The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Raised Air Intake

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
What the hell use is a “raised intake” if it isn’t a snorkel like a safari / airtrec etc?

By snorkel I mean apart from the big hole in the top, it is sealed all the way to the airbox. Although I think there is a drain hole in them somewhere that allows for bits of rainwater or whatever that inadvertently get in to clear somewhere.

If that is indeed the case ( I was promised a reply from customer service but never got one) then it’s a delete from me and waste of $1k or whatever the price is. Then I trust Safari will come to the party.
It does seem odd that where the Grenadier has gone down engineering routes to address so many other shortfalls, it has followed others with regard to a RAI and not a true snorkel.

It's this joint in the inner wing that could have been designed as watertight that seems to be the 1st issue:
IMG_20221121_090241.jpg

But you can see that any extraneous water drawn into the RAI is to a degree going to fall to the "sump" area at the bottom of the intake, whilst the air is drawn upwards and along the ducting.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
Raised Air Intake needs to fit in the shed somewhere (thread mentioned)
I wish.
The basic shed costs $35K plus delivery as a kit
Slab costs $40K at 16 metres wide by 18 metres deep.
Building the shed $12K
fitout and lining the shed $21K
It will have aircon in the right hand half, an office, shower & toilet.
Poly coated floor.
280 SQM - that's not a shed DaveB, that's an industrial complex!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone noticed that there have been prototypes running around with a notionally higher intake/wading depth (if measured off intake alone) and a more direct intake path to the airbox?
FB_IMG_1660984648277.jpg

And its not just cosmetic, as there were changes to the underlying bodywork:
Screenshot_20211223_174637_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Someone has posted this photo before, but when I first saw it I thought of this modification to the Grenadier intake:
Screenshot_20220625_230406_com.facebook.katana.jpg

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
280 SQM - that's not a shed DaveB, that's an industrial complex!
The Beast is just over 5 metres long so needs a minimum of 7 metres to park in
Carport 7 metres x 4 metres per bay
Garage 8 metres x 4 metres because I want to put a 800mm deep work bench at the back.
Standard sheets of yellow tongue flooring are 3600mm x 800mm x 19 mm thick.
perfect for a work bench

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mate, it does my head in passing opposite direction convoys on the cape road, all up each other’s backside, sucking dust like it’s good for them.
We traveled the Great Central Rd between Docker River and the Olgas at night (no option) in a convoy. A still night and no wind, and we needed to space 10km apart (measured using identified landmarks and the uhf) so we could see through the dust safely. So yeah, hanging back makes a world of sense. It’s amazing how many people drive close on dirt roads.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's a good point; and why, if you really want to play in deep water, you want that water in your vehicle and you see people opening their doors to facilitate it. If you're near floating you have seriously reduced traction.
Often bush water crossings are fairly mild, except for that deep part at the entry or exit. Just need to get through that little hollow without drowning the motor.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:35 AM
Reaction score
It does seem odd that where the Grenadier has gone down engineering routes to address so many other shortfalls, it has followed others with regard to a RAI and not a true snorkel.

It's this joint in the inner wing that could have been designed as watertight that seems to be the 1st issue:
View attachment 7796485

But you can see that any extraneous water drawn into the RAI is to a degree going to fall to the "sump" area at the bottom of the intake, whilst the air is drawn upwards and along the ducting.
Thanks DCPU for the pictures.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:35 AM
Reaction score
In fact, the black tube of the raised air intake acts as a heater if the sun shines.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Weird question: If it doesn't get welded, you can remove everything which was fitted before. Even when welded, there are angle grinders ...

Last edited:

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Weird queation: If it doesn't get welded, you can remove everything which was fitted before. Even when welded, there are angle grinders ...
Sounds logical - sorry, BWLer ;)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Will there be a hole in the fender (wing)?
Yes, I thought that was what the question was referring to. Fitting some snorkels requires taking a hole saw to panels. In this instance, it looks like the standard air intake cover is just removed ~ although I don't know that for sure.

Screenshot_20220520_171401.jpg

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In theory a snorkel increases your wading depth and is sealed against water getting in to your air intake.
A raised air intake increases the height of your air intake and is sealed against dust getting into your normal air intake, but not water.
I am willing to bet there are a lot of people out there who think they have a snorkel when all they have is a raised air intake.
A sealed snorkel probably provides a bit of insurance in case you accidentally and briefly drop into a hole that Is unexpectedly deep, however there is more to wading depth than just the air intake, it is that pluse electrical components, diff breathers and very importantly the level at which the vehicle floats and you lose all traction and control. So it really doesn’t practically raise wading depth. Apart from that slight insurance snorkels don’t add a lot, and RAI even less. Having said that they look quite cool and my Trialmaster comes with one so I will have one. The cooler air and dust arguments are marginal at best, the air a metre or less above the standard intake isn’t really any cooler and if you have ever traveled behind another vehicle on an Australian outback dirt road it will make zero difference to dust intake.

Back
Top Bottom