO2 tour when I was driving (in a truck w/o wired Android Auto) I tossed it on the non-slip mat on the dash
My phone fits in the space in front of the shifter but it's awkward to lay it in there and to retrieve it. The shifters are very much in the way.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe it's my phone cases that add the needed grip then (Either Otterbox Defenders or DBrand Grip cases)
I'll see if I can find a grippy matte to cut and out there.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m with you…I have an iPhone 12 with the MagSafe so use a MagSafe windshield mount in the lower left corner of the windshield. Use a 6’ usb to lightning cable from the cubby along the console over the steering wheel to plug in.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I slide my phone between the handbrake and console. Seems like a good spot.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:51 AM
Reaction score
OK-I'm close to 200 miles in and hoping to get to 500+ quickly as I'm going to a deep off-the-nearest-paved-road weekend outing in the Poconos and I want everything as broken in as realistically possible. I posted a few things around, but here' some additional takeaways:

First off - I'm loving it. Great looking truck, the interior is awesome. But, here's some early non-positive notes/opinions:

1-I have a slight, but noticeable vibration at idle - was suggested it's an engine mount thing - will keep an eye on.

2-IA seriously missed the grab handle boat. My Buzz slider-steps aren't in yet, but it's tough getting into the back. I have the leather strap mod in the works. My wife is an etsy person and will order the leather straps tonight; I've already printed the plugs.

3-Where am I actually supposed to put my phone? It's like it was discussed in a recent roundtable - they designed the vehicle without traditional nav and such because everyone always has a home with them, but they didn't designate a spot for the phone itself. I've been slotting it next to the handbrake and it's ok there. But they totally overlooked that too. On a related note, I really need the extra/relocation USB mod as the ones in the cubby are awkward and once there's stuff in there they're hard to get to.

4-Head Unit is not the most intuitive, but I'm getting the hang of things. Although, the cubby USB-A doesn't recognize my device. I have an old iphone 3G that I use as a music device and it doesn't show up. It works fine in the Fit and Subi and it also worked on my 2020 GMC. I'll keep messing with it but if I can't get it I'll figure something else out.

5-I have the FAV hack - what's weird is sometimes it remembers it on its own, but not all the time.

6-I've been getting an intermittent warning on the telltale that the front camera isn't working. Playing with the ADAS settings doesn't consistently affect it, it's weird.

To be continued...
Where are you when you get the front camera warning?
It will always come on in larger parking lots or on private roads or on any road where it doesn't recognize a speed limit.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Where are you when you get the front camera warning?
It will always come on in larger parking lots or on private roads or on any road where it doesn't recognize a speed limit.
Normal around-town roads, etc. Nothing exotic.

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Normal around-town roads, etc. Nothing exotic.
The only time I get something like this is in the morning and it is associated with condensation, dew, fog, etc. My warning goes away after a short time on the road.

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score

To be continued...
#6: My ADAS camera automatically disables when I drive onto restricted GOV areas and produces this light. I believe it's secondary information relayed from the phone GPS.

Gibby

Donny Grey, White Roof, Red Frame, much more.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Krabby- Maybe there is a few other IGs that can join you this Saturday. I can be available.

Back
Top Bottom