The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Raised Air Intake

Oscar01

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything on the forum, if so I'm sorry.

I am evaluating whether to ask the raised air intake, but I have a bad experience when I did it in my Wrangler, from the factory it came out with a beautiful gasoline V6 sound. "heavenly music to my ears", I hope it is understood,…

Once I install the raised air intake, the sound is not pretty, sometimes it is an "ugly sound" when I accelerate fully.

The question is, has anyone heard the diesel engine in both situations, with and without raised air intake?.

I always have the option of not installing the raised air intake, and vacuuming the air filter with the air compressor that I will install in the Grenadier, every day wen I driving in very dusty áreas of course, but if the sound of the engine does not change, I would ask the raised air intake.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:24 PM
Reaction score
Have any of you taken a closer look at the raised air intake? How is it ensured that no water gets in, for example in the car wash or when I clean the Grenadier with the steam jet? Even if I don't deliberately stop at the opening, I can't rule out the possibility of it happening. This is prevented in the case of air intake nozzles with a cap, like the original Defender Air Intake. Possibly the water is separated again at the bottom before it is sucked into the engine by a special construction. What I can't imagine. What is your experience? What do you think?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I assume there is a siphon like construction before the air enters the engine. I don’t think there is a special construction for the raised air intake. It probably will work similar to the solution of the Defender

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I assume there is a siphon like construction before the air enters the engine. I don’t think there is a special construction for the raised air intake. It probably will work similar to the solution of the Defender
I hope so too. However, the pipe and the inlet did not look like it. But you have to expect that water will inevitably enter through the washing.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I don't know about back pressure valves or siphons or the like.

But what I know is that the raised air intake is not waterproof. If the water goes above the intakes mounting point it will enter the suction tract.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't know about back pressure valves or siphons or the like.

But what I know is that the raised air intake is not waterproof. If the water goes above the intakes mounting point it will enter the suction tract.
Right. And what happens in the car wash?
With the Defender it was no problem because of the cover.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hm.

Don't wash it! 💡
I will wash it, but in a wash box by hand, because all car wash in our area are too small for the Grenadier.
So I can have a close look on this matter and avoid to flood the air inlet.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I will wash it, but in a wash box by hand, because all car wash in our area are too small for the Grenadier.
So I can have a close look on this matter and avoid to flood the air inlet.
My Defender with the raised air intake has always been in the car wash and never had any problems.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are many of you considering pre-cleaner for the RAI?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:24 AM
Reaction score
They clearly state it is a raised air intake and not a snorkel however I am going to trust them that they have designed it so the engine isn't destroyed the first time you go out in the rain or wash the car.
What the hell use is a “raised intake” if it isn’t a snorkel like a safari / airtrec etc?

By snorkel I mean apart from the big hole in the top, it is sealed all the way to the airbox. Although I think there is a drain hole in them somewhere that allows for bits of rainwater or whatever that inadvertently get in to clear somewhere.

If that is indeed the case ( I was promised a reply from customer service but never got one) then it’s a delete from me and waste of $1k or whatever the price is. Then I trust Safari will come to the party.

Last edited:
Local time
5:24 PM
Reaction score
If you get the cyclone top you can vary what you stick on top instead to the ridiculously large top spin you could use a smaller clear view just look at the Donaldson site.1668980539382.png1668980569562.png
1668980246291.png1668980539382.png1668980569562.png

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What the hell use is a “raised intake” if it isn’t a snorkel like a safari / airtrec etc?

By snorkel I mean apart from the big hole in the top, it is sealed all the way to the airbox. Although I think there is a drain hole in them somewhere that allows for bits of rainwater or whatever that inadvertently get in to clear somewhere.

If that is indeed the case ( I was promised a reply from customer service but never got one) then it’s a delete from me and waste of $1k or whatever the price is. Then I trust Safari will come to the party.
In theory a snorkel increases your wading depth and is sealed against water getting in to your air intake.
A raised air intake increases the height of your air intake and is sealed against dust getting into your normal air intake, but not water.
I am willing to bet there are a lot of people out there who think they have a snorkel when all they have is a raised air intake.

Inez

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score

Back
Top Bottom