The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Raised Air Intake

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:39 AM
Reaction score
A sealed snorkel probably provides a bit of insurance in case you accidentally and briefly drop into a hole that Is unexpectedly deep, however there is more to wading depth than just the air intake, it is that pluse electrical components, diff breathers and very importantly the level at which the vehicle floats and you lose all traction and control. So it really doesn’t practically raise wading depth. Apart from that slight insurance snorkels don’t add a lot, and RAI even less. Having said that they look quite cool and my Trialmaster comes with one so I will have one. The cooler air and dust arguments are marginal at best, the air a metre or less above the standard intake isn’t really any cooler and if you have ever traveled behind another vehicle on an Australian outback dirt road it will make zero difference to dust intake.
…unless the cyclone is fitted, of course.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:39 PM
Reaction score
The cooler air and dust arguments are marginal at best
That's why I relinquished the RAI, though it admittedly looks good. But the additional drag is considerably high and half a Liter of extra fuel per 100 km is in face of the raising fuel prices imho not worth the look.

And to be honest: I would probably piss my pants in shock if I got into an 80cm deep water hole. I'm just an Overlander, not a hero. ;-)

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's why I relinquished the RAI, though it admittedly looks good. But the additional drag is considrably high and half a Liter of extra fuel per 100 km is in face of the raising fuel prices imho not worth the look.

And to be honest: I would probably piss my pants in shock if I got into an 80cm deep water hole. I'm just an Overlander, not a hero. ;-)
It does look very manly though!
If I park with the other 4WD owners at the local shopping centre and they all have snorkels/RIA's and I don't they will probably point at me and laugh.
The shame and humiliation would be too much

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
O
If I park with the other 4WD owners at the local shopping centre and they all have snorkels/RIA's and I don't they will probably point at me and laugh.

They may be laughing Dave, but only as a salve to hide their immense jealousy.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
O

They may be laughing Dave, but only as a salve to hide their immense jealousy.
I was looking for 4WD club to join up near Hervey Bay on The Fraser Coast but then I thought how could I possibly take the Beast and mingle with all the common folk.
Maybe if there is an old school Defender club nearby

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
I was looking for 4WD club to join up near Hervey Bay on The Fraser Coast but then I thought how could I possibly take the Beast and mingle with all the common folk.
Maybe if there is an old school Defender club nearby
Follow the oil drips and Defenders you shall find!

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, if you can stand the look of it, if I wanted that would definitely be looking at the aftermarket
Could be it’s just too ugly and intrusive for my taste. Was thinking I’d hold out and fit a Donaldson-type filter, those ones that look like a Pyrex dish.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's why I relinquished the RAI, though it admittedly looks good. But the additional drag is considrably high and half a Liter of extra fuel per 100 km is in face of the raising fuel prices imho not worth the look.

There have been a couple of times I found a hole I wasn’t expecting and it can be a butt clenching experience. So far I have been fortunate enough to survive them.

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
DaveB, I did and still do, a fairbit of driving in the outback one way and another and never gave a thought to "where is my high air intake?' The Australian Army would have laughed at me had I requested one Im sure.

Attachments

• self and toyota_edited.jpeg
    self and toyota_edited.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
DaveB, I did and still do, a fairbit of driving in the outback one way and another and never gave a thought to "where is my high air intake?' The Australian Army would have laughed at me had I requested one Im sure.
My son called me one night when he was on an exercise near Darwin
He was being trained on driving vehicles using night vision goggles only.
I think he was in a Unimog then a Landrover.
They had parachuted in and had to drive out.
I don't recall him mentioning a snorkel either on his many drives

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks like the Australian Army have gone 'mod' Bushguide :cool: !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221122_115453_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221122_115453_Samsung Internet.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 44

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
These days they are constipated with Political Correctness DenisM, and they watch too much rubbish on TV. There is no one in the Australian Army these days doing the Field research that I was once doing (by myself) in a 4x4.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My experience as a motorbike offroader is, not to drive through water of unknown depth.

I guess that's not different with cars.
It is no different with cars except crossing rivers in far north Queensland Australia...the Daintree River is the first river that I didn't walk through first and I have spoken about it here some time ago, we floated the back end of the vehicle but stay in touch up front and reach the other side with heart in mouth...crocs are starting to breed out of control if you are fast enough they could be stepping stones in some places in the future...they used to be hunted...happy motoring

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My experience as a motorbike offroader is, not to drive through water of unknown depth.

I guess that's not different with cars.
Totally agree and what I aim for, but people stuff up. On one ocassion I watched another vehicle go through and it was fine, but my line must have been a bit off, on another I walked it, but again I must have gotten the line a little wring and a wheel slipped into a hole.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The beauty of the series Landys is their simplicity. Cover the dizzy cap , all good.
Mind you the winch (a non Landy part) didn't work.

Attachments

• LB.jpg
    LB.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom