The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Initial Reactions After Delivery

AwestinTX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
I picked up my Trialmaster this week, and like so many, have initial reactions to many elements of the vehicle. Let me begin by saying I am often a new adopter of a vehicle/model and have experience with being in that guinea pig category. I currently have a Rivian R1T Launch Edition and sold a Bronco (Day 1 order) to make room for the IG. The look of the Ineos is spectacular and gets a bunch of interest in parking lots. I'm very impressed with the walk around - gaps are good and everything aside from one little trim piece is sorted.

Picking up my vehicle in Houston to make the drive home to Austin meant I was off the dealer lot and onto an interstate at high speeds right off the bat. My initial reactions were that the seats are very comfortable, ride is solid, and surprisingly quiet at 80+ mph. What I didn't like was that the vehicle did not want to track in a lane - and I mean at all. I had seen/read all of the steering related comments mainly on the steering rack turns and lack of center return. I've lived with older off road vehicles with rod/ball steering plenty over the years, but this time I was looking for trees and flags to tell me that a storm was blowing through and the winds were high. My opinion is that there's a difference in going to a throwback, low-sensitivity steering solution and one that seems to have a couple of degrees dead zone when steering is centered. You wait for it to drift and then you bring it back. This is a more substantial issue if you're going to be logging any real highway miles at today's highway speeds. Tires are new, pressures can be adjusted, etc., but do those without KO2's have it a little bit better? I did just read that there's a recall due to loose attachments on the steering balls - fingers crossed that's not me.

The engine and transmission are more than capable. Bronco has more grunt but I don't see this as a drawback on the Grenadier to any large degree. The back seats have a great deal of room, much better than many of the newer off roading vehicles with entry and egress much easier. I'm very pleased with the materials used to this point. Only time will tell how they hold up.

On that initial drive I was wondering how I missed the IG didn't have blind spot technology in the run up to delivery. I think this is pretty low hanging fruit as far as cars go and I'd guess this is the most expensive vehicle in production without it. Coupled with the invasive nanny warnings with other systems in the vehicle, why leave this one out? The mirrors could be a bit bigger and my driving position actually maxes out the driver mirrors adjustment to the left. All of that being said, I actually find the visibility to be decent, rear windows being the exception.

Let's talk about the rear windows and doors! I love the door set up. Yeah, the 30% could probably be 35% since visibility wasn't considered, but I have tossed multiple things into the smaller door over the few days I've had the vehicle. I was parked on a decent side hill at the grocery store and the larger door stayed right where I had placed it while loading bags into the back. I need to find a little sack to place the tie down loops when not in use because they are just in the way when tossing stuff into the cargo area. I know I'm a repeat offender with this comment, but the low mounting point of the rear camera... ugh. I've seen posts about aftermarket versions for camera/mirror and I'll have that ordered by days end.

Creating an infotainment system is tricky and I think that Ineos did an okay job here. Hopefully it will get better over time, but it's better at this point than a 2018 Audi MMI system which never got updates. Audio is fine but the hands-free speaker/mic seem to be actually very good. I haven't had many of the issues that others have with the HVAC system yet as the weather has been pleasant and we've been windows down. I can attest, however, that the seat heaters are not underpowered.

Here are some things that have happened that may be nuances to learn to live with or might be outright issues. Feel free to comment on any of these:
  1. Not being able to lock/unlock from the passenger side. I have seen some people comment this away by saying it's normal in Europe, however all of the European cars I owned allow for this. Standard in US.
  2. The key fob will not lock if any door is slightly 'open'. Meaning, you can't pull it open, you have to use the handle button. However, it doesn't give you a beep or "warning" that something isn't closed. I have two kids, this is going to be an issue.
  3. I have had two instances of the emergency braking system warning when starting the car and driving, however when ADAS chirps at me for something the system seems to clear the error.
  4. Pulled up to my house and my kid unbuckled his belt right before we stopped, the chime starting going off and continued after we were stopped and vehicle was in Park. He was being dropped and then I was off somewhere else but I had to turn the car off and recycle the system to get the warning to stop.
  5. Radio was still playing after I was out of the car with the key in my hand and all doors were closed. The window was down which is why it caught my attention. It turned off when I opened the door again.
  6. Rear wiper auto turns on when reversing with the front screen wipers on. Is that a setting or just built in?
  7. Right rear parking sensor on the corner is alerting me 50% of the time when reversing. Always a red alert closest to the bumper. I have cleaned it but if there's an adjustment I can do, I'm all ears.
  8. Cargo /grate accessory mounting points inside the cabin on the headliner. Ineos should really make a cap for those. Little fingers love to pull on those holes.
I know people are going to fire away saying I'm hating on the Grenadier, but I'm not. Overall, the car is very unique and a big draw for me. I was likely going to move from the Rivian to this as my daily but I'm not completely sold at this point. The R1T didn't come completely sorted upon delivery either. Lets see if we can't work out a few kinks and make me love the thing.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:12 AM
Reaction score
great review. I have the Fieldmaster with the Bridgestone Duellers. I don't have tracking issues on the highway.

1. agreed not good
2. haven't noticed
3-5. don't have those issues
6. yes it's annoying to me too and can't turn it off apparently
7. haven't noticed that
8. agreed

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm noticing that those with small children have a different set of issues than those of us without - or with older children.

Overall - I think this is a fair summary of your experience with it.

I don't notice the steering issue, but I don't doubt you do. It may be down to individual driver or vehicle configuration.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
For number 2, change the lock setting to doors and horn. If it doesn't toot at you you'll know something is open.

I do wish there were window locks and auto up. Once the kids figure out that I don't have those it's going to be a battle.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
#6 is normal for a lot of EU cars.
#5 try tapping the lock twice to double lock it. Should turn all power off.
It seems the steering control/sticks in the lane when things settles in. Some even say different tires provide a better experience.

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For number 2, change the lock setting to doors and horn. If it doesn't toot at you you'll know something is open.

I do wish there were window locks and auto up. Once the kids figure out that I don't have those it's going to be a battle.
I changed my setting so it beeps when I lock the car. With my Defender, and most other newer cars when the car is locked the side windows fold in so theres some visual cue that it's locked. I found myself looking at the car, walking back to check that its locked a few times. So the little 'toot' that it's locked works for me.

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I picked up my Trialmaster this week, and like so many, have initial reactions to many elements of the vehicle. Let me begin by saying I am often a new adopter of a vehicle/model and have experience with being in that guinea pig category. I currently have a Rivian R1T Launch Edition and sold a Bronco (Day 1 order) to make room for the IG. The look of the Ineos is spectacular and gets a bunch of interest in parking lots. I'm very impressed with the walk around - gaps are good and everything aside from one little trim piece is sorted.

Picking up my vehicle in Houston to make the drive home to Austin meant I was off the dealer lot and onto an interstate at high speeds right off the bat. My initial reactions were that the seats are very comfortable, ride is solid, and surprisingly quiet at 80+ mph. What I didn't like was that the vehicle did not want to track in a lane - and I mean at all. I had seen/read all of the steering related comments mainly on the steering rack turns and lack of center return. I've lived with older off road vehicles with rod/ball steering plenty over the years, but this time I was looking for trees and flags to tell me that a storm was blowing through and the winds were high. My opinion is that there's a difference in going to a throwback, low-sensitivity steering solution and one that seems to have a couple of degrees dead zone when steering is centered. You wait for it to drift and then you bring it back. This is a more substantial issue if you're going to be logging any real highway miles at today's highway speeds. Tires are new, pressures can be adjusted, etc., but do those without KO2's have it a little bit better? I did just read that there's a recall due to loose attachments on the steering balls - fingers crossed that's not me.

The engine and transmission are more than capable. Bronco has more grunt but I don't see this as a drawback on the Grenadier to any large degree. The back seats have a great deal of room, much better than many of the newer off roading vehicles with entry and egress much easier. I'm very pleased with the materials used to this point. Only time will tell how they hold up.

On that initial drive I was wondering how I missed the IG didn't have blind spot technology in the run up to delivery. I think this is pretty low hanging fruit as far as cars go and I'd guess this is the most expensive vehicle in production without it. Coupled with the invasive nanny warnings with other systems in the vehicle, why leave this one out? The mirrors could be a bit bigger and my driving position actually maxes out the driver mirrors adjustment to the left. All of that being said, I actually find the visibility to be decent, rear windows being the exception.

Let's talk about the rear windows and doors! I love the door set up. Yeah, the 30% could probably be 35% since visibility wasn't considered, but I have tossed multiple things into the smaller door over the few days I've had the vehicle. I was parked on a decent side hill at the grocery store and the larger door stayed right where I had placed it while loading bags into the back. I need to find a little sack to place the tie down loops when not in use because they are just in the way when tossing stuff into the cargo area. I know I'm a repeat offender with this comment, but the low mounting point of the rear camera... ugh. I've seen posts about aftermarket versions for camera/mirror and I'll have that ordered by days end.

Creating an infotainment system is tricky and I think that Ineos did an okay job here. Hopefully it will get better over time, but it's better at this point than a 2018 Audi MMI system which never got updates. Audio is fine but the hands-free speaker/mic seem to be actually very good. I haven't had many of the issues that others have with the HVAC system yet as the weather has been pleasant and we've been windows down. I can attest, however, that the seat heaters are not underpowered.

Here are some things that have happened that may be nuances to learn to live with or might be outright issues. Feel free to comment on any of these:
  1. Not being able to lock/unlock from the passenger side. I have seen some people comment this away by saying it's normal in Europe, however all of the European cars I owned allow for this. Standard in US.
  2. The key fob will not lock if any door is slightly 'open'. Meaning, you can't pull it open, you have to use the handle button. However, it doesn't give you a beep or "warning" that something isn't closed. I have two kids, this is going to be an issue.
  3. I have had two instances of the emergency braking system warning when starting the car and driving, however when ADAS chirps at me for something the system seems to clear the error.
  4. Pulled up to my house and my kid unbuckled his belt right before we stopped, the chime starting going off and continued after we were stopped and vehicle was in Park. He was being dropped and then I was off somewhere else but I had to turn the car off and recycle the system to get the warning to stop.
  5. Radio was still playing after I was out of the car with the key in my hand and all doors were closed. The window was down which is why it caught my attention. It turned off when I opened the door again.
  6. Rear wiper auto turns on when reversing with the front screen wipers on. Is that a setting or just built in?
  7. Right rear parking sensor on the corner is alerting me 50% of the time when reversing. Always a red alert closest to the bumper. I have cleaned it but if there's an adjustment I can do, I'm all ears.
  8. Cargo /grate accessory mounting points inside the cabin on the headliner. Ineos should really make a cap for those. Little fingers love to pull on those holes.
I know people are going to fire away saying I'm hating on the Grenadier, but I'm not. Overall, the car is very unique and a big draw for me. I was likely going to move from the Rivian to this as my daily but I'm not completely sold at this point. The R1T didn't come completely sorted upon delivery either. Lets see if we can't work out a few kinks and make me love the thing.
Great review and very well written. I hope you get the issues sorted out like with the Rivian, and I think you will. As early adopters, we expect some small tweaks and issues, which will get sorted out with time.
For me, I have a few classics from the 1960s and have restored ground up, a few great cars. With each restoration, there is a year or two of working out the bugs and eventually they perform as new and better. I look at the Grenadier like I would having another classic car in my garage. It is going to be cool looking, turn heads and fun to drive…but it is most likely going to cause me a few headaches in the short run, which will be sorted out and then I will be glad as hell I have the Ineos.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
  1. Pulled up to my house and my kid unbuckled his belt right before we stopped, the chime starting going off and continued after we were stopped and vehicle was in Park. He was being dropped and then I was off somewhere else but I had to turn the car off and recycle the system to get the warning to stop.
  2. Radio was still playing after I was out of the car with the key in my hand and all doors were closed. The window was down which is why it caught my attention. It turned off when I opened the door again.

I appreciate you sharing your first impressions - interesting comment on the mirror adjustment as I'd not seen that reported before.

But these two I quoted are very easily explained and rectified - you've got yourself a poltergeist. Some sage, maybe some holy water, something like that ought to fix you right up. Don't thank me, this is the kind of hard-hitting technical analysis that people come to this forum for and I'm happy to provide it.

Jokes aside, I do appreciate your summary and I don't think you are hating on it - all of us expected this first gen to have teething issues and it looks like most of what you are experiencing is that. The "no door locks on the passenger side" is an interesting one, and in theory I wonder if it would be easy to shift the door lock switch to the centre console - that's where the windows are on Jeeps and it means one set of switches for both driver and passenger, and it keeps the electronics out of the doors (which makes sense as the Jeep doors come off) but also has the added user benefit of access for both sides of the vehicle.

With regards to #8 - the tiny holes - is there anything sharp in there that threatens injury for the little ones, or is it just in case they get a finger stuck/dirty/other?

Tarheel

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As far as the steering/turning radius issues, has anyone tried adding a power handle/suicide knob like below to make it easier?

TX Wilderness Seeker

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great review and feels very accurate with my experience too. I am also running KO2s and there is play/gap in the steering

Last edited:

squarebale

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Excellent review!

Please don't worry about the steering; you'll come to appreciate, and even enjoy it soon enough.

I, too, traded a Bronco (2022 Wildtrak) for my Grenadier. I drove my Bronco from Phoenix to Yuma to make the trade, and on the drive out was reminded of how well-mannered the Bronco is at highway, or any, speed. I made the trade and proceeded to return to Phoenix in my new Grenadier. This was my absolute 1st drive in any Grenadier (I know, I should have at least conducted a test drive before purchase, but yeah, I didn't). As soon as I got on the interstate, I thought 'Yikes!'. It felt like it was all over the road! I've had Jeeps in the past, with their wandering crown-steer, but this was something else! I was genuinely concerned that I'd made a terrible mistake.

The fact is, I'd just become a lazy driver. My Bronco and my wife's Model Y are both truly excellent vehicles, but their modern handling qualities had diminished whatever driving skill I had.

I am happy to report that driving the Grenadier these last few days, in town, at AZ highway speeds (80 plus) and off-road has brought back the fun of driving.

I am confident that if you drive your Grenadier enough in a short period of time, say the next week, you'll have the same experience.

Your thoughts regarding the Bronco are spot-on as is your initial analysis of the Grenadier.

Welcome to the Club!

Sekurt

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Similar experience when I picked mine up, Trialmaster with KO2’s. Driving home in rush hour, heavy traffic, I was all over the place. When I got home I checked the tire pressures and discovered they were all at 50+ psi. Lowered them to the owners manual specification for 1-3 passengers and “poof” problem solved. Currently set all 4 road tires to 37 and drives “almost” perfect. An occasional crowning on the road and it gets a little loose but put some miles on and set the pressure correctly and you will find it very comfortable and manageable

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yea, on my wrangler, my K02s perform better when they are set to a lower psi. Ineos specifies 36 with 3 people. I'd go with that.

AwestinTX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Bruce, thanks for the tip. I didn't have that box checked and thought it awfully funny that it didn't give you an audible confirmation when you locked with the fob. The doors still don't lock when something is not completely closed, but at least I have a warning. Have a great day.

AwestinTX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I appreciate you sharing your first impressions - interesting comment on the mirror adjustment as I'd not seen that reported before.

But these two I quoted are very easily explained and rectified - you've got yourself a poltergeist. Some sage, maybe some holy water, something like that ought to fix you right up. Don't thank me, this is the kind of hard-hitting technical analysis that people come to this forum for and I'm happy to provide it.

Jokes aside, I do appreciate your summary and I don't think you are hating on it - all of us expected this first gen to have teething issues and it looks like most of what you are experiencing is that. The "no door locks on the passenger side" is an interesting one, and in theory I wonder if it would be easy to shift the door lock switch to the centre console - that's where the windows are on Jeeps and it means one set of switches for both driver and passenger, and it keeps the electronics out of the doors (which makes sense as the Jeep doors come off) but also has the added user benefit of access for both sides of the vehicle.

With regards to #8 - the tiny holes - is there anything sharp in there that threatens injury for the little ones, or is it just in case they get a finger stuck/dirty/other?
At some point I'll see if I can buy a switch from Ineos and install it to solve the lock issue. The holes are mounting points for a grate to keep dogs etc in their particular places. You could also use them to hang your dry cleaning. 1 - they're ugly and could be capped if not in use, and 2 - kids will pull on anything they think is interesting. Nothing I can see to injure anyone and they'll only get truly stuck one time before learning a lesson! Have a great day.

AwestinTX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Similar experience when I picked mine up, Trialmaster with KO2’s. Driving home in rush hour, heavy traffic, I was all over the place. When I got home I checked the tire pressures and discovered they were all at 50+ psi. Lowered them to the owners manual specification for 1-3 passengers and “poof” problem solved. Currently set all 4 road tires to 37 and drives “almost” perfect. An occasional crowning on the road and it gets a little loose but put some miles on and set the pressure correctly and you will find it very comfortable and manageable
Thanks for the comment. I'm definitely over pressured and will report back after now lowering to 37 psi.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment. I'm definitely over pressured and will report back after now lowering to 37 psi.
I had exactly the same experience leaving the dealer for a 400 mile interstate journey home.
I thought I'd made a huge mistake. The car was exhausting on the highway. Turn the wheel a small amount and nothing. Tiny bit more and it would overreact; then take a "set" on the new trajectory.
Repeat process in the other direction. Absolutely horrible.
Here's the good news, so you can breathe easy.
After some 500 miles, or so; the steering got MUCH better. Especially after some driving around town with bumps and lots of back and forth wheel movements.

My theory. Some of the vehicles have excess friction in the steering when leaving the factory. Maybe kingpin bolts a smidge too tight? Something...
Anyway, it will loosen up in time and cease taking a "set" when small steering changes are made.

My salesman told me the demo vehicles were the same way when new. Now they steer much better.
I had an F250 that did the same thing after new ball joints. Took it to a different shop where they loosened the over-tightened ball joints and fixed the darty steering.

AwestinTX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had exactly the same experience leaving the dealer for a 400 mile interstate journey home.
I thought I'd made a huge mistake. The car was exhausting on the highway. Turn the wheel a small amount and nothing. Tiny bit more and it would overreact; then take a "set" on the new trajectory.
Repeat process in the other direction. Absolutely horrible.
Here's the good news, so you can breathe easy.
After some 500 miles, or so; the steering got MUCH better. Especially after some driving around town with bumps and lots of back and forth wheel movements.

My theory. Some of the vehicles have excess friction in the steering when leaving the factory. Maybe kingpin bolts a smidge too tight? Something...
Anyway, it will loosen up in time and cease taking a "set" when small steering changes are made.

My salesman told me the demo vehicles were the same way when new. Now they steer much better.
I had an F250 that did the same thing after new ball joints. Took it to a different shop where they loosened the over-tightened ball joints and fixed the darty steering.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not there on the milage yet and I've adjusted pressures per experienced KO2 owners.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not there on the milage yet and I've adjusted pressures per experienced KO2 owners.
I lowered the pressures as well. Softened the ride a touch, but did not change the handling that I could notice.

Back
Top Bottom