The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Minimalist Overlanding in a Grenadier

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:23 AM
Reaction score
1682596888180.jpeg343557451_6476165259081400_6646162675195447761_n.jpgHello all, I thought it might be interesting to hear different views on the minimal amount of kit/gear that you feel necessary to enjoy an overlanding trip, whether for one week, two weeks or a month or more. Most on this forum have the knowledge and the means to build a full on overlanding rig with drawer systems, fridge slides, sleep platforms or roof top tents, possibly an Alucab pop-up, solar panels, shower setup, hot/cold water supply, awnings, etc. you get the picture. Having owned/built these kinds of rigs in the past, but also having travelled the backcountry by motorcycle, I'm thinking it might be interesting to bring more than what can be carried on the back of a bike, but keep it a lot simpler than a built out overlander/expedition rig. I think the Grenadier lends itself to this model as it is incredibly capable as delivered.

My list:
- IG Trialmaster with lockers, winch, sliders, tailgate table, etc.
- Maxtrax & recovery gear.
- Delete the rear seats and put a plate over the electronics to provide a flat load surface.
- Exped Megamat inflatable mattress.
- Down sleeping bag/pillow.
- Jackery 500 Portable Power Station
- ARB 52 qt. Fridge.
- Soft luggage/organization cubes.
- Nemo shower/standalone privacy tent.
- PETT Portable toilet.
- Standalone Wing awning (anchored with one or two lines to IG grab handles).
- Standalone camp table.
- Cook Partner two burner stove.
- Nemo Stargazer chair for outside.
- Kermit chair for sitting inside (should be low enough to allow for stretching out legs, and with plenty of headroom).
I will also pack a large 4 person Big Agnes tent in case the weather gets bad and so I don't feel trapped inside the IG.

Any thoughts/ideas/additions?

Cheers!
1682596888180.jpegAll you need....is in there...somewhere.... Back seats out...............gear in!

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:23 PM
Reaction score
That's what I consider as minimalistic (BTW, these trips has been the best we've ever made...):

Car:
- Land Rover Series 2a 109", Softtop (close to the elements...😘), the rest is pure metal.
Setup:
- Wooden panel with a mattress on it to sleep in the back
- Cooler (for keeping meat cold for us and the dog, maybe also one or two beers)
- Two camping seats (the tailgate is the table)
- One set of dish for me and my wife and the dog and for cooking
- A barbecue
- A gas cooking stove
- A black Swiss Army waterskin (carried in the spare wheel onthe hood during the day) for hot water and showering in the evening
- Some clothing
Full stop.

View attachment 7809555
View attachment 7809556

View attachment 7809557

View attachment 7809558

Cheers
AWo
Nice! - No Petromax?

AWo

Local time
8:23 PM
Reaction score
Nice! - No Petromax?
Which Petromax article do you mean? The strong gas light? We got the HK500 bus the gas mantle tends to break, even if you carry it in that special army box. So no, that ws not on board.

Cheers
AWo

Last edited:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Which Petromax article do you mean? The strong gas light? We got the HK500 bus the gas mantle tends to brake, even if you carry it in that special army box. So no, that ws not on board.

Cheers
AWo
Yes, sorry, the HK500. I have same and find it very useful. Agree the mantles are very fragile.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:23 AM
Reaction score
Which Petromax article do you mean? The strong gas light? We got the HK500 bus the gas mantle tends to break, even if you carry it in that special army box. So no, that ws not on board.

Cheers
AWo
Here's a great hack : when the gas mantle has cooled after use, give it a light dusting with hair spray lacquer! Nothing fancy - a cheap "heavy duty" spray is ideal. A couple of coats strengthen the 'web' and will greatly prolong the mantle life (y)

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:23 AM
Reaction score
Here's a great hack : when the gas mantle has cooled after use, give it a light dusting with hair spray lacquer! Nothing fancy - a cheap "heavy duty" spray is ideal. A couple of coats strengthen the 'web' and will greatly prolong the mantle life (y)
Not being rude but....who uses gas mantle lights these days? I haven't seen one for 20 years

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Not being rude but....who uses gas mantle lights these days? I haven't seen one for 20 years
People like me who like vintage style things....I also use a blade straight razor and shaving cream and not an electric shavor (except when I'm short of time) even if it takes longer....Why? Because I can and I like it.

Cheers
AWo

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The Petromax HK500 is a classic. I love mine.

I love the ceremony of lighting it, regulating it, hearing its sound, and the smell when it is in use.

It is pure contemplation.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:23 PM
Reaction score
That's what I consider as minimalistic (BTW, these trips has been the best we've ever made...):

Car:
- Land Rover Series 2a 109", Softtop (close to the elements...😘), the rest is pure metal.
Setup:
- Wooden panel with a mattress on it to sleep in the back
- Cooler (for keeping meat cold for us and the dog, maybe also one or two beers)
- Two camping seats (the tailgate is the table)
- One set of dish for me and my wife and the dog and for cooking
- A barbecue
- A gas cooking stove
- A black Swiss Army waterskin (carried in the spare wheel onthe hood during the day) for hot water and showering in the evening
- Some clothing
Full stop.

View attachment 7809555
View attachment 7809556

View attachment 7809557

View attachment 7809558

Cheers
AWo
I also have a 109 old Series LWB
But it is clear your wife is very different to mine!
Another 109 owner, ‘65 IIa exMoD.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Many great videos on YouTube of all the Overland gear that sounds great - but you will never need. Part of the exercise is to go out with people who have gear and learn what works for them and why and adapt to what you need versus buying lots of gear (which equals lots of weight) you might never need.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:23 PM
Reaction score
I have a tent in every shape and size, that pretty much cover every weather condition. So I have never invested in a RTT. I'd like to try one, but scared off by the price and my current tent inventory. I will however expand my luxury with a fridge - something I have wanted for a long time.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have a tent in every shape and size, that pretty much cover every weather condition. So I have never invested in a RTT. I'd like to try one, but scared off by the price and my current tent inventory. I will however expand my luxury with a fridge - something I have wanted for a long time.
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 3.05.03 PM.png
Subzero would look great in the back :)

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Another 109 owner, ‘65 IIa exMoD.
Love these with lights on the grill not on the wings. Mine is a 01/1971, so one of the very last...and 1969 the regulations have changed so the lights had to be on the outer wings.

AWo

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:23 AM
Reaction score
Love the sentiment of this thread. I dont really have a list of items because every minimal trip is different. Weather, duration, company etc. but i love keeping the car as empty as possible. Mantra is “the least number of most useful things”. Sometimes not minimal - maybe a full duvet rather than a sleeping bag, but things chosen to be cherished whether large or small, and mostly to be omitted and done without, makes returning to home all the sweeter.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
With all the gear, the Petromax lamps and other stuff which could easily be replaced by lighter, better and more reliable things, "eating" comes to my mind.

Imagine the choice between eating pork or cow, drinking beer or coffee and having some chocolate for the dessert - or - having an infusion bottle over night that supplies you with everything you need to live. Healthy and in the best mixture from a medical point of view.

The second way would rationally be the "better" one - whatever "better" means.

But what was your choice?

I would still prefer to eat. Life does not only consist of necessities, but also of pleasure and irrational rewards.

Starting a Petromax lamp is simply different than just pressing a button. It is a success.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Starting to get ready for our African Overland tour. The rhino rack roof rack is a really well built solid piece of kit and definitely looks far more robust than other makes I’ve had. . I’ve fitted high lift jack brackets, maxtrax brackets, added another spare wheel and tyre onto the roof but didn’t use a specific mount just ratchet straps. Collected my Big Country, Ostrich wing awning from Tuff-Trek yesterday but mounting brackets for Rhino rack not arrived yet so have just ratchet strapped the awning to the roof. Will take the brackets in our luggage when we fly and fit awning on our arrival. Everything locked into place with a security cable and padlock.
Ineos camping table is really solid so very pleased with that. 😎
I don’t think we could be classed as minimalist overlanders though. IMG_2020.jpegIMG_2018.jpegIMG_2019.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom