The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Raised Air Intake

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
.I have seen a few youtube videos of flooded 4wds with water pouring out of the doors when recovered.
A malady that seems to affect the 20-35 year old demographic seemingly lacking the ability to activate the consequence gene!
Would you buy a used car from them?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A malady that seems to affect the 20-35 year old demographic seemingly lacking the ability to activate the consequence gene!
Would you buy a used car from them?
The moron that flooded his Nissan and had pulled his seats etc out was walking around with a cup in one hand and a bottle of Makers Mark Bourbon in the other.
Bogans.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Have any of you taken a closer look at the raised air intake? How is it ensured that no water gets in, for example in the car wash or when I clean the Grenadier with the steam jet? Even if I don't deliberately stop at the opening, I can't rule out the possibility of it happening. This is prevented in the case of air intake nozzles with a cap, like the original Defender Air Intake. Possibly the water is separated again at the bottom before it is sucked into the engine by a special construction. What I can't imagine. What is your experience? What do you think?

Haven’t seen this one as yet however they normally have drain holes in the bottom of the airbox. Atmospheric pressure is sufficient to keep water out if you’re doing a crossing, but if you really want to seal it up it normally takes a bit of silicone here and there. Bear in mind it’s presented as a raised air intake not a snorkel, and is therefore designed to ingest cooler, cleaner air from near the roofline rather than the stock air intake. Not sure where that is, but it’s normally drawing from the engine bay or wheel arch.

Edit: could be I was a bit late to the party on this one. Breathers mentioned elsewhere are necessary for the differentials/transfer case. Again they come as standard with a one-way valve so would be fine for most users, but if you’re determined to test the buoyancy of your vehicle best extend them and terminate them up high on the firewall etc. Gearboxes with mechanical actuation can be susceptible to water ingress through the top (again, for the closet submariner) and there’s not much one can do about that as it’s down to design, and the controls need to pass through somewhere.

Central Mongolia we counted 60+ water crossings of various depths in one day, with no drama except for a lost number plate. Our QLD friends are maybe a bit more hardcore when it comes to water depth though.

Best change the gearbox and diff oil after repeatedly sending it, regardless of breathers etc.

Last edited:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have NEVER used a car wash as I have always made some time because I have always enjoyed washing my cars.

I the closest I ever got was a human car wash machine: the local Boy Scout Troop - 6 young lads washed my car in about 4 minutes!

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
The obvious side is reduced dust, but I think more importantly it is sucking in cooler air compared to under the bonnet or behind the wheel arch.
I read one report that said the air was up to 30 degrees C cooler through the snorkel.
I agree with you if the air intake is under the bonnet or at least within the structure of the car. But the air intake of the Grenadier is on its side.
But maybe - on hot days - the air closer to the road is so much warmer and it’s not a question of motor heat but road heat that makes the difference between 80 cm and 200 cm.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The obvious side is reduced dust, but I think more importantly it is sucking in cooler air compared to under the bonnet or behind the wheel arch.
I read one report that said the air was up to 30 degrees C cooler through the snorkel.
Dave, I have done the research. With my trusty Scangauge measuring the intake temperature. Driving the same road at the same speed, before and after fitting a snorkel. Absolutely no difference. Both times induction air temp was about 6 deg C higher than ambient temperature. As an added bonus, ram air advantage is negligible, ambient temp is way more important. I could explain my experience, which ties in with aerodynamic theory, but that would be too much.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Dave, I have done the research. With my trusty Scangauge measuring the intake temperature. Driving the same road at the same speed, before and after fitting a snorkel. Absolutely no difference. Both times induction air temp was about 6 deg C higher than ambient temperature. As an added bonus, ram air advantage is negligible, ambient temp is way more important. I could explain my experience, which ties in with aerodynamic theory, but that would be too much.
I think you are probably 98.648% correct

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
Has it been a very hot and sunny day?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:42 PM
Reaction score
Raised Air Intake needs to fit in the shed somewhere (thread mentioned)
I wish.
The basic shed costs $35K plus delivery as a kit
Slab costs $40K at 16 metres wide by 18 metres deep.
Building the shed $12K
fitout and lining the shed $21K
It will have aircon in the right hand half, an office, shower & toilet.
Poly coated floor.
I think we need find another word than 'shed' to describe this build

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys, my point was not whether I can go diving with the raised air intake, but solely the construction of this part. With the cyclone filter on the Defender, I didn't have to be careful with the steam jet. This plastic part looks more like the pipe of an extractor fan to me. And it doesn't feel of high quality either.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As I call my Grenadier "The Beast" then maybe it should be called a barn. But that is not a term used in Australia.
The Beast's Motel?

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The other (perhaps obvious) course of action is to extend your standoff a bit so one is not eating the dust of the car in front all day. Might not be practicable if you’re a tactical convoy whipping through Wardak Province but should be no problem on an outback road (buy a longer antenna).

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The other (perhaps obvious) course of action is to extend your standoff a bit so one is not eating the dust of the car in front all day. Might not be practicable if you’re a tactical convoy whipping through Wardak Province but should be no problem on an outback road (buy a longer antenna).
Yes
Works the same in heavy rain.
Back off a bit and it's amazing how much better vision you get

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mate, it does my head in passing opposite direction convoys on the cape road, all up each other’s backside, sucking dust like it’s good for them.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In light of the devastating floods in New South Wales, there was an interesting par. in the local press recently regarding wading depths. An Emergency Services team wheeled a Nissan Patrol into a concrete culvert which was progressively filled with water. I can't remember all the details, except that once water reached the floorpan, it rapidly gained buoyancy and by the time the water was half way up the doors, the vehicle was essentially floating and could be moved by the team with little trouble. They made the point, that even a gentle current with water level above floor depth could sweep a vehicle off a flooded road.

It's a good point; and why, if you really want to play in deep water, you want that water in your vehicle and you see people opening their doors to facilitate it. If you're near floating you have seriously reduced traction.

Back
Top Bottom