The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Raised Air Intake

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:02 PM
Reaction score
In light of the devastating floods in New South Wales, there was an interesting par. in the local press recently regarding wading depths. An Emergency Services team wheeled a Nissan Patrol into a concrete culvert which was progressively filled with water. I can't remember all the details, except that once water reached the floorpan, it rapidly gained buoyancy and by the time the water was half way up the doors, the vehicle was essentially floating and could be moved by the team with little trouble. They made the point, that even a gentle current with water level above floor depth could sweep a vehicle off a flooded road.
I learned that lesson 35yrs ago driving across a causeway while returning from a friend's property at night in our DIY camper HiAce van (family aboard!) not realising that the river had risen that afternoon ...the headlights went under momentarily and the steering became particularly light! Thankfully a quick jab on the 'loud' pedal and we were out of it... "If it's flooded -forget it!" is a wise maxim. UK Youtube videos of "Rufford Ford fails" provide stark evidence of human stupidity ...
My wife and I love watching the Rufford Ford videos!

Local time
9:02 PM
Reaction score
In light of the devastating floods in New South Wales, there was an interesting par. in the local press recently regarding wading depths. An Emergency Services team wheeled a Nissan Patrol into a concrete culvert which was progressively filled with water. I can't remember all the details, except that once water reached the floorpan, it rapidly gained buoyancy and by the time the water was half way up the doors, the vehicle was essentially floating and could be moved by the team with little trouble. They made the point, that even a gentle current with water level above floor depth could sweep a vehicle off a flooded road.
I learned that lesson 35yrs ago driving across a causeway while returning from a friend's property at night in our DIY camper HiAce van (family aboard!) not realising that the river had risen that afternoon ...the headlights went under momentarily and the steering became particularly light! Thankfully a quick jab on the 'loud' pedal and we were out of it... "If it's flooded -forget it!" is a wise maxim. UK Youtube videos of "Rufford Ford fails" provide stark evidence of human stupidity ...
with doors that sort of seal, the vehicle will quickly float

Local time
Reaction score
re: wading depth that a high intake can give you, let’s remember that a vehicle with doors that sort of seal means that the vehicle is a box that can become a boat and then float.
A very rough back of the envelope calculation: suggest that at a water depth of 38” (965 mm) without a heavy load, the Grenadier will start to float off its wheels, BUT, you will lose traction and the ability to resist cross currents way before that.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
Yeah I’m hoping Ronny gets a hd of an Iggy soon.

ASPW however I hope has to wait until the 12th……of never.
With all the stuff ASPW carts in his "make over troopies", I wonder whether he'd be able to adapt to the somewhat smaller interior of the Grenadier...
I was surprised and chuffed to watch a recent RD vid. where he's going "lightweight". For yrs I've packed as for an extended bushwalk when camping with the kids... no hair dryers, coffee machines, washing machines, air-conditioning 😄

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A typical Ronny video.
Full of information and facts
Not bullshit
The only thing he got wrong is the myth or mis-info the raised intake provides cooler air as heat rises. John Codogan (from Auto Expert on YouTube) Auto Engineer explains it better. The Grenie raised air intake looks like 1 piece up to mid-windscreen height. I still question seals to the collector base (inside engine bay prior to air filter box) if it has a bung / valve to drain excess water etc. possibly sucked in from any rain or road spray.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

Well you will need to find some other viewing now then. The local council closed it, for safety and anti social driving reasons.

Apparently there had been an outbreak of raised morale in the area and the council said it needed stamping on before it spread further afield !!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
re: wading depth that a high intake can give you, let’s remember that a vehicle with doors that sort of seal means that the vehicle is a box that can become a boat and then float.
A very rough back of the envelope calculation: suggest that at a water depth of 38” (965 mm) without a heavy load, the Grenadier will start to float off its wheels, BUT, you will lose traction and the ability to resist cross currents way before that.
I never been in water that deep - thats a 'yeah, nah' for me!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The only thing he got wrong is the myth or mis-info the raised intake provides cooler air as heat rises. John Codogan (from Auto Expert on YouTube) Auto Engineer explains it better. The Grenie raised air intake looks like 1 piece up to mid-windscreen height. I still question seals to the collector base (inside engine bay prior to air filter box) if it has a bung / valve to drain excess water etc. possibly sucked in from any rain or road spray.
I think it relates more to the fact that many vehicle take air in from around the engine compartment which adds heat
Also air down near the black road surface tends to be significantly hotter than air 2 metres up

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I didn't look it up in case I discovered I was one..

I discovered the term began a couple of years ago, on a YouTube video. Apparently they love Nissan Patrols, is that right ?

From what I can see the closest thing in the UK is the common a garden CHAV.

They can be regularly found in their favourite watering holes, of McDonalds and Greggs

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I discovered the term began a couple of years ago, on a YouTube video. Apparently they love Nissan Patrols, is that right ?

From what I can see the closest thing in the UK is the common a garden CHAV.

They can be regularly found in their favourite watering holes, of McDonalds and Greggs
We don’t have “Greggs” whatever that is and Nissan patrols may contain bogans but they drive all sorts of things. CHAV is probably pretty close though. There has been a surge in recent years of what are known as cashed up bogans. They will often be seem in heavily modified 70 series Toyota’s pulling a jetski or two behind them.

Back
Top Bottom