The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Raised Air Intake

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:17 PM
Reaction score
Was asked for by different members and Ineos always answered "not waterproof".

On dusty roads and trails the motor breathes cleaner air with a raised air intake.
I get it mate, but why would you waste your time making one when you could do the job properly and achieve both aims. A snorkel isn’t a guarantee but it’s pretty good insurance.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:17 PM
Reaction score
In theory a snorkel increases your wading depth and is sealed against water getting in to your air intake.
A raised air intake increases the height of your air intake and is sealed against dust getting into your normal air intake, but not water.
I am willing to bet there are a lot of people out there who think they have a snorkel when all they have is a raised air intake.
Agreed DaveB and the issue with wading depth, it is not just the height of air intake for the engine to breathe but I have been told to vent the gearbox higher which I know very little about and will now wait until I am able to inspect and educate myself...They say 800mm wading depth for a reason and if putting a snorkel on can take you underwater then I don't get it. If you don't know the depth of water you are about to enter, you don't need a snorkel, you need a boat...happy motoring

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:17 AM
Reaction score
I get it mate, but why would you waste your time making one when you could do the job properly and achieve both aims. A snorkel isn’t a guarantee but it’s pretty good insurance.
Agree.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I couldn't find any snorkel manufacturer who guaranteed a new wading depth for a vehicle fitted with their sealed snorkel, but plenty who said an unsealed one definitely won't. (obvious really)
What was clear was that the wading depth quoted included all systems, not just the air intake, which means you are covered by warranty.
This should include door seals.
Most Toyotas were listed at 700mm with the IG at 800mm
See comments below from one site.

Anyway contrary to popular belief, a snorkel will seldom increase your 4×4’s water-fording abilities. In theory, it is possible; but the reality is that your vehicles wading depth is determined by many factors, and not just by where the engine’s air intake point is. For example, if your snorkel is installed correctly, with no air or water leaks, it will, in fact, raise your vehicle’s air intake point and increase the depth of water your 4×4 can drive through before inhaling water into the engine. However, other factors, such as the height of your 4x4’s transmission breathers, diff breathers, engine-management system and electrics, also determine how much water you can drive through.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:17 PM
Reaction score
I couldn't find any snorkel manufacturer who guaranteed a new wading depth for a vehicle fitted with their sealed snorkel, but plenty who said an unsealed one definitely won't. (obvious really)
What was clear was that the wading depth quoted included all systems, not just the air intake, which means you are covered by warranty.

Anyway contrary to popular belief, a snorkel will seldom increase your 4×4’s water-fording abilities. In theory, it is possible; but the reality is that your vehicles wading depth is determined by many factors, and not just by where the engine’s air intake point is. For example, if your snorkel is installed correctly, with no air or water leaks, it will, in fact, raise your vehicle’s air intake point and increase the depth of water your 4×4 can drive through before inhaling water into the engine. However, other factors, such as the height of your 4x4’s transmission breathers, diff breathers, engine-management system and electrics, also determine how much water you can drive through.
Agreed...Sub or Grenadier

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
On a side note the forward facing RAM air style say they are good for dust & rain but shouldn't be used for snow or insects.
They should be swiveled backward facing in that case

Reactions: Max

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:17 AM
Reaction score
I wouldn't ever point them forward. The "RAM" effect is neglectible, in particular with a turbo. But water coming in at heavy rain is not.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Next time we have a locust plague I'll make sure to do the swivel :)
I have driven through a locust plague, moth plague and mouse plague over the years.
Didn't have a snorkel fitted
First two blocked the windscreen and grill.
last one clogged up the tread in my tyres so bad I had to stop when I got through it and use a stick to get them out of the tread.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On the effectiveness of RAI's, I have never come across a study or assessment of how effective and/or valuable they really are.

I am amazed how many 4x4's or SUV's I see trundling around the city/suburbs with RAI's and no outward sign of any off road travelling (e.g. kit, racks, dirt etc.) and would not be surprised if many never leave bitumen.

If they do, maybe the occasional unsealed road.

Are RAI's really materially effective in maintaining engine performance if the car is consistently travelling on dusty roads behind other vehicles?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
On the effectiveness of RAI's, I have never come across a study or assessment of how effective and/or valuable they really are.

I am amazed how many 4x4's or SUV's I see trundling around the city/suburbs with RAI's and no outward sign of any off road travelling (e.g. kit, racks, dirt etc.) and would not be surprised if many never leave bitumen.

If they do, maybe the occasional unsealed road.

Are RAI's really materially effective in maintaining engine performance if the car is consistently travelling on dusty roads behind other vehicles?
The obvious side is reduced dust, but I think more importantly it is sucking in cooler air compared to under the bonnet or behind the wheel arch.
I read one report that said the air was up to 30 degrees C cooler through the snorkel.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I have driven through a locust plague, moth plague and mouse plague over the years.
Didn't have a snorkel fitted
First two blocked the windscreen and grill.
last one clogged up the tread in my tyres so bad I had to stop when I got through it and use a stick to get them out of the tread.
You should have a you tube channel. I'd watch that sort of thing :D (not interested in how to get someone to install 4 lithium batteries so I can run my fridge)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The obvious side is reduced dust, but I think more importantly it is sucking in cooler air compared to under the bonnet or behind the wheel arch.
I read one report that said the air was up to 30 degrees C cooler through the snorkel.
I can feel an experiment coming on. "Fact or fiction?"

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Go to the shed supplier and tell them you have lots of ideas and can I have a shed for free or perhaps reduced cost?
Raised Air Intake needs to fit in the shed somewhere (thread mentioned)
I wish.
The basic shed costs $35K plus delivery as a kit
Slab costs $40K at 16 metres wide by 18 metres deep.
Building the shed $12K
fitout and lining the shed $21K
It will have aircon in the right hand half, an office, shower & toilet.
Poly coated floor.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

In light of the devastating floods in New South Wales, there was an interesting par. in the local press recently regarding wading depths. An Emergency Services team wheeled a Nissan Patrol into a concrete culvert which was progressively filled with water. I can't remember all the details, except that once water reached the floorpan, it rapidly gained buoyancy and by the time the water was half way up the doors, the vehicle was essentially floating and could be moved by the team with little trouble. They made the point, that even a gentle current with water level above floor depth could sweep a vehicle off a flooded road.
I learned that lesson 35yrs ago driving across a causeway while returning from a friend's property at night in our DIY camper HiAce van (family aboard!) not realising that the river had risen that afternoon ...the headlights went under momentarily and the steering became particularly light! Thankfully a quick jab on the 'loud' pedal and we were out of it... "If it's flooded -forget it!" is a wise maxim. UK Youtube videos of "Rufford Ford fails" provide stark evidence of human stupidity ...

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There was an interesting par. in the press recently regarding wading depths. An Emergency Services team wheeled a Nissan Patrol into a concrete culvert which was progressively filled with water. I can't remember all the details, except that once water reached the floorpan, it rapidly gained buoyancy and by the time the water was half way up the doors, the vehicle was essentially floating and could be moved by the team with little trouble. They made the point, that even a gentle current with water level above floor depth could sweep a vehicle off a flooded road.
I learned that lesson 35yrs ago driving across a causeway while returning from a friend's property at night in our DIY camper HiAce van (family aboard!) not realising that the river had risen that afternoon ...the headlights went under momentarily and the steering became particularly light! Thankfully a quick jab on the 'loud' pedal and we were out of it... "If it's flooded -forget it!" is a wise maxim. UK Youtube videos of "Rufford Ford fails" provide stark evidence of human stupidity ...
At least that shows the door seals are reasonable also.
I have seen a few youtube videos of flooded 4wds with water pouring out of the doors when recovered.

Back
Top Bottom