The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Raised Air Intake

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
I live near a deep ford not Rufford and it doesn't matter what the vehicles wading depth is the 2 most common causes of failure are
1. Floating away
2. Excessive speed
I would have thought the most common cause of failure was stupidity
Even the morons on those videos who do have capable 4wds come in at such speeds that they could rip off body parts, exhaust, brake components, sensors and cables.
Idiots
Never do a water crossing faster than absolutely necessary

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Even the morons on those videos who do have capable 4wds come in at such speeds that they could rip off body parts, exhaust, brake components, sensors and cables.
Idiots
Some of the recoveries from Rufford ford actually take 'stupid' to a whole new level too!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:24 PM
Reaction score
Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
Idiots
That’s the gist of the off-road motto - as slow as possible, as fast as necessary

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I like the Rufford videos. They are pure entertainment.

Sometimes I sit and watch and play "What's going to happen?". There are two answers: either they fail or they pass. So I predict 'fail' or 'pass.'

If it's a Volkswagen or a BMW, it's usually a failure. With Landies, Discoveries and Range Rovers, the answer is usually 'pass'. But there are many where it's iffy. Most of the time, my predictions are however right.

My wife has already asked me from the living room, "What's with all these 'fail' and 'pass' comments .... ?

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
I see they've permanently closed it now. I can't believe the way people just drive cars through water that deep. The depth markers are clearly visible! Plenty modern cars will hydraulic lock in a big puddle if you hit it fast, the air intakes are so low.
I think its sad when some drivers who clearly don't know any better are encouraged through by the crowd. I wonder how many write offs there have been?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder how many write offs there have been?
A drowned BMW or similar "sophisticated" vehicle can easily yield catastrophic costs.

If the electronics fail, you have a serious problem. How many out of 100 control units are defective? And which ones?

The problem is that usually the OBD, the "door to the vehicle's electronics," is simply lost. What to do then? Even if you were to replace all 100 ECUs (which would probably already be an economic knockout), there would be no guarantee that you would get any response from the OBD. Wiring harnesses and connectors are soggy and also dirty. And changing a wiring harness may require disassembling half the car.

Feasible? Maybe. Affordable? Probably not. If the car was brand new, say 70,000 euros, it still had a value of maybe 60,000 euros before it went down. Replacing all the electronics could cost 30,000 to 40,000 euros - without any guarantee that it will still work afterwards. No dealer will take that risk.

At best, such a car will be traded in for a new car, with an estimated value of maybe 25-35 % of the normal market value. OK, optimistically, maybe 40% ... ?

So:

New car: 70'000 (cost)
40% for the 60'000 Euro value of the car that went down: 24'000 (proceeds)
Balance: 70'000 - 24'000 = 46'000 : this is the amount you would have to pay to restore the former status quo.

A loss of 46'000 euros (pounds, $, whatever) ...

Ok, you then have a new car, but the value immediately drops by 15% due to registration (based on German experience) - and you are back to where you were before - but you lost 46'000 Euro - not to forget your 'Alden' shoes for 1200 Euros, of course ...

That's just my idea of what such an idiotic idea can cost. I might be wrong on the details, maybe 15'000 euros more or less: in the grand scheme of things, I think that's the point. You can break it down to less expensive cars. But I have seen a lot of AUDI A6, BMW 5 series, Mercedes E-class ... ...

In the middle of the ford, at the latest at the end, the lights went out or started flashing in disco mode. When the cars were pulled out, the rear tires locked up because the electronic hand brakes went into safe mode (locked up) and the automatic transmissions didn't know what to do anymore - just to name a few problems.

Congrats & Hallelujah 🥳

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I see they've permanently closed it now. I can't believe the way people just drive cars through water that deep. The depth markers are clearly visible! Plenty modern cars will hydraulic lock in a big puddle if you hit it fast, the air intakes are so low.
I think its sad when some drivers who clearly don't know any better are encouraged through by the crowd. I wonder how many write offs there have been?
I have a Jaguar F-Type and the intake is already extremely low and I have seen some people convert to a pod filter that sits about 6” off the road with no protection at all between it and the road. These people are crazy, a small puddle could drown your car. I can only assume they hardly every drive them.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Seems to follow a pattern then.

Low profile tyres, lowered suspension, low IQ, lowered air filter 😂

I like the sound of “cashed up bogans” takes the whole thing to another level. Perhaps someone could start selling them off-road jet skis.

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No shortage of cashed up bogans here in Townsville. FIFO saw to that. Although it does make for a high turnover of boys toys, jetskis especially.

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No shortage of cashed up bogans here in Townsville. FIFO saw to that. Although it does make for a high turnover of boys toys, jetskis especially.
@Jean Mercier ... FIFO = fly in fly out and refers to (well paid) people who work in remote areas and do just that, typically weekly.

Inez

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Seems to follow a pattern then.

Low profile tyres, lowered suspension, low IQ, lowered air filter 😂

I like the sound of “cashed up bogans” takes the whole thing to another level. Perhaps someone could start selling them off-road jet skis.
Like these:
1676939821081.png

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Pleased to read (I think on a FB post, or on here, can’t recall which) that the build quality on the RAI on production models is vastly improved on the PTO’s with a stronger more textured plastic more in line with aftermarket snorkels. Being able to push the plastic in with your thumb on the PTO’s had me concerned.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:24 PM
Reaction score
Pleased to read (I think on a FB post, or on here, can’t recall which) that the build quality on the RAI on production models is vastly improved on the PTO’s with a stronger more textured plastic more in line with aftermarket snorkels. Being able to push the plastic in with your thumb on the PTO’s had me concerned.
I too saw that, I think it's similar to the usual type of plastics used in most aftermarket snorkels, it definitely has more of a sheen to the finish of it

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Krabby No, because I didn't really look and touch the snorkel. I only asked if they could ask Ineos how I could get the air inlet grid: I will perhaps remove the snorkel when I am not travelling.
But, I put your "comment" question on my "checklist" when I'll do my next visit. Perhaps on next Thursday.
I should go anyway, out of curiosity :p, because they asked me if they can put "my" car in their new showroom once it is ready. Therefore I am almost sure my delivery will NOT be next week :cry:

Back
Top Bottom