The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Raised Air Intake

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score
I like the idea but I don't know enough about fixing cars that I could actually live with one.
Practise makes perfect! Once you sort the main bits they are easy to maintain. Far easier than anything built this century.
Though replacing the spring shackle bushings is , as my much younger local LR mechanic says, "young man's work"
He left them for me to do...

Local time
8:38 PM
Reaction score
Or you could just fit a Donaldson top spin like Ineos and get the benefits below and not have to worry about wether it points forwards or backwards and not have one cold foot.
  • Separates more than 99% of 20 micron and above particles
  • Self-cleaning/self-scavenging:
    • No maintenance to clean bowl
    • No exhaust ejector required

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Or you could just fit a Donaldson top spin like Ineos and get the benefits below and not have to worry about wether it points forwards or backwards and not have one cold foot.
That sock looks like a stupid idea to me.
Why put oil all over it despite the fact it is only the part that the air goes through that he wants the oil on
as soon as it clogs up you would be starving the engine of air and therefore power
Looks like they have spent $50K plus modifying their vehicles and then protect the most important part with an old sock.
As you correctly point out. do the properly

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You know how a filter works right?
I guess you are referring to me?
I am not an expert but I am the National Product Manager for a range of products including blocked filter detection instruments
They are used to detect changes in airflow through the filter medium, so the filter pads can be changed/cleaned before the reduction in airflow causes the system to shut down, or the blower to burn out.
I must admit we don't have any old socks in our product range.
I also have various electrical qualifications so I understand cable ties fairly well also.
I used to import them from a company in Taiwan called KSS Industries.
I wear socks occasionally but can't knit o save my life.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:38 PM
Reaction score
as soon as it clogs up you would be starving the engine of air and therefore power

Seems to be the basic function of any standard automotive filter to clog up... what job is it doing if it doesn't?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Seems to be the basic function of any standard automotive filter to clog up... what job is it doing if it doesn't?
Not if it blocks up in 30 minutes
Did they not know in advance they were going to drive on dirt roads?
They are purporting (2 points for that word) to be experts but cant plan ahead for their air intake.
As CountyV8 says
Do the job properly 1st time.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Totally agree and what I aim for, but people stuff up. On one ocassion I watched another vehicle go through and it was fine, but my line must have been a bit off, on another I walked it, but again I must have gotten the line a little wring and a wheel slipped into a hole.
Agree, I’ve had water over the bonnet a number of times, always still water, and mostly on the entrance, but wouldn’t have attempted the crossing without the snorkel and on a couple of occasions a blind. Cheap insurance. And I’ve seen a few guys follow a straight forward crossing on the wrong line and end up deeper than they thought.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Agree, I’ve had water over the bonnet a number of times, always still water, and mostly on the entrance, but wouldn’t have attempted the crossing without the snorkel and on a couple of occasions a blind. Cheap insurance. And I’ve seen a few guys follow a straight forward crossing on the wrong line and end up deeper than they thought.
I hung a sugar bag over the front of my Suzuki Sierra back when Jesus was in short pants
Worked a treat

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:38 PM
Reaction score
Improvise. Adapt. Overcome!
mary elizabeth winstead marines GIF by The Orchard Films

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not if it blocks up in 30 minutes
Did they not know in advance they were going to drive on dirt roads?
They are purporting (2 points for that word) to be experts but cant plan ahead for their air intake.
As CountyV8 says
Do the job properly 1st time.
Slightly less redneck solution

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I kinda like the routine of tipping the fesh fesh and bugs out of the glass bowl.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I like the idea but I don't know enough about fixing cars that I could actually live with one.
Ah! Land Rover as the old saying goes: "making mechanics out of drivers since 1948"
(I have a self awarded "PhD" (permanent head damage) in "Range Rover studies" having bought a 'pre-loved' RR P38 and endured a love -hate relationship with it for a decade....)

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
3:38 PM
Reaction score
I suppose you had one of those old hessian water bags hanging from the bullbar as well old man? 😂😂😂😉
I used one of those hessian water bags back in the day ... within 100 K in Central Australia during summer they were bone dry. Back to the Army plastic canteen Im afraid. Finally got one of the first Engle fridge freezer when they were painted yellow and that took over the water cooling job but the Army would not pay for the Engle. I scrounged one from somewhere in the NT.

Back
Top Bottom